Roon Desktop & Wine

I absolutely agree with you. My variant is really just a quick and dirty fix. The next update may cause a problem again. But for now, I’m glad it works.

If I didn’t have a thousand other projects, I’d dive a little further into it too. But as I said before, I’m glad it works. I’ve fortunately never had any major problems with the Roon-Wine installation on Manjaro, except that I had to downgrade a 5 Wine version once about half a year ago.

I’m running the roon-on-wine version, which is built entirely on 64 bit. Although I have experimented with several Wine versions, I have not had to reinstall the Wine bottle, although I have tried that of course.

The next problem will come, that’s for sure. :grinning:

@Kevin_Dackiw

I just updated my Manjaro stable system and have the problem again. I will have to downgrade mesa to version 20.3.4-3.

I moved to unstable/Arch-stable and oddly my 64bit prefix of Roon started working again - without the absolute latest Mesa coming in yet from Arch.

I also kept my 32bit version, locking 32bit Mesa and its derivatives to ensure it runs.

Here is my current state:

Any differences?

Kev.

Yes, there are:

mesa_terminal

And here is the version that is offered to me for updating by pamac (which doesn’t worked):

mesa_pamac

Another update today:

mesa_terminal

I still have to hold back mesa itself.

Managed to get Roon working quite easily using the script in this thread. Thank you for that.

Now, when I go to play a song, it just skips through all the songs. On my Windows machine, I had to manually fiddle with the firewall to make it work. What do I do on Linux to make it work?

Source material is loaded by your Roon Core, processed if needed and then played (streamed ) to your endpoint (DAC., Streamer, …). The Roon software on your Linux machine just acts as Control - select source, endpoint, start/stop playback. If the Control on Linux works for that, all seems to be fine. From the above description, playback problems are between source, the Core and the endpoint.

What is your source, Core, endpoint?

Note: Out of my experience, if you want to play to the Linux machine running Roon on Wine, you need to install Roon bridge for Linux on the machine too to make it work.

Thanks for the feedback. Good call on the bridge, I did not install this the first go-around.
I have now installed Roon Bridge on my Linux machine, but when I run Roon over Wine, no audio playback on my Linux machine is found.

Wondering if there’s an obvious step I’m missing here.

Thank you so much again.

Can your Core see the Roon Bridge software? If not, then possibly a firewall on your Linux machine is blocking communication.

Is the new Roon Bridge enabled in Settings|Audio?

Make sure all devices that show-up for “This PC” when you use Roon on Wine are disabled (use 3-dot’s menu if you have to), they usually don’t work and add confusion only if left active.

I think it’s a firewall issue. I’ve never used Linux before, so I’m not sure where to start there, but I’ll start tinkering now.

I cannot see the new Roon Bridge under Settings | Audio. If someone has a quick-tip on the Firewall issue, I’d appreciate it, otherwise, I’m off on an adventure!

To know the distro you use may be of help here. Else/additinally use:

https://community.roonlabs.com/search?q=linux%20firewall

Also, did you use/follow the guide: Installing Roon on Linux

Thanks. This is a stupid question, but what would my “subnet” be? The Linux Bridge device’s IP address?

Badly missing context - try this explanation:

I got as far as this step:

I am looking at the config lines he has and I’m trying to figure out what subnet info I need to use for my PC.

There is an example in that post:

[Your Subnet] would typically be for example 192.168.0.0 and [Subnet mask] is typically 24, ergo the UDP and TCP port entries would be for 192.168.0.0/24 .

And also in the wikipaedia article I linked:

Here it’s called Network prefix.

You can maybe find a GUI tool to configure your firewall, but obviously that doesn’t help with the need to understand and provide the needed information.

If I posted my ifconfig read-out, would that help fill in the blanks? Sorry… when it comes to networking, it is greek to me.

Give it a try and we will see.

Thanks for help - deleted for privacy.

192.168.1.0/24 for enp6s0

Note: Looks like you’re running a VPN too (torguard-wg). Try disabling it. Network traffic, including Roon’s, might be sent through your VPN instead of your local network.

@Kevin_Dackiw

I just updated my Manjaro stable system and with Mesa 21.0.3-3 Roon works again.