Linn Majik DSM 2009 variant, software version 4.88.439, connected ethernet
Number of Tracks in Library
Description of Issue
In recent months, hardly any backup of the database succeeds. There are always errors when backing up the database.
After restarting the core, the music runs on the Linn device, but there are also repeated failures.
My last successful backup is from June 12th. If I now restore the database from it, interim information is gone. I’ve created a restore before. But the issues remain.
SSD Drive is o.k. - status: verified
I tried a backup to the MacBook’s internal drive. I started the backup and send the Mac to sleep. Then again the same message: “There was an issue loading your database”