Roon crashing on Pixel 3XL and Samsung Android Tablet

Happening to me to, ever since latest update, on both a Pixel 3XL and a Samsung Android Tablet. Occasionally, an uninstall and reinstall will work but, eventually, both the Pixel and the Samsung crash again right after starting the app. I’m running Roon Rock on a NUC 8i5. Windows Roon Remote working fine on two different laptops so it seems like the Android app is hosed. Everything was rock solid before 521.

Hi @Michael_Decelle,

Our team is currently investigating this issue and we are hoping you can provide the following information:

• What version of android do your devices run?
  • What is the model of the Samsung tablet?
  • When you refer to the app crashing — Does it freeze at launch and then close after freezing? Or does it just close right away?
  • Any change if you reboot the devices?
  • Can you describe your networking setup?

Pixel 3 is running Android 10
Galaxy Tab S3 running Android 9
App crashes immediately
Reboot does nothing. Uninstall and reinstall occasionally works but not reliably
Network is Ubiquiti amplifhd mesh. Roon Rock is connected to amplifihd router in access point mode. Signal levels are excellent.

Hi @Michael_Decelle,

You mentioned that after a reinstall this will sometimes work for you until some time. Is there anything specifically that seems to trigger this behavior? Is it related to opening an album that has no cover art?

Gosh, I don’t think so, but I’m really not sure. I’m happy to check that later tonight. I have opened plenty of albums with no cover art in the past so, in any case, this would be a new phenomenon…

thanks,

Mike

Hi @Michael_Decelle,

Definitely let us know if this is the case — We’ve seen some reports of this occurring after the latest update so it would be good to know if this is related to the issue we are already tracking or if this is something else.

Yes, it does look like trying to access a song with no cover art is the problem, or a problem. I did it a few times and both my pixel and Galaxy tab crashed.

Thanks for confirming, @Michael_Decelle! In this case, our team is aware of this issue and is hard at work at resolving this. We’ll be sure to update you as soon as more information is available.

I experience the same problems on my galaxy s8. Trying to open an album with no cover art crashes roon.

I’m having exactly the same problem with my Samsung Tab A tablet. Everything working perfectly in the app on my Galaxy A5 smartphone so definitely a problem with the app on the tablet. Any updates on a fix for this?

Hi everyone,

Our latest update can be found here:

Hello,

We’ve released a new update, Roon 1.7 Build 528, which contains improvements that we believe will help with the issues you are experiencing here. Please see our release notes below:

Thanks,
The Team At Roon Labs

2 posts were split to a new topic: Roon working with Tidal freezes when playing via an Oppo UDP 203

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.