Roon, could you please get the basic usability stuff out of the way whilst you blaze new trails

Yes, I understand you don’t want the state that I set in the queue to be saved when the queue ends.
So I wonder, how could there be a previous state that should be restored?

It seems to me that you change the shuffle state to be non-persistent, and abandon the possibility of persistent shuffle state. No?

That may be a worthwhile change. But I think it’s just another example of making a choice and abandoning the other option. In Volvos, the seat warmer persists (Swedes think you turn it on in October and turn it off in May), in Mercedes it is turns off when the car is warmed up.

Do you have a richer behavior in mind?

You don’t ever want a persistent state.

What you want is a state where the Shuffle indicator’s Default state is either ON or OFF.

That Default state is the state that the indicator is returned to when the queue has ended, regardless of what an interim Shuffle state has been. The Default state is saved in a hold when a new queue is started and restored when that queue has ended.

One can set a new Default state of the indicator to be either ON or OFF. A default state for the Shuffle indicator is defined by setting the indicator to be either ON or OFF when the queue is empty.

But all this was covered in my original post…

BTW - Not sure what all the camera and seat warmer references are all about.

Ok, maybe I’m slow, I didn’t understand your proposal.

You’re saying

1. Shuffle state set in the queue page is non-persistent (CHANGE)
  2. There is a default shuffle state (NEW). Btw, I think setting the default by setting the regular shuffle state from an empty queue is not easily discoverable and differs from other similar settings, but that’s a detail.
  3. You don’t mention the behavior from the Shuffle action, so I presume you leave it alone, i.e. it ignores the shuffle state.

Now I understand. People can express their views.

(My personal inclination has always been the opposite, that there should be no settings for defaults, that everything should be persistent, simply because the concept of turning something off is obsolete, and hard to understand. What would return us to the default? Turning off the core? I never do. Turning off the remote? There are many remotes, they get turned off and on and are interchanged, they have no robust connection to what is going on. Turning off an endpoint? That stops play to that endpoint, but it continues when I restart. Ending play by pressing pause? Of course not. In your case you suggest the end of the queue. Hmm…)

That’s the whole point. You don’t have to turn something on or off, unless you want to change the state of the indicator. Just like is done now if you want to turn Shuffle ON or OFF. The Default is returned to at the end of the queue.

OK, I give up.

I’m not responding to any more posts. This simple concept has been unnecessarily talked to death.
It’s only my respect for some of your prior posts in other threads that has dragged me this far.

Have a good life.:wink:

1 Like

Mods maybe we can move the shuffle discussion off to a dedicated (referenced) thread and keep this for listing specific unique items kept in one place? @evand I assume this is what your intention was for this thread.

2 Likes

Ya, if something needs extensive discussion the time to do so is if team Roon seek input or clarification.

Filter funnel on every page!

1 Like

A small thing that annoying me is that if for any reason Roon slowing down to load (and this happens wirelessly), start to skip the tracks.
It would make more sense for it to stop playing where it stopped uploading.

In my case the loading problems are not Roon’s fault. I have some situations where i’e to depend on the wifi connection which is not always good. A Roon i would only ask that in these cases it stop/pause playng the song and give me the opportunity to resume from that point when the connection becomes stable

1 Like

Lists that jump back to the top when you open an item and then return subsequently to the list.

A particular example is the Playlists view on the Windows Roon controller. It used to happen on iOS as well but that seems to be fixed, at least I cant reproduce it there at the moment. In Windows it happens all the time.

4 Likes

Glad I’m not the only one that gets irked by that, and it’s such a damned easy housekeeping fix.

7 Likes

I don’t like how some portions of the UI are designed to scroll vertically, and others are designed to scroll horizontally. Especially on a non-touchscreen making everything vertical makes more sense to me, and vertical works just as fine on a touchscreen UI too. The horizontal scrolling is by “page” which is also relatively slower.

I’ve also noted that it takes more interactions (e.g. clicks) in the UI to accomplish certain things or to navigate to certain things than I think is optimal, when compared to other playback software. I feel like the UI could be made more efficient. Right-clicking helps sometimes but not always. Maybe some UI logging to determine what users’ ultimate actions and goals are in the UI, would help identify those actions and goals that should become more intuitive or faster to accomplish.

Another thing I recall sometimes seeing is that Roon will prefer to display metadata (including file metadata) in English over the native language of the metadata. I can’t find a good example right now but I wrote this down a while back when I noticed it.

Some other minor usability issues for me:

• I wish it would pick artwork from an album or track for the artist artwork, if there is no artist artwork.
  • I would like an easy way to partition music (sources) that are accessed by profile.
  • I would like smart playlists like what I can create in iTunes.
2 Likes

I’ve got a 90,000 track playlist with over 15,000 duplicates. Toggle “only show duplicates”, and the duplicates are shown along with the track that’s being duplicated, rendering the feature useless. Also looking at new albums on the Tidal section and the date it was released, clicking “view all” and the dates magically disappear, which is silly. I also think that Roon is a bit behind on using the cloud. I have very little ripped media and most of it is streaming. Roon should have an ancillary app like Roon Go or something, where your playlists are available while not being connected to your core, as a Roon core has absolutely nothing to do with Tidal or Qobuz servers. All playlist info can be kept on Roon’s servers, if it isn’t already.

3 Likes

Everything stands and falls with the meta tags. I solved this by getting all the albums that were not correct by Music Brainz. I do new rips via DBpower amp and have them checked by Perfect Tunes. This is an almost perfect solution for me. It takes a lot of time, but it takes away a very large part of your frustration.

1 Like

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Good luck mate!

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 Like

That’s true if, and only if, the album in question exists in the musicbrainz database. New releases often aren’t and many of the albums I ingest aren’t mainstream popular music so don’t always make their way to musicbrainz. It doesn’t help that when they’re in TiVo the lazy asses over there don’t bother to populate track timings and in some cases even track titles - that shitty metadata persists in TiVo and is growing exponentially since allmusic.com ceased to own the database, but especially so since TiVo got their paws on it. That in turn leads to Roon being unable to identify said albums.

I’m lucky that with a 40 plus year old taste in music, the various websites have had plenty of time to update their databases :rofl:

5 Likes

I had ripped and tagged(/checked tagging) about 2000 albums before I installed Roon, so even when some albums were unidentified in Roon, I have the right metadata for those.
As such I continue to check/add metadat for every single album (ripped CD or download) before I add it to a Roon watched folder.
I agree that in principal I should trust Roon to do the job for me, but old habits do not die (or albeit very slowly).
The disadvantage is that for Classical albums, the metadata is not completely in line with Roon. The advantage is I can handle boxsets perfectly fine (if need be as individual albums with a boxset tag).
As long as Roon depends for 100% on third parties for acquiring metadata, I will keep on tagging myself.
Dirk

2 Likes

Pretty much ditto here, nothing gets added to Roon without my first having tagged it using puddletag or Picard.

It is difficult to hold ROON responsible if the metadata does not exist. Of course I do not know where you get your music from, but I have never known that DBpoweramp gives no time indication on CDs that are not known. If there are no meta tags for the rest, I enter the titles and performers myself and manually search for the album photo or scan them. If you do this in this way, ROON will recognize the titles and the album. It costs a lot or time but it gives me the result I want.

None of my albums get added to Roon without titles, and track duration is readily available from ty track itself - problem is Roon doesn’t necessarily have track info and/ or duration info and thus considers the album unidentified.

I often buy from nugs, bandcamp, 7digital and artist website if they offer lossless content. I’ve even had artists send me albums via Dropbox!