Roon Display Partially Blanked Out on Mac Built-In and External Monitor

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Apple iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017) [4.2 GHz Core i7, 48GB Memory, 1TB SSD), external monitor (iiyama PL3490WQ - 3440 x 1440); macOS Catalina 10.15.1

Roon Version: 1.6 (Build 475)
Roon Bridge: 1.0 (Build 169)

Library stored on Internal 1TB SSD
Music stored on NAS (Drobo 5N2), 17,500 tracks, Qobuz (Sublime+)

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

UniFi Security Gateway 3P Router, Unifi Switch 8 POE-150W, UniFi Switch 8 and UniFi AP-AC-Pro for Wi-Fi.

Audio Devices (Specify connection type - USB/HDMI/ect.)

Yamaha NX500 speakers (directly attached to iMac via USB), Bluesound Pulse Mini 2i (Wi-Fi - 5GHz), Bluesound Pulse Mini 2i (Wi-Fi - 5GHz), Bluesound Pulse Flex 2i(Wi-Fi - 5GHz), Bluesound Node 2i (Ethernet)

Description of Issue

Since I upgraded to build 475, I am experiencing problems with how Roon displays its output on the built-in Retina display and the external monitor.

If I start and open Roon on the external monitor and then move the Roon window to the built-in Retina display, the top ~half of the window get blanked out (two images to illustrate):

STARTING ON EXTERNAL MONITOR

ROON WINDOW MOVED TO BUILT-IN RETINA DISPLAY

Likewise, If I start and open Roon on the built-in Retina display and then move the Roon window to the external monitor, in this case most of the Roon window gets blanked out (two images to illustrate):

STARTING ON BUILT-IN RETINA DISPLAY

ROON WINDOW MOVED TO EXTERNAL MONITOR

It doesnā€™t matter what I am looking at in Roon, e.g. my album list etc, it still happens. I was just using the Qobuz screen as an example.

I am also experiencing this on my 2017 MacBook Pro which is also running Catalina 10.15.1 and the same Roon versions as on my iMac. The macBook is connecting to the core on my iMac. In this case the external monitor is a Dell U2713HM [2560 x 1440].

So at the moment I have to leave Roon on the display I started it on to avoid this blanking out problem.

Is this a known issue and/or is there a fix / work-around? :slightly_smiling_face:

Hi @Jon_2019,

Iā€™ve moved your topic over to the support category so that @support will follow this up for you.

I had exactly the same issue when switching Roon between a 2012 Macbook Pro (retina display) and (an ancient) 27" Cinema Display. In my case, as Iā€™m still running Mojave, I reinstalled v416, so suspect this is specific to v475 rather than anything to do with Catalina.

@Jon_2019, a quick work around is to resize the Roon window after moving it to the other display. This worked for me before I reverted to v416.

@DaveN, Brilliant, that does it - thanks for the work-around tip! :grinning:

1 Like

@Carl, Thank you :grinning:

Hi @Jon_2019,

Thank you for the report. I will reach out to our hardware team to see if they can reproduce your findings on their end.

Hi @Jon_2019,

Weā€™ve just released Roon 1.7 (Build 500) which includes changes that should improve this behavior. Please give it this a try and let us know how it goes!

You can read the full release notes here:

Thanks,
The Team at Roon Labs

Yes it is fixed in 1.7 - thanks. :grinning:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.