Roon Core Will Not Update to 1193 (Repeat Issue)

That’s my inclination. But the the static setting was indicated in the Roon instructions for manual port forwarding to get past the Arc test (given the fail message I received on the “Roon Arc” settings tab).
> 1. Static IP - if you’re going to manually configure port forwarding, you’ll want to ensure your Core is always using the same IP address. This can be done by setting a static IP address on your Core or otherwise configuring your network to ensure your Core always uses the same IP
*> *
> 2. Configure Your Router - you’ll need to create a new port forwarding rule in your router that uses these 3 pieces of info

As I mentioned earlier, to date I’ve found no benefit from Arc, but Roon seems determined to put development and support resources into this feature and I kinda hate to be forced to choose between foregoing the option to use Arc and proper updating. I’d prefer to figure out how to solve for both.

Right now, I have set the Roon IP Settings to static but adopted @danny’s DNS recommendation, and set the mask to 255.255.0.0 as it is in the DHCP setting. When the new update drops in about two weeks, I’ll check to see if the core will update in the normal manner. If it does not, I’ll revert the settings to their pre-Arc-modifications statuses and see if that allows for the update download to thoroughly execute.

I guess we’ll see what happens… Unless @support decides to look in on this thread and offer different advice. (I am a little frustrated.)

Sincere thanks for your interest, @mikeb.

Okay, so if you must use static, make sure you have an entry for ip, net-mask, and gateway. The ip address must be within your subnet and something your dhcp server (router) isn’t going to automatically assign to something else. The gateway address will probably be your isp router address. The subnet mask is not something someone recommends, but a constant unique to your network. Look at another device on your network and transpose the values. IP address is unique per device, subnet and gateway is unique per household.

You must know this is, umm, confusing to a person no one would ever describe as a power user. You say the “subnet mask is not something someone recommends,” and yet @ncpl seemed to suggest that the one entered in my web UI settings was incorrect. I don’t expect fellow Roon Community members to hand-hold me through issues like this, but as a Roon customer, I do expect employees of the Roon Team to either (A) design the product and its features to be ordinarily useable by ordinary users, and/or (B) make themselves available through channels like Support to do whatever handholding may be required to enable a paid subscriber to enjoy the full use of the product.

Again, thank you, @mikeb, I appreciate your advice – even when I can’t fully comprehend it. I am sincerely grateful for your effort to help me find a solution.

A subnet mask is not something to discuss, for reasons such as sound quality, it’s a fixed number used in your network to allow things to communicate - period.

Which is why DHCP is there to take care of this for you.

2 Likes

Yes, that much I understand.

But set that way, as it was when the 2.0 (Now with ARC!) update dropped, in the new Roon ARC tab the setup failed the listening test (“Not Ready”). In the “Diagnostics Data” window was showing a message that precisely matched the one provided in the Roon Knowledge Base FAQ “ARC Port Forwarding.”

The instructions for addressing this condition were given in that Knowledge Base article. You can read the instructions below (provided in Roon’s typically taciturn/obscure Knowledge Base style – underlining added, obviously):

Finding instructions for “otherwise configuring your network” unsurprisingly difficult to pin down :angry: (especially for folks using the Nokia BGW320-505 gateway provided by ATT Fiber), I looked up the array of instructions widely, if often contradictorily, on offer in Support threads for setting a static IP for the ROCK device. (I did the best I could). And then I did manage to “create a new port forwarding rule for [my] router” using the info in the bullets. (After a long google search, I tracked down instructions on how to accomplish this on a BGW320 in a section of chat among gamers in an ATT users forum – thanks Roon! BTW, someone in ATT support confirmed this bit of user supplied information – thanks ATT!). So I thought I followed instruction. And…

It worked!

The ARC tab signaled “Ready” and showed the Roon Core IP I had entered and Listening Port 55000 I had set as instructed. All other features and functions were behaving properly.

As I described in my grailquest narrative above, problems only appeared with update 1182 (which I resolved by reinstalling RoonOS as suggested by a Roon Moderator) and again on update 1193 (again “resolved” by reinstalling the OS).

Are suggesting that if I simply revert the switch to “DHCP” in the core Networking setup section of the Web Admin UI – without further efforts to “otherwise configuring [my] network to ensure [my] Core always uses the same IP” – all will be well? Or must I then scour the webs on a quest to figure out how to ensure my Core always uses the same IP? And after all of that, no one has yet said that any of this has anything to do with resolving the original issue of updates not downloading (though @danny did suggest that the DNS server setting was implicated). Is it about these settings?

How would I know? Should I sign up for a course in network design? :man_shrugging:

Excellent :slight_smile:

… at this stage, I would suggest don’t fix what ain’t broke :rofl:

Have a great weakend :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well. I won’t know if it ain’t broke until the next update. But I ain’t fixing nothing until then. :innocent:

You have a great weekend too, @mikeb. Thanks again. Cheers.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.