Roon doesn't keep track of what Linn DSM is playing

Well, that same “Selekt DSM” might have had a totally different version of the Davaar Firmware installed.

Use Konfig from Linn Downloads to check which version you have on yours.

I can cofnirm I have the same problem. I have a Linn Majik DSM/3. Updated to lastest firmware/software.
Installed Roon(complete) on a macbook. So now and then I don’t see the paying bar making any progress anymore, while the music is actually playing.

When I closed roon, AND Linn Majik DSM, and started again, it worked for a few songs. And after that same problem :frowning:

I’m using Roon together with Qobuz

Hello @LinnDre,

I think the next step here is to enable some diagnostics on your account so our technical staff can get some more insight into what’s going on here.

However, before I enable this feature, I’d like to ask for your help ensuring we gather the right information.

First, can you please reproduce the issue once more and note the time at which the error occurs. Then respond here with that time, and I’ll make sure we review the diagnostics related to that timestamp.

-John

Thanks for the reply. After deinstalling qobuz restarting Mac. Instelling qobuz again. Restarting. Roon seems to work well.

I will keep an eye on the issue and if IT happens again I will let you know

If I may I’d like to bump this as I have the same issues. I did wonder if it was down to using Powerline - the server is two floors above the listening room and that’s how they are connected - but yesterday I moved the server to a position a couple of feet from the DS, with no improvement.
Everything is up to date - Roon is running on an HP Microserver with WHS 2011, the KDS is running the most recent release firmware and Roon on iPad, iPhone and server are all the latest build.
Did you folk at Roon discover anything about the cause of this?

Mick

The problem didn’t show up for months now. What I can say is, that I reboot (power off / power on) my Linn streamer once or twice a month because I have all sorts of issues (some of them not related with Roon at all) which force me to reboot anyway. Maybe these regular reboots have a positive effect on this strange problem as well…

Thanks for that. Next time it happens I’ll give it a try.

Mick

Ah-ha! It’s been fine since I last posted, until today when it started happening again. I powered off and on the DS and all is well again. Strange, but at least it appears (so far) to be something I can easily resolve, although I’d rather it didn’t happen at all, of course.
What other issues do you have that necessitates switching your DS off regularly?

Mick

For example when I’m modifying Linn Space Optimisation using the web-based version. When I’m switching through different profiles too fast the systems gets stuck sometimes.

Once in a while it also happens that the streamer cannot be found on my network at all (in Roon as well as in other apps). In this case a reboot is necessary as well. This happens very rarely though.

Ah ok - thanks for that. I use SO v2 but don’t often flip between optimisations so that doesn’t cause me any grief - the DS is pretty much well behaved here.

Hello Michael,

Only for my interest - why do you not use the Konfig app on Mac/Win? It offers much more possibilities to tweak the sound.

If I switch between profiles it takes a couple of seconds before the new „config file“ is updated in the Linn system.

Regards
Tom

Hi Tom

I use Konfig for various things, but no longer for SO. I now use SO v2 as I find it gets me much better results, in my slightly oddly shaped room. I do miss the tweakability of v1, but at least now I find I spend less time fiddling and more listening!

Mick

There’s obviously something going on here.
I’m currently trialling a KDS/3 in my system. Both my Nucleus and the KDS are directly connected to my ASUS router using identical lengths of Belkin Cat6 cable.
My other endpoints are a Lumin A1, and a Chord M Scaler/TT2 combo, and an Esoteric K-01X. Both the Chord and the Esoteric are directly connected to the Nucleus via USB.
ALL my other Roon endpoints work perfectly. Apart from the Linn. I too get the ‘stuck pin’ when playing after a few tracks have played, and then it refuses to play anything above 16/44.1 from Qobuz. I keep getting the message ‘Unable to communicate with device’ message. Plus Roon radio doesn’t work most of the time, and it often stops playing after one track.
I’m frustrated, and it’s frankly NOT good enough for a £16k streamer.

