Roon Desktop & Wine

Hi All.

Roon has always been a bit fussy with Wine - and no fault to Roon as Wine is an impressive item.
I’ve always managed to get it working on my Manjaro box but with the last OS round of updates, my Roon has stopped again.

I’ve done a myriad of rollbacks to Wine, Mesa, etc. as I target the issue. Looks like it is crashing with a framebuffer issue when rendering.

Apart from the guides out there with Winetricks and .net 4.0, installing .net 4.72/+, etc., does anyone have a somewhat fool-proof method of getting Roon to run without issue?

I’m really digging deep to fix this one.
We really need a flatpak/snap of the desktop for Linux. Native would be nice. Why not use Electron or the like?

Sigh.

Kev.

1 Like

Hi @Kevin_Dackiw ,

I also use Manjaro and had no problems updating to 1.8 and after.

Since it sounds like you did a manual install, I would strongly recommend using roon-on-wine.

This doesn’t work for me. I am pretty versed with using Wine and perform what the script does, and more. Which Manjaro branch are you on? I run testing which may have a quirk or two vs. stable.

Kev.

Stable and always up to date.

Screenshot_20210404_204355

I’m just running a slightly higher kernel but we are equivalent across the board. I have an older AMD Juniper GFX card - and I suspect at times OpenGL and Wine have some issues.

I will say that all my other Wine instances work just fine. Roon is GFX heavy and I believe there are some quirks with GL and my driver that seem to pop up on occasion. I’m going to hack a bit more and see. All of my attempts so far have crashed with this:

I point the finger right now with something breaking with the rendering.
Perhaps time for a GFX card slightly more modern :wink:

Kev.

Ok, it seems that you know what you are doing :wink:.
I have a similar configuration running on a second machine. If you need any Manjaro specific information, let me know.

Btw: There is already an experimental version of a roon-flatpak, but development has been at a standstill for some time.

I had a look at the flatpak. It will cause the same issue as I have narrowed it down to a regression outside of Wine. Going way back with Wine 5.22 and a 1.7 32-bit install of Roon still fails with the FB issue.

Kev.

I see the same problem on xubuntu.

Did some rollback going from testing to stable. After some package cleanup, Roon is running again under Wine. Looks like some deeper regression has made it into the newest packages. Something to watch as they filter down to stable…!

Kev.

I’ve used it on Ubuntu for 5 months now and have not experienced any fussiness. No issues with in-application updates either. Good instructions here: Roon control GUI working on Linux using Wine

After the last upgrade of Manjaro yesterday, Roon wouldn’t start either. I started Roon via the terminal and got the following error messages:

Gtk-Message: 11:21:59.946: Failed to load module "appmenu-gtk-module
No problem. Just installed appmenu-gtk.

After that, next message:

X Error of failed request:  GLXBadFBConfX Error of failed request:  GLXBadFBConf``ig
  Major opcode of failed request:  152 (GLX)
  Minor opcode of failed request:  0 ()
  Serial number of failed request:  389
  Current serial number in output stream:  389

Solution:
I had to downgrade Mesa to mesa-20.3.4-3

Roon is now running again.

You beat me to posting this. I saw the stable release and knew it would break…but installed anyways.

Surprise - broken. I also narrowed it down to Mesa 21.x branch (and the lib32 version) for those running a 32bit prefix of Room.

My downgrading also fixed it. I reverted all of Mesa back (7 modules or so?) to keep the whole package happy.

I’ll likely move back to the unstable/testing branch and bypass Mesa to see what happens. I noticed Arch has at least a version higher than stable Manjaro. I tried that and it still broke.

I hope this one gets addressed as I don’t like to be stuck on older packages for too long.

TY for posting this!

Kev.

1 Like

why would you prefer a wine installation over the linux installation file?

What Linux install? There is no native client for Linux. I’m not sure what you are alluding to.

Kev.

1 Like

you don’t need that client. only a core, endpoints and a phone or tablet.

Well, yes you do. I find it far easier to use the desktop application for music library maintenance vs. an iOS or Android app. Sometimes mouse and keyboard just work better. I am sure others agree hence we have the native Windows and Mac OS clients.

Kev.

For those who want a better fix, create a 32bit Wine bottle and install Roon 32bit per all the directions.

This way you can freeze the following 3 for 32bit apps and allow Mesa+ to roll ahead as usual for the main Linux system. This is working fine.

Freeze at 20.3.4-3:
lib32-mesa-vdpau
lib32-mesa
lib32-libva-mesa-driver

Allow to roll:
mesa
opencl-mesa
mesa-vdpau
libva-mesa-driver

I’ll test successive releases of Mesa to see if any regressions are fixed.

Kev.

@aljooge
I think you got this wrong.

We are talking about the graphical user interface under Linux.
There are some advantages over the phone or tablet version.
Take a look here: Roon/roon-wine.md at master · florib779/Roon · GitHub

I only had to downgrade Mesa itself, leaving all other installations untouched.

I’m sometimes leery about singling out a package among a group; I concur that Mesa itself was the culprit but I’m going to dig deeper and keep my 32 and 64 bit somewhat separate while I find the regression.

At least it works which is the main point here. Thank the stars we can selectively fix unlike some other operating systems…

Kev.

1 Like