Roon crashing on Windows 10

I’m having the same problem on a W10 machine since about the same time. When I try to start, Roon’s logo does it’s little dance, then it goes to the active page (Library, Queue, etc), freezes for about 10 seconds, and then it closes. Can’t listen to anything. Please help!

Hi @Steven_Hinchliffe,

So we can better assist you, please provide a brief description of your current setup using this link as a guide.

Make sure to describe your network configuration/topology, including any networking hardware currently in use, so we can have a clear understanding of how your devices are communicating.

This was working for you previously, correct? Was there any change to your setup around the time this started occurring? Any Windows updates or anything like that?

Hi @dylan First issue so sorry for the lack of info. My roon Core is running:
Windows 10 version 1809 OS build 17763.615
Intel i5-7400, 8gB
Running a full ethernet network through a netcomm modem, into both a SB touch and an uRendu (different zones).
Music is stored both on the Roon core machine and streaming via Tidal.
Everything was fine up until about 30 hours ago; now the core won’t start up (as described in my previous post).
AFAIK my latest windows update was about 10 days ago, maybe a little more.
I hope that helps…
Cheers, Steve

Thought it was somehow fixed; it just loaded, played half a song… and then shut itself down again. :frowning:
@dylan any updates from your side?

Hi Steven,

Just tried my system once more and strangely the same thing happened at my end. About 20 sec of music, freezing up and aborting the program.

1 Like

So something is clearly up; too much of a coincidence I think…

Hi @Steven_Hinchliffe,

If you use the 32bit version of Roon does that work for you?

Hi @dylan so you want me to download and install the 32bit version? I can, but why did the 64bit version stop working? Even if this works, a workaround isn’t really a solution?

using the 32bit as a test helps narrow down the causes of the crash.

1 Like

I just tried 32bit, and it crashed even faster than the 64bit version…

Try playing through the speakers/headphone socket of the PC itself rather than to a network endpoint. (another diagnostic)

Not saying the problems are the same. However, just a week or so ago, I ran into a situation where Roon would startup and then Crash, leaving me a couple of seconds to click in the program.

I did two things that seemed to correct the issue. The first was to disable my streaming services. Restart Roon, and then test with a local file, better but still some issues. Then, I reset my Temporary Internet Files location to the Windows default. Tested with a local file again, no issues. Enabled my streaming services. Haven’t had an issue since.

Sorry @ged_hickman1 and @Rugby , neither of those 2 are possible. Although roon’s last active screen opens up and displays the cursor, the buttons are unresponsive, ie: clicking doesn’t do anything. I think my Internet files are already set to default location (I haven’t ever changed them).
What’s next? This is getting a little annoying… :frowning:

When was the last windows update on the system?

I think around 10 days ago…

2 posts were split to a new topic: Roon crashes on Windows 10

@Vog I’m running Intel integrated HD graphics card (630)

Just a thought but what brand Anti Virus are each of you useing?

–MD

@dylan @ged_hickman1 @Rugby @Dirk_Maeyens @Vog
FWIW I just did a manual update to windows 1903 (apparently the only way to switch from previous 1809).
Sorry to say, it didn’t help at all…
I also tried logging out of Tidal (from Tidal’s home screen) and restarting Roon; still doesn’t work…
Can we please get a status update from someone at Roon to at least let us know they’re looking into it?
Cheers, Steve

A post was split to a new topic: ROCK Core - Roon crashing