Roon crashing on Windows 10

Hi @Steven_Hinchliffe,

I was hoping you could use the directions found here and send us over a set of logs using a shared Dropbox link.

A post was split to a new topic: Roon quit working after 3 tracks

@dylan What email address do you want me to share it to?

Send him a Private Message (PM) via the forum - click on his avatar icon, then click on the blue Message button to create a message to send to him.

Hi @Steven_Hinchliffe,

As Geoff mentioned, please send it via a link in a Private Message. Thanks!

Doneā€¦ Please let me know how you get on with this. Itā€™s been almost a week nowā€¦

Hi @Steven_Hinchliffe,

The logs have been received and passed along to the team for review.

In the meantime, can you confirm if the same behavior occurs if you disable any firewall or antivirus on the Core machine?

@dylan
With the firewall switched off it allowed me to click through albums, played the first 11 seconds of 1 song, and then again shut down. This is the same as a few days ago (post #4) when I had the Firewall on, so I donā€™t think it makes any differenceā€¦

Hi @Steven_Hinchliffe,

Can you verify how many tracks are in your library overall?

If you disable the connection to the watched folders so that Roon isnā€™t pulling media from there is there any change?

@dylan
There are approx 2100 albums in my library, so probably around 15000 tracks. About 600 of those albums are on my hard drive, the rest on Tidal.

How do I disable the connection to watched folders? If I need to open Roon to do it, chances are I canā€™t- as previously stated, most of the time when I try to open it, itā€™s either unresponsive, or crashes within a few secondsā€¦

@dylan
I see in a similar thread @mathias_belevid set up a new database and seems to have at least temporarily solved his issue.
How do I do that?

Hi @Steven_Hinchliffe,

Since itā€™s an internal drive and not a NAS or USB drive, moving the media out of this folder would be the only option here. As an alternative, letā€™s try using a fresh database.

You can set up a new database by doing the following. Please do this and import your media and let us know if the same behavior persists with this database:

• Stop Roon on the Core machine
  • Navigate to your Roonā€™s Database Location
  • Find the folder that says ā€œRoonā€
  • Rename the ā€œRoonā€ folder to ā€œRoon_oldā€
  • Restart/Reinstall the Roon App to generate a new Roon folder

@dylan
Iā€™ve installed a new database a few hours ago, and so far itā€™s working properly. Even if this remains stable Iā€™d still like to see if we can resolve the issue, as Iā€™ve lost all my playlists and playback history (date added/most played/etc).
Also, thereā€™s a few corrections to your suggested fix which I had to make:

1. The database location on your ā€œhow toā€ page needs to be updated. It is located in ā€¦/appdata/local/ā€¦ and the easiest way to get there is to right click the Roon shortcut on the desktop and click open containing folder.
  2. If you rename the Roon folder, the program wonā€™t open; instead, I located the database folder and renamed it Database_old. I then relaunched Roon, and went through the setup procedure again to get everything up and running.

If anyone else is desperate for a fix, this seems to be working atm; still doesnā€™t explain how the database became corrupted in the first place, howeverā€¦

Hi @Steven_Hinchliffe,

With this new database, have you imported all of your media? Is it still importing?

@dylan
AFAIK all media has finished importing; althoug there seems to be a few albums missing from my tidal selection, and a couple from my hard drive too. not many thoughā€¦

Thanks for confirming that, @Steven_Hinchliffe.

Since things seem to be working with the new database, hereā€™s what Iā€™d like to try next:

1. Make a backup of the current, working database
  2. Restore a backup of the older database if you have one ā€” Iā€™d go with the oldest backup you have so we can confirm if that works
  3. Let us know if things work with that older database that you restored

Thanks!

@dylan
Not sure what you mean by making a backup of the database, or restoring an old backup?
I could rename the current DB as DB_new, and then change the old one from DB_old to just DB if thatā€™s what you mean? The backup would only be a week or so old, and would be the one which failed beforeā€¦
Whatā€™s happening with the logs I sent through? Must be some useful info in them?
Cheers, Steve

Hi @Steven_Hinchliffe ā€” I appreciate your patience here while weā€™ve looked into this. I met with the team today to discuss our next steps, so I wanted to reach out with an update.

First, we were hoping you could return to the old database by removing the ā€œoldā€ portion of the folder and seeing how things perform. If things are still crashing, we have some next steps for testing without the media linked in Roon and will send further instructions.

Thanks!

@dylan

I did that, and it played for about 1 minute, then crashed, and upon susequent re-trys it crashed immediately.

Iā€™ve changed back to the new database and all is working as normalā€¦

@Steven_Hinchliffe ā€” Iā€™ve sent you a PM