Roon does not recognize/categorize albums under certain artists

Description of Issue

Hello- my hardware is running fine. This is a question regarding Roon software (I am running Roon 2.0 Build 1272 on a ROCK Core).

Roon does not categorize all albums under certain artists. So far I have just noticed this for the classical genre. For example, I have 5 albums with Jacqueline Du Pre as a performing artist. Her meta-data is included in these albums. But when I select her name under the “My Artist” category via Roon only 2 albums appear. I can still find the other 3 missing albums that do not appear via a general search - but they should be listed directly under Jacqueline Du Pre via “My Artist.”

I have checked the meta-data for the 3 missing albums and the data is correct.

I also have this issue with albums by the composer James Horner.

All albums that are having issues contain flac files.

I think there is a bug in the Roon software.

Please look into this when you can. Thanks for any updates.

Thanks!

May I enquire what device you use as your Roon Remote?

Hello - I use an IPAD running iOS, as well as a windows computer running windows 11. Both devices have the same issue - and running Roon version 2.0 build 1272. Thanks for responding - and hope to get this resolved!

Are you able to share a screenshot of what you describe. Another user experienced a similar sounding issue but was quickly remedied with a change to settings. Just wondering if this might be the same issue.

Check that Du Pre is listed as a Primary Artist in the album credits in Roon for the missing albums. It sounds as though your situation is similar to this:

BTW, this is an issue with Roon and not Roon OS. I’ve edited the topic title and your post to avoid confusion.

Hello, Menzies - Would it be possible to be more specific regarding what you need in the screen shot? At the moment all you see is that Roon has compiled a couple albums under Du Pre (for example). But Roon does not indicate other albums are missing. I know they are missing b/c I know my collection.

A clarification/correction - Roon remote on Windows does categorize the albums correctly. Roon remote on Apple iOS and Android (running Android version 13) does not. Both the iOS and Android devices are running the latest Roon remote software.

For one of the missing albums, Du Pre is listed as the primary artist in this album’s meta-data and Roon still does not list this album under Du Pre’s name in “My Artist.”

Menzies - let me know if need anything else as you work with your team to fix this issue. Cheers!

Hi @Willie4Prez

I’m just a fellow Roon user like you. Just here to offer help where I can.

Can you advise on the album titles that don’t show when searching for Du Pre in albums.

Thanks for helping, Menzies. I imagine this issue probably affects others too. However, this appears to be a software issue and probably beyond what we can troubleshoot- sad to say. This requires help from the Roon support team.

@connor - Hi, Connor - I read the Roon technical team is trying to help troubleshoot an issue somewhat similar to what I am experiencing - except my issue has nothing to do with compilations. I was wondering if you can help. Please see below:

PS: I am experiencing the below issue on Android and iOS devices. Even if the artist is listed as the primary artist- Roon still does not categorize the album correctly.

Issue: Roon does not categorize all albums under certain artists. So far I have just noticed this in the classical genre. For example, I have 5 albums with Jacqueline Du Pre as a performing artist. Her meta-data is included in these albums. But when I select her name under the “My Artist” category via Roon only 2 albums appear. I can still find the other 3 missing albums that do not appear via a general search - but they should be listed directly under Jacqueline Du Pre via “My Artist.”

Please can you give details of the missing albums, e.g. via screenshots. Without further information, it will be very difficult to diagnose this issue. Du Pré’s discography lists 54 albums, with a further 11 albums that she appears on (i.e. she is not the primary artist).

@connor @noris appreciate any feedback from your team re this issue! Would it be possible to alert your meta-data support team?

Here are some screenshots of the albums that are not appearing. I have tried to remove the meta-data so that only Du Pre is listed as the main artist. But this does not work. Roon on iOS and Android does not categorize these albums under Du Pre via “My Artist.”

Du Pre-album1
Du Pre-album2
Du Pre-album3

Frankly, I would certainly remove all your dead composers from your “Primary Artist” credits. A “Primary Artist” is categorised as the “Performer” of the works - not the composer. Unless of course a composer is actually performing his or her own work (e.g. the recording of Leonard Bernstein conducting his opera Candide).

