Roon does not recognize Rotel Michi P5 native DSD support (ref#H6HHES)

Affected Product

Roon

Roon Issue Category

Hardware Compatibility

Description of Issue

Why can’t Roon recognize that the Rotel Michi P5 supports native DSD?

Roon Server Platform

macOS

Roon Server Specifications

Mac Mini, M2, 8G Ram, 1TB Storage, 1 Year Old

Connected Audio Devices

PC-USB Connection to Michi P5

Home Network Details

Ethernet, Linksys

Screenshot

Good morning. Did you by chance change the USB type from Class-1 to Class-2 in the Michi’s config settings. I believe that is necessary for the DSD. I have an X3 but am using an external DAC.

MacOS does not support native DSD streaming, only via DoP.

If you want to feed the DAC a non-DoP DSD stream, then use Windows and the ASIO drivers from Michi.

Yes, changed. Still not recognizing.

Don’t own any window machines. Are there any other solutions?

You could run a virtual machine. But keep in mind that DoP is the same as native DSD, it only carries the DSD stream within a PCM container. There is no alteration in sound.

You can get a small Windows PC, load RoonBridge and the Michi drivers. Then your chain would be Ethernet to small Windows PC USB to Michi. You can find them on Amazon for 150 USD or so. Like this one.

Or, as mentioned, DoP is native DSD you are just missing out on the highest resolution because of the PCM wrapper.

For Linux, it is a mixed bag and you will need to research. Like the small windows PC, you would be getting a device that takes IN ethernet and outputs USB. However, with Linux, each device needs to be patched for each linux kernel. So, the only way to know for sure, is to discuss with the Linux endpoint device manufacturer if it supports the Michi.

Most of what I have read says that in theory, native DSD could be considered superior as it involves less processing (no encapsulation or decapsulation needed). However, practically speaking, the differences between DoP and native DSD are practically negligible, especially with high-quality DACs. I do like the idea of the inexpensive PC (thanks for that suggestion). I will make that purchase to see if I detect much. It may be nothing but I’ll have fun trying. Thanks for all the info! Great forum and responses.

Not in any practical way, DAC gets exact same data in either case. But since you need a Windows computer to output native DSD anyway, I am having good luck with this one:
HIGOLE GOLE 2 Pro Mini PC - Windows 11 Pro, Intel Celeron N5095, 16GB LPDDR4,256GB SSD, WiFi 5, Bluetooth 5.2, Gigabit Ethernet, Micro PC Support 4K HDMI Double Display - Newegg.com
so far. Outouts native DSD at the highest resolution the DAC accepts, and doubles as a full Roon UI as well.

Thanks, I have also looked into this. In practical terms, the difference in processing power requirement between DoP and native DSD is minimal and not a concern. The bandwidth requirements for DoP are higher because the DSD data is sent within a PCM stream. Either way, I look forward to seeing if there is noticeable difference.

Highly doubtful that there will be any audible difference.

The only reason to go this route is if you actually have any DSD256 files and do not want to downsample them in Roon

Interestingly, my Peachtree is perfectly capable of native DSD256 playback from Windows but is marketed as DSD128 device, probably because too many Mac users were complaining :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yep, same here.

Must seriously cut down on support costs :slight_smile:

Still makes me wonder (I asked a year ago, but never got a solid answer either from Roon or device manufacturer)… is RAAT itself capable of DSD512 (I know, it’s quite useless in practice but I am curious)? I have two devices that can play DSD512 from network storage, but Roon shows DSD256 as the maximum…

Yes it is capable.

I learned this the hard way through try and error, use the asio driver and then for volume use fixed volume and for dsd playback strategy use native.
Do not let Windows use it in any way, set all default outputs of the computer elsewhere.

reply if it works as it did for me.

Yes had it working on SMSL dac when I had one.

Over the network, or with a directly connected DAC?

Over the network to PI which was connected to DAC.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.