Roon does not like NAD C368 with BluOS module [Investigating]

@Wes I’ve followed the steps (of course the chassis AND card firmware weren’t changed since they were the same version NAD has available for download). The only one I couldn’t do is #2 since the card, obviously, is already installed.

After #3 the device is recognized properly by Roon. After #4 it’s still in the Roon Ready list, and even works, but shows up as
If you go into device setup:

Yup, it’s MDC3 again.

Another factory reset (on the BluOS card, not the chassis) makes in into C368 again, until the next firmware upgrade check…

2 Likes

Thanks, Wes. I’m glad to hear it, and eager to see this all worked out.

Hi @Boris_Molodyi. @Stanislaw_Chmielewsk, and all,

I have tracked down some more analytics on the issue and the issue appears to be specific to 3 people using Roon (as of 5 hours ago). @Boris_Molodyi, @Stanislaw_Chmielews, and another user who has not reported the problem to us yet. From what I can tell, Carlo is no longer having an issue.

I plan on providing your device ID’s to Bluesound but I have to assume there is a problem with the hardware at this point. Roon tests our certified devices extensively (I have managed the program and done testing) and what we would expect to see in logging is the device initialized as the C368 seamlessly (as it happens in Carlo’s configuration with his M32). There should be no mention of the MDC to Roon.

Here’s what we see for you, @Boris_Molodyi with redactions:

01/26 15:45:02 Info: [raat] Initializing RoonReady Device
01/26 15:45:02 Info: [raat]     Address:         192.168.x.57
01/26 15:45:02 Info: [raat]     Port:            42213
01/26 15:45:02 Info: [raat]     IsDev:           False
01/26 15:45:02 Info: [raat]     UniqueId:        BluOS:90:56:82:0e:x:xx
01/26 15:45:02 Info: [raat]     ProtocolVersion: 3
01/26 15:45:02 Info: [raat]     Version:         3.20.25
01/26 15:45:02 Info: [raat]     RaatVersion:     1.1.36
01/26 15:45:02 Info: [raat]     Model:           MDC3
01/26 15:45:02 Info: [raat]     Vendor:          NAD
01/26 15:45:02 Info: [raat]     VendorModel:     NAD MDC3
01/26 15:45:02 Info: [raat]     Serial:          
01/26 15:45:02 Info: [raat]     OutputName:      
01/26 15:45:02 Info: [raat]     AutoName:        Dining Room
01/26 15:45:02 Trace: [devicedb] [autodetect] No Match for DeviceAutodetectData[Type=RoonReady Vendor=NAD Model=MDC3]
01/26 20:28:00 Info: [raat] Initializing RoonReady Device
01/26 20:28:00 Info: [raat]     Address:         192.168.x.57
01/26 20:28:00 Info: [raat]     Port:            35249
01/26 20:28:00 Info: [raat]     IsDev:           False
01/26 20:28:00 Info: [raat]     UniqueId:        BluOS:90:56:82:0e:x:xx
01/26 20:28:00 Info: [raat]     ProtocolVersion: 3
01/26 20:28:00 Info: [raat]     Version:         3.20.25
01/26 20:28:00 Info: [raat]     RaatVersion:     1.1.36
01/26 20:28:00 Info: [raat]     Model:           C368
01/26 20:28:00 Info: [raat]     Vendor:          NAD
01/26 20:28:00 Info: [raat]     VendorModel:     NAD C368
01/26 20:28:00 Info: [raat]     Serial:          
01/26 20:28:00 Info: [raat]     OutputName:      
01/26 20:28:00 Info: [raat]     AutoName:        Dining Room
01/26 20:28:00 Info: [devicedb] [autodetect] Match DeviceAutodetectData[Type=RoonReady Vendor=NAD Model=C368] => NAD C 368

As you can see, the internal IP addresses and the UniqueID are the same as reported by both devices. We should not be seeing an MDC card report to us at all and this is the problem. The process you followed is meant to merge the two devices so they report as one device. @Stanislaw_Chmielewsk’s situation is the exact same (as per logs). His two devices are reporting to Roon with the same UniqueId and IP as well.

I will inform Bluesound but believe the best course of action is to take this to their support on a case-by-case basis. Please share my thoughts and/or our thread here for them to understand what we’ve tried, what Roon expects to see, and what we actually are seeing.

Sorry if there’s too much information here but I figured it might help paint a more complete picture. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,
Wes

@Wes Thanks! No problem with information, I stare at this stuff all day long :slight_smile:

To clarify what you are seeing in the logs, if the timing aligns,the first part, at 15:45 is what happens after the step 4, resetting the entire chassis. At that point, a card (even if it reported itself properly before) does reset to MDC3.

What you see in the logs at 20:28 is what happens after resetting the BluOS card itself (completely independent of all other steps Bluesound indicated; in my case at least it is sufficient) – I reset it because Roon keeps an uncertified device working for a while, but eventually drops it, and I want to actually use it (seriously looking at a replacement system there, though). Once the card is reset, and configured back onto the network, NOW it starts reporting itself properly.

I am sure that Roon tests devices well, but let me hazard a guess – you get a device with latest (probably) firmware from NAD, factory reset, and test it. It works fine. If you still have one somewhere, I do wonder if you can either do a chassis reset on it, or, alternatively, go into BluOS menu and run a firmware upgrade there. In both cases, I think the device will report back as NAD MDC3.

While it certainly could be a hardware problem, from the way it does work, quite reliably, unless you do certain very software-ish things, at which point it starts doing wrong, but also from the s/w point only, it definitely looks more like a software bug that a hardware problem.

Granted, it might be an edge case and not part of certification testing, but e.g. in my case, I picked up the unit, and the MDC card came from the shelf. Dealer told me I’d probably need to update it. So when I got home, I ran update from the unit, while setting everything around it up, and, yup, that’s exactly what triggers the card to revert to MDC3 (update doesn’t even need to actually happen, by the looks of it, if you trigger the update from the device menu, it updates to whatever version it finds on NAD servers, whether it is the same as what’s in the card already or not).

Nothing wrong on the Roon end, as far as I can see (well, maybe you could just certify “MDC3” itself :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: ) but BlueOS software is a bit flaky. I am in contact with their support as well, and had sent them device logs, both from the 368 and from some Nodes that work with Roon with no issues. But maybe because you can’t actually do anything with them from the front panel (which they lack anyway)…

Thank you @Boris_Molodyi for pursuing this issue. I have been hesitant to undertake the steps listed by @Wes - “if its working don’t touch it” . Given my past experience, I expect that the next software update will return me to the loop.

1 Like

That’s the feeling I have, unless Bluesound actually fixes the underlying issue, an update of the system will bring it back to “MDC3” state. It’s not too difficult to fix, really, just do a reset/reconfig, but this isn’t what I expect from a pretty expensive piece of equipment.

2 Likes

Hi Guys, no more update on this issue?
Maybe some more info. My firmvare can be updated only to V1.75.
This is info from BlueOs support.
“Based on the serial number of your C368 (H85C368G11974) C368 Software Upgrade – V1.75 is the correct firmware for it.”

Maybe this is a problem?

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.