Roon Crashes at Least Once a Day

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Windows 10 - Version 20H2 (OS Build 19042.746)
HP EliteOne 800 G1
8 GB RAM
SSD (120 GB) Boot and application drive
Small ALAC library of about 400 Albums on internal spinning disk (450 GB)
Tidal integration
Latest GFX Chipset driver 20.19.15.5144 (Dec 7 2020)
Roon Version 1.7 (Build 710) Stable (64bit)
Audio analysis was given 4 cores, then turned onto “throttled” after about 36 hours.

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Onboard Intel Ethernet Adaptor, cabled to switch.

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

2 x Raspberry Pi with Ropiee (Roon Bridge version 1.7 (build 571) Stable
1 x Apple TV (Airplay)
1 x Marantz Sr6008 (Airplay)

Description Of Issue

Morning all

This issue started from day 1.

I’m a new Roon user and loving what it can do, however I need to resolve this issue in order to become a paying customer (I have 6 days of my trial left).

At least once a day, Roon crashes. In light of the nature of the event description I’ve ensured various driver updates are done and all Windows updates are complete. This happens no matter what audio devices are attached. All audio devices are cabled connections.

Event found in Application Log

Application: Roon.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.AccessViolationException
   at Broo.Engine.OpenGL.Gl.glClear(Int32)
   at Broo.Engine.DeviceTarget.Begin()
   at Broo.Engine.Engine.Render()
   at Broo.Engine.DeviceTarget.GuiMainLoop()
   at Sooloos.Application.Main(System.String[])

Followed by:

Faulting application name: Roon.exe, version: 1.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5fd7dd5f
Faulting module name: ig75icd64.dll, version: 20.19.15.5144, time stamp: 0x5ebf3f11
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000000011bbf
Faulting process id: 0xe4
Faulting application start time: 0x01d6fa2a66c048de
Faulting application path: C:\Users\lga\AppData\Local\Roon\Application\Roon.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ig75icd64.dll
Report Id: 22959d95-fb8b-45c5-a5a4-07a83a6a20c6
Faulting package full name: 

Please let me know what else can provide.

Thanks!

It looks like a graphics issue. What is the graphics card in that PC? Ifnit is the Intel chip, try downloading the drivers from Intel.

Also, you might try the 32 bit version

I agree - hence the drive changes and upgrades done.

It uses the integrated Intel HD Graphics 4600 chipset. I’ve done a number of driver changes with the same outcome.

Do you mean move to the 32 bit version of Roon Core??

Yes 32 bit version of Roon.

Thanks for the reply.

I really don’t think that is an appropriate solution, this issue should be resolved. I don’t think its unreasonable to use the 64 bit version of the product on a 64 bit platform.

Can the support team not further troubleshoot this issue before I have to start doing re-installs…?

I’ve looked into using the Intel Drivers, however they will not install as HP have custom drivers.

It looks awfully like the Windows 10 upgrade a ew weeks back caused issues with Drivers, I had an issue on my wife’s PC , but not mine !!, where all audio stopped . A driver refresh fixed it.

Another user here had the same issue and reinstalled drivers

Windows is normally so Good :heart_eyes:

Thanks for the response Mike - I’ve been through all the drivers and ensure I have the latest or correct HP version as required.

Should I have received a ticket number?

I’d really like to purchase Roon on a long term basis, but if I cannot solve this problem, it will be a non-starter sadly…

Thanks all.

@support - please could I have some input here, let me know further logs or information I can provide.

Many thanks

I take it you didn’t try the 32 but version.

According to your computer’s HP spec sheet, it has 2 gpus, the integrated Intel one and a Radeon HD 7650A

So, you might want to try and tell Windows to use the Radeon graphics when running Roon instead of the Intel. HP might include a program that allows you to do that, I’m not sure. However, here is a site with some directions on how to set it up via Windows 10. https://www.itechtics.com/use-specific-gpu/

Thanks Rugby - no, I didn’t try the 32 bit version. I feel we should work towards solving the problem, rather than installing a different edition. It feels like a bandaid.

The all in one doesn’t actually have two GPUs, there were two options. As this is/was a business machine it got the Intel chipset sadly…

Based on what reasoning do you think the the 32 bit version wouldn’t have the same issue in this scenario?

Appreciate the input.

Experience - Because 32 bit change has fixed similar issues

Thanks @Mike_O_Neill - I was hoping to get to the Roon Core of this, sorry root cause of the problem :slight_smile: , rather than just throw a different version at it…

Ok, I gave up, uninstalled Roon server 64 bit, removed DB and settings. I then installed Roon Server 32 bit and the Windows 32 bit App.

Will keep you in the loop.

2 Likes

Hi @LarryGA,

As others have mentioned that snippet appears to be related to a graphics driver crash, I would check to see if there is any change in behavior with the 32-bit version, but if not I would try running the Intel Update tool:

Let us know if that helps!

Thanks @noris - I did try this, however due to the propriety nature of the machine, it wouldn’t update the driver and pointed me back to HP.

That being said, I did update to a very recent HP driver (7 Dec 2020)

I’ve test a number of scenarios and the only app that crashes us Roon.exe.

I’ll see how the 32 bit version goes and feedback.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 34 hours. New replies are no longer allowed.