Roon - Crashing on launch with certain artist selected

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Windows 10 Pro
Intel Nuc PC
i7-10510 CPU
16GB Ram
1TB SSD
Roon Core 1.8 Build 783

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

All devices connected by Ethernet cables
USW-Pro-24 POE Switch
UDM-Pro Modem
UAP-NanoHD AP

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Roon installed on Windows 10 Pro PC
i9-9900KS CPU
32GB Ram
2TB SSD
3090 GPU

Connected by USB to Topping DX7 Pro Dac

Description Of Issue

Loaded artist “radwimps” on roon - It would load up there info then crash to desktop.
Tried to open roon again and it would show the artist selected and crash to desktop again.
Attempted to restart roon core PC as well as remote PC same issue.

If i quickly select the back button before the software crashes i was able to then launch the software ok.
Tried loading other artists and all works fine but if i select radwimps it will crash to desktop and only fix i can use is by quickly trying to hit the back icon before crashing then next launch it loads to artist tab with no problems.

This was not happening the other day prior to prior to the recent build update and i have not added anything new to the artist since listening to them last.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bKCruLfugXB07DT0B6Y1uQfHnkv_kDXD/view?usp=sharing

Logs

Thanks for the detailed report, @Klarato

I took a look at the logs you shared and, unfortunately, there isn’t quite enough information here to tell us what happened. The good news, though, is that Event Viewer logs should be able to tell us a bit more so we can understand what about this artist is causing the issue.

Would you kindly follow the directions below to send these over to us?

1. Press Win + R and type eventvwr.msc
  2. Press OK – this should open Event Viewer window
  3. From the left sidebar go to Windows Logs > Application
  4. Right click on the Application subsection and pick Filter Current Log... from the context menu
  5. On the Filter tab for the Logged section pick a parameter Last 30 days and press OK
  6. Right click on the Application subsection again and pick Save filtered log file as.. from the context menu
  7. Enter the log file name, for e.g. Roon_USERNAME , and press Save

Good Morning,

Thanks for the response.

Please see attached the log as per your request.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jFyRlL69YeTkHQUf94abedOGCeH49xwk/view?usp=sharing

Let me know if you need anything else.

Kindest Regards,

Klaratro

Just as an update - The exact same fault happens after the most recent software update yesterday.
Loading the album of the artist rather than the artist page does not cause a crash and i can listen to the music fine.

Loading the artist on my iOS device works fine.

Checking in if you need any further info?

Well now i can’t launch roon at all.
It crashes to desktop a few seconds after loading.

I have tried rebooting the roon core and uninstalling / reinstalling roon on my main PC with no luck.
Now it just crashes on boot when trying to detect the roon core

I have attached new logs from the fresh install crashes
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EigJzBABMuj3cJHEkzZ17L6v77-LZvhI/view?usp=sharing

Roon seems to work fine off my mobile / apple tv’s only on my PC that it is not working at all.

Regards,

Klarato

Edit - I spoke too soon. My iphone is now constantly crashing the app over and over as well…Seems like that artist has corrupted my core or something? What is the best way go about resetting it or provide logs so you can see what is going on?

Edit 2 - I deleted the radwimps director and my iphone app now starts up and can play music again.
My windows PC how ever has the client still constantly crashing over and over still.

Is there a better way to get support? The website seems to only point to these community forums.
This is getting a bit ridiculous with no response since April 6th…
Felt like i have been quite patient waiting for a follow up…

Hello @Klarato ,

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you here, it looks like we missed your follow-up message.

We attempted to search for this artist on our end and we are unable to reproduce the issue.

Can you please confirm how you attempted to perform the reinstall of Roon? Have you made sure to set aside the previous Roon database? If not, you can use these instructions to do so:

• Create a Backup of your current database
  • Exit out of Roon
  • Navigate to your Roon Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “Roon”
  • Rename the “Roon” folder to “Roon_old”
  • Reinstall the Roon App from our Downloads Page to generate a new Roon folder
  • Verify if issue persists on fresh database before restoring the backup

Can you please confirm if the same issue is also occurring on a fresh Roon database? Thanks!

Thanks for getting back to me.
I ended up formatting my entire main PC that had Roon on it which made no difference.

I have done the steps you have listed just now on my roon core server as well as my main PC and it is currently rescanning my music database.

Once it finishes i will test it and get back to you soon.

Regards,

Klarato

Clicked on “radwimps” in the artist page and the roon client is now crash looping again.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1O6PjGM3Ja2q3qGAqtY7ZMU7F8wl8phxg/view?usp=sharing

1 Like

Hello @Klarato ,

Thank you for running those tests and for the new log files!

We released a new version of Roon a day after your last post, can you please confirm if you are still seeing the same issue on the latest build of Roon and if so, send a new log set?

The log files you previously sent unfortunately do not contain many clues. Please also include a copy of your Roon Core logs if you are seeing this on the new build, not just the remote logs.

Thank you!

Good Morning,

New update has not changed anything.

Please see google drive link:
I have included logs from roon remote, roon server and a video showing the crash.
I have also put it on an unlisted youtube link below.

From the video i started a new roon remote install.
Load in and show i can view artists fine.
Selecting radwimps will crash my client.
Searching and selecting from search will perma crash on launch.

Delete all files in settings and registry and it sends me back to roon home page so doesnt crash.
I can play the songs and view albums fine however the roon page for that artist will crash out my client.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/13xtV7zGcCN_j78VUHXkZ4rC52Dz4d1SY?usp=sharing

Hello @Klarato ,

Thank you for the video and for sending the logs over, it is appreciated! I had a chance to discuss your case with our QA team today.

It looks like you are running a RoonServer + Roon UI setup on your PC, can you please try to reinstall the UI Roon aspect on your PC and verify if this helps stop the crashing?

You can use the following instructions to do so:

• Create a Backup of your current database
  • Exit out of Roon
  • Navigate to your Roon Database Location on the affected PC
  • Find the folder that says “Roon” (Note this is different than the RoonServer folder where the database lives)
  • Rename the “Roon” folder to “Roon_old”
  • Reinstall the Roon App from our Downloads Page to generate a new Roon folder

Please give this a try, thanks!

Good Morning,

This seems to be the exact info you got me to test previously.
I carried out these steps on the Roon UI on my PC + the Roon Server on my recently.

Doing so did not fix any issues and had the same issues with that Artist. I also have completely formatted both my PC and my Nuc at did fresh installs with no luck.
1 Like

Hello @Klarato ,

Thank you for giving those steps a try! In my previous instructions, those were for the Roon Core, I was unaware you also performed these steps on the Roon Remote in use. Let me check in with the QA team regarding the next steps here, thanks in advance for your patience!

A post was split to a new topic: Roon crash when trying to load artist page

Morning Mate,

I gave up since i was getting nowhere with the support and moved off Roon.
Was crazy paying all that money when the support just kept asking the same questions over and over.
As much as i loved the idea of Roon - the more i played around with it the more problems i started to have so switched over to different software packs that so far have caused me no issues.

I have also had this issue prior to my 3090 and have it also crashing randomly if i use my apple TV as a source using roon remote via ios or my macbook as a player so i don’t think it was due to the client.

Seemed to be something with certain artist meta data and i feel something to do with unlinking from Tidal that caused it but who knows as it never got anywhere from a support standpoint.

Good luck getting your problem fixed.