Roon crashing at startup

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Win10 / i7 4790K / ASUS Z97-PRO GAMER /

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

TEXT GOES HERE

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

onboard audio

Description Of Issue

ROON keeps crashing at startup. ROON was playing yesterday evening and suddenly stopped working. restarting the program keeps crashing roon. There’s no on-screen error message.

I can send you the log files if you tell where to send them to.

A post was split to a new topic: Roon crashing on Windows 10

Hi @Dirk_Maeyens,

Does Roon start to open up at all?

Can you confirm what GPU your machine is using? Is the graphics driver fully up to date?

If you disable any firewall or antivirus temporarily is there any change?

Hi,

Roon does open up and I can see the screen with albums. At that point it freezes and after some seconds aborts the program. Disabling the antivirus / firewall doesn’t help.

The GPU is Intel HD Graphics 4600 (on the motherboard). Did all the windows updates but no help.

Dirk

HI Dirk,

Do you have Tidal or Qobuz integration? And are you running Roonserver and Roon on the same machine or just Roon or RoonServer?

You mention onboard audio, I assume you are running Realtek Drivers?

Hi,

No Tidal or Qobuz. Roon has been running on this PC since jan 2018.
No hardware changes or so. Running Roon and Roonserver on the same machine.
The drivers are listed as “Microsoft” drivers.

Exactly the same as what mine is doing…

Hi @Dirk_Maeyens,

Can you confirm that the graphics drivers are fully up to date?

Can you confirm what Windows update version your machine is running?

If you use the 32bit version of Roon is there any change?

Just a week or so ago, I ran into a situation where Roon would startup and then Crash, leaving me a couple of seconds to click each time.

One of the things which I did which seems to have resolved my Issue was to correct an error with Microsoft’s Temporary Internet Files. Somehow they had been moved, resetting them to the default location worked.

Hi,

All drivers are up-to-date and windows update doesn’t list any updates.
No change when trying the 32 bits version.
The windows version is 18362.267

Hi @Dirk_Maeyens,

I was hoping you could use the directions found here and send us over a set of logs using a shared Dropbox link.

Hi @Dirk_Maeyens

The logs were received and I’ve passed them along to the team for analysis. I’ll reach out as soon as I’ve received feedback from them.

Hi @Dirk_Maeyens,

I spoke with the team regarding their investigation into your report and wanted to follow up with you.

In the logs that you’ve shared with us, the team is seeing traces of Out of Memory errors that appear to be causing the issue you’re seeing. With a large library like yours, a decent amount of memory and storage space is required, so that is the first place to look.

Can you confirm how much RAM and storage space is available on the device? When this behavior is occurring what does memory usage look like on the machine?

Hi Dylan,

Thanks for the follow up. I have 24 GB DDR3 RAM in this computer.
When starting ROON the total memory utilisation is about 24% and goes gradually up to 48%. (just before crashing)
Regarding storage I have a 500MB SDD and 2TB HDD. On the SDD there’s about 160MB free space and on the HDD there’s 1.5 GB available.
My library resides on a NAS with 6 TB free space.

Hi @Dirk_Maeyens,

This SSD is where the Roon database is stored, correct? If you are able to free up some space on the SSD, is there any change when more space is available?

Hi Dylan,

Correct ROON is running on the SDD. I managed to free up 268MB on that drive.
Unfortunately ROON is still crashing.

Dirk

Thanks for giving that a try, @Dirk_Maeyens.

268MB isn’t a lot of space, so that could be playing into things. I’ve passed this along to the team for further feedback on this.

Has this drive always had roughly this amount of space left on the drive?

One test that might be good here is to try restoring a backup of this database on a different Core that has more space. When you do this do things work for you?

Hi Dylan,

ROON was always on this setup and the free disc space was always around 200MB. I can’t migrate this to another computer but I did try to rename the database directory so ROON had to create a new one. In that instance ROON worked OK.

Hi @Dirk_Maeyens,

When you did this, did you import all of your local media as well?

No, there were only like 5 albums there but they did play