Roon crashes while importing local library

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Intel NUC8i5BEK - Intel Core i5-8259U - 16 GB RAM - 1 TB SSD - Windows 10 Home Edition (64 bit) - latest Roon Core download from website

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Intel NUC connected via ethernet cable to TP-Link Switch TL-SG108 which is connected via cabled network to modem from my internet provider

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

none - can’t get to point where I can use Roon to play music

Description Of Issue

Hi all,

Last Friday I’ve tried to install Roon on 14-day trial on my new Intel NUC used as a mediaserver (Plex is also running on it, without any issues).
Installation of Roon went smooth, however the issue starts when I select a folder where my music library is stored (combination of mp3 files + FLAC / stored on separate partition of SSD in Intel NUC / folder format: Artist/Album / around 3500 albums which was previously used in iTunes)

Roon then starts importing all the albums and reaching around 1500 to 2000 albums before it crashes. If I then try to reopen Roon, the start-up screen shows (with the quote) and then it shuts down again before actually opening the Roon software itself.

Actions I’ve taken to try and resolve the issue:

• rebooting
  • removing Roon completely and reinstalling --> didn’t solve the issue, Roon once again crashes when processing part of my albums (tried this 3 times already)
  • removing and reinstalling graphic card drivers as was recommended in previous topics
  • checking firewall settings, but nothing Roon-related is being blocked

Logs can be found at:
logs

Hope somebody can assists with this issue, especially since I was really looking forward to testing Roon.

thanks,
edraket

Don’t do a full import, import your library in parts. This is possibly a file Roon doesn’t like so splitting you import might point to the area this file is. Alternatively Roon support may be able to identify a corrupt file from the logs.

I’ve split up my library in various, scanned for any corrupted files with MP3val (and removed some issues). I was able with iterative cycles of re-installing of Roon to locate the albums that were causing some issues. There were also some issues with special characters in file names (ex. album Bon Iver - 22, A Million).

Now my library is fully loaded in Roon and working like a charm.
Thanks for the help!

2 Likes

In this type of situation (not exactly uncommon) why can’t Roon give the user a clue as to where the issue is rather than just try the same thing again (presumably) and keep crashing out? Digging through cryptic logs, especially when you are just starting out with Roon, should not be necessary and is not a great advert for the product for a new or trial user.

Good news. Glad I could be of some help.

You won’t find me disagreeing. But Roon does go further than most in its analysis of files. I put everything through SongKong these days which is much more Roon friendly than the old open source tagging options.

Hi @edraket,

Welcome to the forum!

Thanks for letting us know that the issue is resolved!

Can I please ask that you send me the files that were causing the issue? I have sent you a private message on where you can upload them, I’d like to get these files over to QA for further investigation, thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.