Roon, could you please get the basic usability stuff out of the way whilst you blaze new trails

I may be mistaken here (chime in if so), but a while back, when I asked how I could edit a personal compilation album to introduce some cover art (to replace the cross-hatched grey and black default), I was told it could only be done on a Windows PC. I run ROON on a Linux-based (Sonicorbiter OS) server and control it with an iPad mini. It’d be nice to select an album cover online and replace the default by merely using the iPad mini, as I can do all the other editing that way. First World problems!

Have you ever tried to change the preference of meta tags from ROON to file in the settings / library / import settings?

No. I’ll take a look at that this evening. Thanks for the suggestion.

Yip, doesn’t make an otherwise unidentified album identified though, so unless you’ve added label, genre, composer and other metadata yourself it doesn’t pull through from what Roon may otherwise have.

Would that only be effective if I select some album art and file it in the appropriate album folder in the external HDD - offline from ROON (e.g. on a Windows PC), before reconnecting the HDD caddy and rescanning my library?

If you add a file folder.jpg or cover.jpg to the folder the album resides in Roon should automatically detect and use it.

So, no ‘ad hoc’ editing possible just within ROON, i.e. I will need to make a note of all album covers defaulted to the grey/black picture then effect corrections outside of ROON before a rescan. It’s what I expected to be honest, but just wondered if there was a way of tidying things up within ROON. Thanks for confirming.

Not from a tablet, no. Only team Roon knows why given you can do so from any desktop based Roon client.

But you can?
Edit the album, go to Album Cover, and select the Custom field.

It does need an URL though, which can be a PITA when it comes to images online. It should of course accept local images as well…

Ah yes, the dreaded URL caveat - thanks for reminding me why I originally baulked at the idea of attempting to edit in Roon. It would be great if you could just paste a .jpg taken from a webpage…whilst using a tablet. Without that, what with me running a headless Linux-based server, I’ve no option but to add cover art offline from Roon then rescan.

From a tablet or smartphone?

The simplest way would be to use a desktop Roon (Remote) installation for editing, there you can select a picture. There are also other operations that are unavailable or limited on Android\iOS even the landscape UI. The portrait UI is not intended for editing at all, just for viewing/playing content.

From a tablet, an iPad to be specific. I think that’s what @Dave_Woollard asked about in his previous post. :slight_smile:

Is that necessary if you put cover.jpg/folder.jpg files in the affected folders?
I can imagine a Rescan of the particular album would suffice, but perhaps thats what you meant.

Sorry, yes, I meant that I’d need to paste into the same folder as the wav files (in my case) then reconnect the SSD caddy to my server before finally rescanning.

1 Like

I guess the use of a Windows-based server would be more flexible in this regard, but I simply can’t abide all the updates!

Sticky preferences. When I select a sort order, keep it that way! All pages that have sorts.

3 Likes

Chromecasts and webcast displays appropriate for classical music. Namely, composers prominent, full work names, current part names and artists. I don’t think there is one display template for all genres.

Drag and drop that actually works!

1 Like

No. The use of a Windows Based client PC (or Mac). The server OS itself has no bearing on this.