Roon Crashing on Windows 10 x64 1903

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Windows x64 10 Enterprise 10.0.18362 Build 18362/ Intel i7-5820K /32GB RAM
Roon Build 1.6 (Build 416) Stable (64bit)
Nvidia GeForce GTX 960 Driver Version 23.21.13.8813

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Router Asus RT-AC68U
Ethernet Intel® Ethernet Connection (2) I218-V

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

SONORE Ultra Rendu USB- to Schiit Yggdrasil A2

Description Of Issue
Roon started crashing suddenly since last night. Roon comes up and closes immediately within few seconds.
I’ve tried to reinstall but the same issue.

Here is the dropbox link to Roon Logs

I see this error in Windows Event Viewer.

Faulting application name: Roon.exe, version: 1.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5cc12f39
Faulting module name: KERNEL32.dll, version: 10.0.18362.86, time stamp: 0xd12f214a
Exception code: 0xc00000fd
Fault offset: 0x00000000000114fe
Faulting process id: 0x2674
Faulting application start time: 0x01d551f28d0d2ae2
Faulting application path: C:\Users\OfficePC\AppData\Local\Roon\Application\Roon.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\KERNEL32.dll
Report Id: d4641a49-d234-45b6-84ce-ed556735b79e
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Hi @Arshad_Malik,

Were there any changes to your setup around the time this occurred? Any Windows updates or new media that was added to your watched folders?

No there were no windows update or any media attached. I was playing music and it suddenly stopped last night. I restarted few times but it crashes right after it comes up
After the crash I updated to Windows 1903 to see if that resolves but that did not help either.
I uninstalled Roon without removing settings but that did not work either.
I updated to last version of Nvidia GPU drivers but that did not work either.
Last but the least I’ve restart PC several times.
Roon has been running on this PC for many years so i cannot be hardware issue.

Let me know what else I can do to resolve this.

I un-installed Roon x64 and installed Roon 32-bit. It took a while for Roon to come up but shows the error
“There was an issue loading your database.
Don’t worry. Roon staiff is ready to help, so head over to our community site.”
Let me know if you need any thing from my side to troubleshoot this.
Thanks,
Arshad

Can you please let me know what I need to do to resolve this as I’m running out of options?

Hi @Arshad_Malik,

I was hoping you could use the directions found here and send us over a set of logs using a shared Dropbox link.

@dylan
Here are the Roon log file links to drop box
This has logs for Aug 13

This has logs for Aug 12 when the issue started happening

I would appreciate quick resolution as I use Roon everyday.

Thanks,
Arshad

Thanks, @Arshad_Malik – I’ll pass these along to the team for analysis.

In the meantime, I was hoping to try something:

• Make sure Roon is not running on the Core machine
  • Navigate to your Roon’s Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “Roon”
  • Rename the “Roon” folder to “Roon_old”
  • Restart/Reinstall the Roon App to generate a new Roon folder

After doing this, which will generate a new database, let us know how things work for you.

Thanks!

Unfortunately before I read your email I uninstalled Roon completely including settings and database.
However I backed up the entire Roon folder before complete Install.

So when I reinstall Roon comes up but its completely blank. I have to add all the music folder from my Synology NAS, add audio devices.
Is there a way to restore settings and Playlists from the backed folder?
I’ve spent years creating Playlist so i need atleast that restored.
Please let me know.

Hi @Arshad_Malik,

If you have backups you can restore them to recover your playlists, play data, and edits.

I spoke with the team about their analysis of the logs you’ve provided, and they found traces related to the Core machine not having enough memory, which was causing the crash. Can you confirm how much RAM is available on your Core? Are there any other applications or anything running that may be using up some of the memory?

I have 32 GB of RAM and there was nothing running at that time that would have used up all the memory.
All my music is stored on Synology NAS.
Can you send me link that details how to restore this from the actual Roon folder?

Do you think doing Windows Restore is a good idea?

Hi @Arshad_Malik,

Just to verify, do you have the Roon database folder from before the reinstall? Or do you have any backup files for Roon?

I have Roon Database Folder before the reinstall. Unfortunately I don’t have Roon backup.

I also tried to copying over Database folder after fresh install but that crashes Roon. So certainly there is something went wrong in the Database last night.

If the need be I can share my database folder if that would help recover and restore playlist and playdata

It would be a tremendous help if you can help restore the playlist.
I won’t have access to Roon for my work so I’ll be able to trouble shoot only after 5pm CST.

Hi @Arshad_Malik,

Here’s what you’ll want to do:

• Make sure Roon is not running
  • Rename the current Roon folder that is in use to Roon_old.
  • Move the previous Roon folder to the location where the new Roon folder is
  • Start Roon, which will use the new Roon folder

Thanks. I’ll try this when I’ll be back home and will report back.

@dylan Did your team find anything in the logs files on what happened?

When i use the previous Roon folder it crashes like before. It comes up shortly and then crashes.
I believe the database is corrupt.
Here is the dropbox link to log files after I did the above.

Is there a tool to extract the settings and Playlist at your end?
If the need be I can drop my roon folder to DropBox but the size is over 22GB that will require me to buy DropBox plus subscription. But I’m willing to do that if that will help recover or fix my roon db.
Please let me know.

Hi @Arshad_Malik,

Unfortunately the only way to recover this type of information is to restore from a backup or use the existing database.

Can you verify where your media is stored? Is it locally on the Core machine? On a USB drive? On a NAS?

The Media is stored on 2 devices
Synology NAS DS1813+ ( DSM Version: 6.2.2-24922-2)
FreeNas 11.2-STABLE
Nothing is stored locally or USB drive. I’ve been using this configuration since I installed Roon for many years.

One thing I wanted to point out is I had added Qobuz account few weeks ago and never used it. I logout of the account a week ago but Roon was working normally until 2 days ago. Could that be a cause?

I’ve years worth of Playlist that I created and I need that restored desperately. I can’t afford to loose them.
Do you have a way of fixing the Database if I upload it to DropBox?