Roon does not manage albums with 100 tracks

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Synology DS918+ with newest DMS

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

LAN

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

T+A R100E, naim mu-so2

Description Of Issue

There is an album with 100 tracks (all Beethoven sonatas played by Friedrich Gulda), where the mapping with the Album “Gulda spielt Beethoven: Klaviersonaten - 2005” is fine, but the 1st, the 2nd and the 3rd sonata are shown as “Piano Sonatas (3), Op. 2)”, but it should read as “Klaviersonate Nr. 01 f-moll op. 2.1”, “Klaviersonate Nr. 02 A-dur op. 2.2”, and “Sonata for Piano No. 3 in C major op. 2.3”. This happens several times also with other compositions, while other compositions are not detected at all. To get significant track names, one has to disable composition grouping.

@Bernhard_Karbe

Unfortunately this is a very common problem. I have exactly the same problem with the Paul Lewis Beethoven Piano Sonatas, Vol. 3. Qobuz in my territory (Ireland) has 231 albums with the 3 sonatas grouped as one work “Piano Sonatas (3), Op. 2” . But it has 270 albums with the three sonatas separate as “Piano Sonata No. 1 in F minor, Op. 2/1”, “Piano Sonata No. 2 in A major, Op. 2/2”, “Piano Sonata No. 3 in C major, Op. 2/3”. I don’t have a Tidal subscription but I imagine it is similar.

If your album is a CD rip or download you can separate the Sonatas manually by editing the WORK/PART tags. If you have a streamed copy (which I have) then it is much more hit and miss. Sometimes it is possible to to re-arrange multi-part works by editing them, sometimes not. I have no idea why sometimes you can and sometimes you can’t. In this case I cannot.

As I say it is a common enough problem for anyone who likes Beethoven piano sonatas. Maybe @support can move this to metadata and maybe there is a solution at metadata source.

HI @Bernhard_Karbe,

Can you share some screenshots of what you’re seeing?

Hi @dylan, maybe these screenshots will add a bit more to @Bernhard_Karbe’s description.

The problem is that there is no consistency with which compositions that share the same Opus Number are being presented. This happens a lot with many composers.

It just so happens that several of the 32 Beethoven piano Sonatas are grouped together under the same Opus number. The most famous example with the Sonatas is the “Moonlight” Sonata No. 14 which shares the same Opus No. 27 with Sonata No. 13. But also, Sonatas Nos. 1, 2, 3 share the same Opus No. 2.

What is happening is that sometimes the 3 sonatas are being grouped together as a single composition with 12 parts and sometimes the 3 sonatas are kept as 3 separate compositions of 4 parts each. It seems quite random, which way roon is doing it. So, for example, I can see that from a Qobuz integration perspective there are 231 performances where the 3 Sonatas are grouped together as a single composition and 276 performances where the 3 Sonatas are kept as 3 separate compositions.

You can see an example here of Paul Lewis where the 3 Sonatas are grouped as a single composition of 12 parts:

On the other hand with the Bavouzet cycle, the Sonatas are kept separate:

I have not raised this before (and I suspect several others haven’t either) as this is not a problem with a local library. There are enough editing options (with an external tagger) to re-arrange the hierarchy how you want. I am a relative new comer to streaming and what I find is that in general rearanging composition hierarchies is not possible with streaming content. An immediate consequence you can see is that my Paul Lewis cycle is now disconnected from my Bavouzet (and other) cycles. This is by no means an isolated example and the overall effect of an accumulation of the differences with which roon treats a local and a streamed library is to disconnect the two libraries in this and other ways.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.