ROON Crashes, I'm Lost, Please Help

I have had this happen quite a few times over the last few months. First I am running roon on a Dell Inspiron 15 7568 with i7, 16G RAM, 512 SSD and Windows 10. Music files reside on WD 6TB MYCLOUD NAS, connected the Schitt Bifrost. I open Roon and it seem to be loading, stops and closes itself. Try again and the same thing happens. Seems that the only way to get it to stop is to rename the local app data file old and re-download ROON again, which means I have to reload 2.5TB worth of music files again and this takes a while. I also use the laptop for work and disconnect from the network to bring to the office. Is there any way I can have someone in the community, or at ROON Labs look at my latest log files and try to discern what happens to cause the crashing and shut down? This is driving me nuts.

Hello @Gary_D_Amato,

Thanks for contacting support, I’d be happy to take a look over this issue with you. Just to confirm, when this issue occurs, Roon does not open at all and it is not displaying the Library in any sort of way and just closing by itself?

We can certainly take a look at logs if you want us to. I have gone ahead and enabled diagnostic mode on your account and what this action will do is next time your core is active, a set of logs will automatically be generated and uploaded to our servers for analysis. I kindly ask for you to reproduce the issue once more and note the exact day and local time that it occurs so that we can cross-reference that time for any errors in the logs. Please let me know that time stamp and we can continue from there.

Thanks,
Noris

Hopefully the issue will show up again so you can see what happens. How can I send the logs I have saved so you can ook at them. Do I need to attach then to an email?

Hello @Gary_D_Amato,

Since I have enabled diagnostic mode on your account, I can confirm that our servers have received the logs from your machine already, no need to send them to us. Can you please let me know when you noticed this issue so that I can check for errors around that time? Please include a date/time to the best of your ability or if you are able to reproduce, please reproduce the issue once more and let me know the new time/date of failure.

Thanks,
Noris

Today I plugged in the laptop and played a couple of tracks from Bowie’s Ziggy Stardust. After a couple of songs I tried to go to my TIDAL link and that is when it happened. I am not sure of the time, but it couldn’t have been more than 30 minutes after opening ROON.

Hello @Gary_D_Amato,

Thanks for letting me know around what time this issue occurred at. It seems that our diagnostic system was only able to retrieve the log information from the time after you have performed the renaming of the app to _old and no information is present from before that.

It appears that you renamed the Roon folder around 1:43PM and in the diagnostic info after the rename I am unable to find any mentions of crashes. Can you please send us the logs from the Roon_old folder? I will PM you shortly on how to get those files over to us.

If this issue occurs again please let me know and upload the logs to our server before you perform the renaming again.

Thanks,
Noris

Sent the log known as…Logs.rar

Hello @Gary_D_Amato,

Thank you for submitting those Logs, I can confirm our servers have successfully received them. I have gone ahead and forwarded them to the QA team for analysis, I will be sure to let you know once they have completed their report and have forwarded it back to me. Please let me know if you run into any other issues in the meantime while this happens on our end.

Thanks,
Noris

Hello @Gary_D_Amato,

I have just received the report back from the QA team, and they have possibly identified a file that could be causing issues with the old database:

WDMYCLOUD\Public\Shared Music\ROON\801 Greatest Hits of the 70's\Rhiannon.aiff

Can you please perform the below steps in order:

• Send us that file for analysis via our uploader (I will PM you instructions shortly on how to do so)
  • Rename your current Roon Folder to Roon_new, rename the Roon_old that was causing issues to Roon
  • Remove that file from your watched folder location
  • Attempt to start the old Database up again and let us know if it is still crashing with the Rhiannon file removed

I look forward to your reply.

Thanks,
Noris

I am using ROON 64 bit for Windows 10 on a Dell Inspiron 15 7569 with Core i7 and 16G RAM. Sometimes when I power up the laptop ROON begins to load then disappears and I end up having to reinstall ROON, which means importing all 3TB of music files to it again. This has happened so many times I have lost track. I need someone to look at my log files to see if there is anything at my end that can be done to stop this madness. How do I attach a zip file containing the logs?

Hi @Gary_D_Amato,

I’ve moved your post into your previous topic on this subject. @noris mentioned above that our team was able to identify a file that is possibly causing the behavior you’re seeing. Were you able to try the steps listed above?

Thanks!

1 Like

Logs.rar

I have uploaded my latest logs before the crash. Please help if you can.

Gary D’Amatp

[Personal information removed by Support Staff]

Hi @Gary_D_Amato,

Is this the same behavior that you were previously reporting (i.e. has the issue ever gone away)?

@noris previously mentioned:

Have you been able to give this a try yet?

Will try it shortly

Hi @Gary_D_Amato,

I just wanted to check in here with you to see if you have been able to follow the previously outlined steps or if you had any questions or concerns. Please let me know your results when possible.

Thanks,
Noris

1 Like

Deleting that file and folder from the NAS worked! Thanks.

1 Like

Hi @Gary_D_Amato,

Glad to hear that deleting that file worked and that it resolved the issue!

Thanks,
Noris

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.