If I look at Roon’s database entry of that “A Lasting Inspiration” album, then I just see Du Pré listed as the Primary Artist…

PS - I’ve added these three albums to my library, and they are showing up as expected under the Du Pré entry in the My Artist browser. The metadata for these albums appears correct - Du Pré beling listed as a Primary Artist, and composers being credited as such. I suspect that there’s something odd about your metadata (are these ripped CDs?), but quite what will need further investigation.

Geoff- I appreciate your help. I have already removed meta-data like you suggested - see my previous post. This does not work.

The albums you listed are streaming from Qobuz or Tidal. I uploaded my own purchased albums. I am using Roon’s database to add metadata to these albums.

This is definitely a Roon software issue (could be ROCK or remote problems - who knows?)

So you are ripping these albums - which means that your ripping application is adding the metadata. Do you have your import preferences ( Settings > Library > Import settings) set to prefer file, or prefer Roon?

And can you show a screenshot of the album page of one of the missing albums, e.g.:

Geoff,
Just so we are operating on the same page, when you add an album to Roon, you can “identify the album” and add metadata from Roon’s database - which is what I did. I have selected “prefer Roon” - ie using Roon’s metadata. My understanding is that Roon’s software should recognize its own metadata - and categorize everything correctly.

I appreciate your help - but I would like to wait for Roon technical support to advise on next steps. There is most likely a bug in the software. This is affecting Roon Remote in Android and iOS- but not Windows for some reason.

Strange that you need to manually identify the albums - normally this should be automatic. I also notice that you have selected a different version of the “Lasting Impression” album that the one that Roon chose for me. Yours:

Mine:

There are 2 versions in Roon’s database. The version you seem to have chosen has many errors being flagged for me…

However, by all means let’s wait until someone from the Roon Labs metadata team can pick this up and delve into your issue further.

Hi - @Wes

I read that you have been replying to some issues that were recently posted in support. Would you kindly investigate the issue I posted about 2 weeks ago?

Hey Roon support - @benjamin @Wes @connor @noris

I realize you guys are busy with tons of requests- but could you please give a heads up that someone is looking into this software issue with Roon remote on iOS and Android? I understand a solution may take some time…

Thanks!

Hey @Willie4Prez,

Thanks for your patience while our team works through each thread!

Following up on your issue, our review of your core diagnostics doesn’t indicate any obvious issues at this time. I’d be curious to see how things run if you remove the albums in question from your library, and test out using a third-party app like dbpoweramp to edit the metadata prior to re-importing to Roon?

Be sure to clean up your library after you’ve temporarily removed the albums in question.

Per @Geoff_Coupe’s response:

When you initially imported the albums in question, did you have the option Geoff shared via their screenshot?

Lastly, just to keep things on a fresh slate, I would also remove Roon on the affected mobile devices, power down the devices, and perform a fresh re-install.

I’ll be on standby for your reply. Thanks! :+1:

@benjamin Thank you for responding!

I followed your guidance…and I still am facing the same issue. For example, I tested “A Lasting Impression” and Roon Remote apps on Android and iOS devices will not categorize this album under Du Pre. Roon Remote on Windows still works fine – and categorizes everything (FYI Windows never had an issue).

Re the screenshot, yes, I have the option to accept “Prefer Roon” - and this is selected for the albums in question.

To test what Geoff experienced via Qobuz, I added “A Lasting Impression” via a streaming service, and Roon Remote on iOS and Android devices did categorize “A Lasting Impression” under Du Pre.

However, there still appears to be a bug since Roon Remote apps on Android and iOS fail to categorize this same album if it is scanned from a hard drive…

To emulate what I am experiencing, you will likely need to scan “A Lasting Impression” from a hard drive. This might help you see that Roon Remote apps on Android and iOS are not functioning properly.

Possible that a Windows Roon Remote update did not port over to Android and iOS?