Roon Database & Settings Not Ready on Roon Nucleus

Roon Core Machine

Roon Nucleus Version 1.0 (build 227) stable purchased from Roon

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Ethernet connection to Router.

Connected Audio Devices

Multiple devices. Sonos, Arcam, Cambridge Audio

Number of Tracks in Library

Not pertinent to this problem, but right now I can’t access Roon to find out. 20k or so?

Description of Issue

No devices can connect to Roon.

Roon Database & Settings Not Ready on Roon Nucleus
Requesting Reset for the database completes successfully (according to the message) but doesn’t change the “Not Ready” status
Requsting Reinstallation of the database fails.
Nucleus internal drive is available via network. All music files are present.
Could really use some support on this please @support

sounds potentially like the SSD (boot) has failed or corrupted

what does the folder structure look like when you browse to the nucleus?

If this is under warranty then suggest you seek help from the supplier - if that was Roon direct then wait for support.

If you have backups you could also try a Reset and then restore if that solves things…but my gut tells me this a failing/failed SSD

This is the entire directory structure I can see (beyond the fact that under InternalStorage I have all of my music.

I can’t do a reset of the database (or rather I can, but it has no effect). So it’s kind of bricked right now. I think you right that I have to get a new SSD. Am I right in the assumption that there are two? One (my big one with music storage) and a smaller one with OS/database and other boot stuff? Can I just replace that myself with any generic or does it have to show up preinstalled with Roon stuff on it?

Thanks

There is at least 1 (the M.2 SSD on which the OS is installed), and possibly 2 (the extra one being the internal storage on which you can put your music). Based on the screenshot, you have 2.

The one likely at fault is the M.2 SSD on which the OS is installed.

You can replace the M.2 SSD yourself (make sure it’s an NVMe SSD with the right pin layout).
I am personally quite satisifed with my Samsung 980 NVMe M.2 SSD.

The problematic part is that the Nucleus OS is not available for download. Instead, you’ll have to install ROCK and Roon Support can remotely trigger the upgrade of ROCK to Nucleus OS.

Roon has been a bit ambiguous on this topic, as it has both recommended this approach, but also strongly disencouraged it (depending on who you talk to).

If you’re not comfortable, just wait for Roon to chime in. Since you purchased it directly from them, and assuming it’s still under warranty, you might want to let them repair it free of charge.

I did.

It is. It failed within the first of the two years.

I most certainly do. Though waiting is no fun.

Thanks

Hey @Warwick_Neasmith,

Ben here with the support team. Thanks for the information you’ve outlined above. Before doing anything else, have you tried manually refreshing the database?

• Create a Backup of your current Roon Database
  • Stop RoonServer from running in Nucleus’s WebUI
  • Navigate to your Nucleus’ Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “RoonServer”
  • Rename the “RoonServer” folder to “RoonServer_old”
  • Restart the RoonServer in the WebUI to generate a new Database
  • On the Roon Remotes, press “Use another Core” and connect to the new database

Let me know if your issue persists after the above :+1:

I can’t create a backup because Roon is not allowing any client access via the Roon Application. I do appear to have a backup from about a week ago. I hope that it is valid and not corrupted by the onset of these issues.

When I navigate to the Nucleus’ Database Location, as I hope you can see above, there is no “RoonServer” folder. All I have is “RoonOS” and “Storage”.
So unfortunately I am unable to complete your suggested remedies. To be honest I had already found these steps in other community posts but ignored them since I was unable to find the suggested directories.

I am able to access the WebUI and restart the RoonServer but that accomplishes nothing.

What should we try next?

Warwick

wait for @support the can probably send you a new SSD to install - if you are comfortable to do that, or its an RMA I guess.

Hey @Warwick_Neasmith,

Thanks for the information above. For the next steps, I will get in touch via PM :+1: please keep an eye out for a message from me.

3 Likes