Bluesound Powernode / Network
Hifiberry Dac / Network
2x Bluesound Pulse / Wifi
Hifiberry Amp / Wifi

Number of Tracks in Library

20’000

Description of Issue

Hello all,

I am a lifetime Roon user and have been since the beginning. Unfortunately my setup never worked properly or caused problems and now I wanted to change that with a Roon Core.

But now this system is also constantly causing problems and I need help.

The problem is this: After a few hours of operation, the system crashes and is also no longer accessible via URL. After a reboot, which I have to trigger manually, it works again.

My attempts to solve the problem are as follows: Reinstall Roon Core and restore the data via backup. Unfortunately, this did nothing.

Can I read an error code somewhere and send it to a professional?

Many thanks,
Leandro

How is your core connected to your router? Via ethernet cable, or via the mesh WiFi?

Are your core and all of the remotes & endpoints on the same subnet? The IP addresses should all be XXX.XXX.XX.Y where only the Y is different. If any of the Xs are different you have doubleNAT going on which isn’t uncommon with mesh networks.

Your logs will also show up any errors with the system.

These can be found in the Roonserver>Logs folder on your core machine.

Hello, thank you very much for your help.

All are connected to the Wifi Mesh. But the Roon Core, the NAS and the Bluesound Powernode are connected via Ethernet cable. No, the IPs are not all in the same subnet. That means I have to give them all static IPs?

The router only serves as an access point.

Maybe that happens because your library has exceeded the below recommendations?

" NUC11TNHi3 with 4GB RAM and 128GB M.2 SSD for small to medium-sized libraries"

The logs might provide some insight if that is indeed the case …

Hello
Enclosed, I am sending a link with the logs. Can you see anything from them?
Thank you very much for your help.
Leandro

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1-hU6gVh3rfyjyms6cxd5AQ5ScXE4KOVc?usp=share_link

Up ‘til now you’ve been talking to Roon users (i.e. not Roon personnel) so tagging @support for the log reading task.

Did you really mean you have 20,000k tracks? That’s a lot. Did you mean 20,000 tracks?

No, it just means that you should have only one DHCP server (on the Zyxel or the mesh) and it should provide dynamic IP addresses from one subnet to all your Roon-related devices.

I don’t know what 20,000k tracks was supposed to mean in the opening post. That would be 20 million tracks and seems unlikely.

But if we are dealing with 20,000 tracks and not 20,000k, that’s just a medium size library, probably about 2,000 albums. The recommendation for large libraries starts at 12,000 albums, which is more like 120,000+ tracks

And he has 16GB RAM anyway, so this wouldn’t be the issue with 20,000 tracks.

With 20,000k tracks very little hardware will work, certainly not a NUC :wink:

Sorry guys, of course I mean 20k or 20’000 tracks. Thanks for the tip, I will add the support. Regarding routers, I have already assigned static IPs, which could be the problem. I’ll try dynamic ones then.

Static, reserved, dynamic; it makes no difference. As long as your devices are on different subnets they can’t communicate with each other.

You need to fix this.

BTW - Assigning static or reserved addresses in your router is a good thing, unless it conflicts with any static address you may have set on the device itself. I reserve addresses for all my devices.

What I noticed in the provided RoonServer_log.02.txt is :

Trace: [library] finished with 51247 dirty tracks 8805 dirty albums 72364 dirty performers 19960 dirty works 28278 dirty performances 1262 dirty genres 248 dirty auxfiles 149 dirty countries 9 dirty periods 39 dirty forms 5381 dirty places 1803 dirty creditroles 2517 dirty labels 0 clumping tracks…
Info: [library] retaining all genres since we have streaming service

What does ‘dirty’ signify?

Also there are plenty of entries like:

Warn: bad track/media “CD” in Musik HD…

and while Roon is processing these, MUSE is also enabled:

“type”:“parametric_equalizer”,“enabled”:true …
“type”:“headroom_adjustment”,“enabled”:true…
type":“sample_rate_conversion”,“enabled”:true

I don’t know here specifically, but in programmer usage generally the term is used when you have an object in memory that has changed in its content, but the new content has not been synced back to the database/disk.

E.g., when you open a file and edit it, it is said to be dirty until it is saved

A quick search later will bring you an official Dev comment…

3 Likes

Iif you go under Settings / Library and look under Skipped Files, do you see anything listed?

I just looked at the log - the Core is @Leandro_Fina’s

Does the NUC run without crashing with Win/Linux when Roon is not running?
Maybe it’s related to RAM failure…

I don’t know, as he only has Roon on it, I’ve never tried it. Nor has he ever seen a screen again. Should I try it and so you don’t see this in the logs? Usually it takes 2-3 days and then it shuts down. Which just happened to me again…

Hello, can anyone help me here?
@support

Hi @Leandro_Fina,

If you could please confirm that all your Roon devices are first on the same local subnet, that would be helpful.

After that, please reproduce the issue and share the specific UTC date and time.

And with that, if you’d like, we can enable diagnostics mode for your account, which will send over a set of logs from your Core device automatically, and then upload to our servers for analysis.

If you’d rather do it yourself manually, please use the directions found here and send over a set of logs to our File Uploader.

Thanks!

Hi, thank you very much for your help. The devices are all on the same subnet. Since I rarely listen to music during the problem, I have no way of knowing when the problem occurs. You are welcome to set up a remote log.