Strange. I have no issue playing high res from Qobuz on our KDS/3 and the ‘cursor not tracking the music’ thing only happens every so often, maybe once or twice a week, although currently it’s been fine for over a week.
Wonder what the issue actually is?

Mick

I definitely have no problem with my two Linn streamers. However, I have not connected any of my devices directly to a router, all endpoints are connected to the network via a switch.

A new firmware for both devices was released 2 days ago. Maybe this helps…

Release Notes:

Davaar 75 Build 360 (4.75.360) Released on 13 Feb 2020
New features

Wi-Fi network connectivity for Selekt (will work on all existing Selekt devices)
Bluetooth audio playback for Selekt (will work on all existing Selekt devices)
Configurable SPDIF input/output for Selekt (will work on all existing Selekt
devices on SPDIF 1 connector)
MPEG2 AAC support for Selekt with surround module and Core 1 products with HDMI 2.0 and surround module

Maintenance and Bug fixes

Mono downmix support for all Selekt variants
Enabled LPEC for Kustom
Added option to set startup volume for Kustom
Added option to reduce max playlist size
Improvements to changing between wired and wireless networks
Revert UPnP version to 1.0 (makes no change to any known control point)
Updated security libraries (fixes some rare crashes)
Improvements to reading TuneIn favourites
Updates to Qobuz usage reporting
Fixed (rare) repeating crash with very long Tidal or Qobuz user name
Improvements to some edge case behaviour shuffling a playlist
Fixed Selekt crash moving from HDMI to SPDIF/ TOSLINK source
Fixed hang when connection to Linn Account was interrupted
Fixed #6196: Selekt DSM: Display 'Failed to Play Pin'
Prevent volume from wrapping to max volume when decremented from zero
Added mechanism for clearing Wi-Fi credentials from device
    Selekt can be done via the display menu
    Series 3 cane be done with a press and hold of pin buttons 1,2 and 5 (2 seconds)

Cheers for this.
The latest Davaar update hasn’t changed its behaviour, and I’ve changed the ethernet cable, but to no avail.
I’ll try putting a switch into the network to see if it makes a difference.

I know Linn allude to putting a switch in the network in their on-line documentation, but why? My ASUS router has a ‘built-in switch’ with ports built-in. EVERY OTHER bit of connected kit works absolutely fine connected directly to the router.

Why is the Linn any different? Very annoying.

SELEKT DSM + Davaar 75 Build 360 (4.75.360) had the same issue.

@support This is going for more than a year now, an you’ve asked several of us to provide detaillied infos which we’ve sent and you’ve you’ll look into logging data.

However, the problen is going on, there’s been no fix and not even a qualified response from roon.

Very annoying.

1 Like

Hi Martin,

The question is legitimate. One should therefore be able to assume that the direct connection to a router should be identical to that of a switch. But it is not. I don’t know about your Asus router, but I (and all of my customers) use a FritzBox from AVM. And this router has the property that the network connections have power management (maybe your Asus also), which leads to problems depending on the connected device. After a while, the chip card readers for data collection from patients (doctor’s office) simply disappear from the network. Other devices like printers have no problem. I have the problem e.g. with a control of my photovoltaic, as well as a wall box. The solution is simple and effective: I no longer use the connections of the router, everything runs via switches. The cables of my stereo go over 2 floors, the individual lines are up to 60m long, there is definitely no problem. I also solved my customers’ problems by having all network connections via switches. The connection to the router is only the Internet connection, the network ports of the router are no longer used. Well, as an idea, maybe that will help.

Here ist the connection diagram of my stereo. It’s complex but ist runs flawlessly. So yours should too…

Cheers for this @StereJo :grinning:

I was looking at the Linn website yesterday and came across this:

https://docs.linn.co.uk/wiki/index.php/System_requirements

It clearly states that Linn recommend a separate network switch in a Kilmax DS system. My bad! :woozy_face:

Anyway, I’ve inserted a network switch in-between the router and the KDS, and it does seem to improve functionality of the KDS. At least Kazoo now works without any hitches, which it didn’t do before.

I’m going to try Roon integration next…

1 Like