Roon Crashing Continually on MacOS Mojave

Hi Guys

I actually reported this issue a while ago but after a re-install of Roon the problem seemed to rectify itself. However now it’s back again with a vengeance. Almost every time I open Roon it crashes. Sometimes I get a few songs played and then it crashes and when it crashes that first time it then seems to crash on opening after that so I just can’t use it during that session. At other times it behaves correctly although these times are now few and far between. I’m very much losing patience with this application, as I’ve paid for it I expect it to work.

My set up is a MacBook Pro running MacOS Mojave 10.14.1, my music library is on a USB drive connected directly to the MacBook and I am playing it mostly through a Pioneer N50a via the USB-A connection but I am also using it with my iPhone in other rooms but it’s the Roon core that’s crashing. Any ideas?

Best Regards

Goodog

Hi @Harry_Mulligan,

About how long ago did this behavior start occurring? Were there any setup changes around that time?

I’d like to enable some diagnostics on your account so our technical staff can get some more insight into what’s going on here.

However, before I enable this feature, I’d like to ask for your help ensuring we gather the right information.

The next time this crash occurs please note the time that you experience this issue. Then respond here with that time, and I’ll make sure we review the diagnostics related to that timestamp.

Hi Dylan

Many thanks for the very quick response. I will try to run Roon right now and let you know immediately what happens

Best Regards

Harry M

Hi Dylan

I just started up Roon a few seconds ago and it crashed immediately. The crash report is still on the screen if that’s of any use to you.

Best Regards

Harry M

Hi Dylan

Meant to say…the local time is 13:42 :slight_smile:

Best Regards

Harry M

Thanks, @Harry_Mulligan!

Now that I have the timestamp, diagnostics have been enabled on your account. The next time your Core is active a diagnostics report will automatically be generated and uploaded directly to our servers (you may need to try to start up Roon again — even if it doesn’t fully start up the report should be sent).

Once that’s been received, I’ll be sure to update this thread and pass the diagnostics over to the team for further analysis.

Hi Dylan

I just ran Roon again and it crashed again almost immediately but hopefully you should have got the report. If you need me to do anything else please let me know.

Thanks for your help with this.

Best Regards

Harry M

Hi @Harry_Mulligan,

Unfortunately in this case the diagnostics report did not reach out servers. So we can move forward, I was hoping for now you could use the directions found here and send us over a set of logs using a shared Dropbox link. Please send the logs for the Core machine.

Thanks!

Hi Dylan

I’ve located and zipped the logs folder but I don’t have access to Dropbox, the instructions mentioned an alternative method of providing the zipped folder to you so could you please let me know how to do that. Also, I’m in the UK and I going to bed right now so it’ll be the morning before I get the change to respond again. Thank you for all your help so far.

Best Regards

Harry M

Hi @Harry_Mulligan — PM sent

Hi @Harry_Mulligan,

I just heard back from the team and they believe they’ve traced this crash back to this file in your watched folder:

/Volumes/MusicArchive/Music/J/Joni Mitchell/Joni Mitchel - Miles Of Aisles 1974 HDtracks 192/17 - Jericho (Live).m4a

Can you try moving that file out of the watched folder and let me know if the issue persists?

Thanks!

Hi Dylan

I’ve just moved the file out of the folder and very quickly tested Roon and it certainly seems to be okay now. I’ll test it more thoroughly tomorrow morning and I’ll let you know for sure then. Thanks again for all your help with this and for how quickly you turned this around. Fantastic all round. Incidentally, Miles of Aisles really not my favourite Joni album so it’s not that big a deal but I must get a new copy for sure!

Best Regards

Harry M

Hi @Harry_Mulligan,

I’m glad to hear that this seems to have done the trick!

Would you mind sharing this file with us? The team would like to take a closer look at why this may have been occurring. It may just be that there’s something wrong with the file, but we definitely want to examine things a little closer to know for sure.

Ideally, you can zip up the entire folder and send me private message containing a shared dropbox link. If you don’t have Dropbox or need another way to send the media, just let me know.

Thanks!

Hi Dylan

I’ve been testing on and off all day and Roon is stable again so many many thanks to you and the team. I would be glad to share the file with you but I don’t have access to dropbox so if you have an alternative method to get the media please let me know and I’ll send the file to you.

Best Regards

Harry M

Hi @Harry_Mulligan,

I’m glad to hear that this resolved the issue! I’ll send you a PM with further instructions on sharing the media shortly.

Thanks,
Dylan

Hi Dylan

File uploaded as requested. The file name is [Personal info removed by support]

When you find out the problem could you let me know what it was please.

Thanks and best regards

Harry M

Thanks @Harry_Mulligan,

I’ll pass the file along to the team so they can take a closer look. I appreciate it!

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.