Roon doesn't keep track of what Linn DSM is playing

Thanks @ Martin_Kelly, please report about your further experience, I’m interested…

@StereJo thanks for the suggestion, from me too. Our ISP router is right next to the KDS so I’ve never used a separate switch even though I’ve always been aware of Linn’s recommendation to do so.
I’ve just ordered a Netgear GS105 to use there. If there’s no improvement it’s not the end of the world, as It can’t do any harm!

Mick

Sadly, after two full days of using the switch, the cursor has got stuck again. Maybe I should just power the DS off and on every couple of days anyway.

Mick

I use separate uncontrolled switch (Netgear GS105) between my Win10 Roon PC/server and Linn ADSM Katalyst and still have this same problem every now and then. It’s as straight connection as possible. I struggled with it a lot some time ago and really did everything to fix it. I bought new switch, I bought new network interface card (Intel I210) to my PC instead of the integrated one on motherboard, I installed every newest driver and firmware etc. It’s not that bad nowadays but still appears every now and then, usually only when I change something in the setup.

After the recent firmware update on ADSM, I once again faced this playback stop after few tracks. Before it I had few troublefree months. I’ve found out that if the problem appears, it helps to fiddle some random advanced NIC settings under the device manager on the PC. I switched on/off settings like interrupt moderation and green ethernet and did few restarts and restarted the ADSM also. Now it works again. It’s just complete mystery what’s the cause since it really doesn’t matter how the advanced settings are left, you just need to fiddle something. I’ve contacted Linn and Roon about it and nobody knows why this happens. Roon_log says something about wsa cancel blocking call before it drops the connection but i guess it doesn’t help. Roon just loses connection to Linn ADSM while music is playing, makes no sense.

It seems that Roon’s been updated today and I’m pretty sure it drops out again after the update. I’m not home until tomorrow evening so I can’t try before that.

Cheers @StereJo

I’ve had a very very frustrating couple of weeks with this KDS…
The original switch I bought was a TP-Link TL-SG108E. That switch seemed to solve my Kazoo issues, but didn’t solve the Roon issues I was having above. Roon still couldn’t send High-Rez audio from Qobuz to the KDS, and I kept getting a communication error message.

I then found this guidance from Linn:

https://docs.linn.co.uk/wiki/index.php/Recommended_Ethernet_Switches

I’ve now purchased a NETGEAR GS108, and at last my Roon problems have been solved. I’m now getting full-functionality with Roon, and the KDS seems to be working as it should. Hurrah!
I think it’s very important to follow Linn’s guidance on this matter. But I’m still a little disappointed that this bit of (expensive) kit is so fussy about network infrastructure, when nothing else I use is.

Perhaps I need to be looking at this instead? :wink:

Hi @Martin_Kelly,

congratulations on solving your roon problems. From personal experience, I would like to add that I have had good experiences with all Netgeat switches. Of course you can also buy a Melco S100 switch, the question is whether a switch is necessary for € 1999.- (Germany). As you can see from my system setup, out of pure interest I have integrated a so-called “audiophile switch”, a Silent Angel Bonn N8. With these I replaced one of my both Netgear GS105Ev2. I just wanted to know if such an audiophile switch really does improve the sound. As a result, I can say that I am satisfied with the sound. But that’s what I was before. So if you would ask me whether a switch for € 399.- sounds better than a switch for € 29.- I would answer diplomatically that no answer can be given. At least the financial expenditure was limited and I learned a little more.

If you want to spend money on an audiophile switch, you can also try the UpTone Audio EtherREGEN. It costs at least only $ 640.- But before you decide to do so, I recommend reading this UpTone Audio EtherREGEN Switch Review. It pretty much reflects my listening experience.

@support Another point is that Roon should perhaps include this switch problem, which certainly does not only affect Linn devices, in the instructions. This can surely avoid many network problems.

Cheers and happy rooning beerchug

1 Like

@support

I would echo this point made so well by @StereJo

Linn DS players seem to be especially fussy about the switches that are used.

Cheers for the feedback :grinning:
Now that I’ve got the Linn working at last, I don’t want to chance it not working again by changing the switch. So I think I’ll give the Melco a miss!

Martin,

I am not sure that this is normally the case. I have run my Linn Klimax DS (2nd gen) successfully without any problems whatsoever for quite some time using both TP-Link and (more recently) Cisco 2960 switches.

The only problems I have encountered have been since the 1.7 upgrade, and involve a lack of artist/album metadata and artwork happening randomly in approximately one of every 3 or 4 tracks selected by Roon Radio. This does not affect the Music itself (whether hi-res or not), just the track metadata and is very annoying. It’s not device specific - the problem occurs irrespective of which of my 4 Roon enabled devices I am using.

No problems with switches and music replay though over the 5 or 6 years I have been using Linn KDS devices - Klimax Renew DS/0 and then Klimax DS/1.

1 Like

Good to hear that someone else has had a better experience with their DS :grinning:
I don’t know? Maybe there is ‘something strange’ about my network/router that made the TP-Link switch unusable in my system? Whenever people have had problems with Roon in the past on this forum, it is usually a problem with their home network, rather than a problem with Roon itself. Maybe the same situation applies in my network when using a DS?
Anyway, ‘all’s well that ends well’. The DS is working perfectly with Roon now :smiley:
But I still wish that Linn would make their network players ‘Roon Ready’. It’s about time!

1 Like

I definitely agree!

3 Likes

There’s no doubt about it, Linn make great-sounding kit. I’ve been a customer of theirs for over thirty-years, and I’m overall very, very happy with their stuff.
But they are a very stubborn/principled company (whichever way you choose to look at it!) and I think their ability to ‘flex’ to customers is very limited. Take DSD for example. It took them until the DS Katalyst to support this format.
To be fair to Linn, there is a big sticker on the side of the box stating clearly ‘Must be installed by a Linn dealer’, but I just wish the company as a whole was a bit more ‘accommodating’?
Anyway, I’m going to stop whinging now, and get back to listening to some music! That’s what matters in the end. And the KDS/3 does deliver :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

I used my Akurate DS with a small unmanaged Netgear 8-Port switch for some years and switched to a UniFi switch by the end of last year. Never had any problems with any of those.

1 Like

Well, maybe I spoke too soon. Less than a day after putting the new switch in, I got the ‘not tracking’ issue, but since powering the DS off/on, it’s been absolutely fine. I’ve left a shuffle running for almost two days now issues at all.
Hurrah for Netgear!

Mick

Ahh, I saw you got a GS105.
My GS108 has been working perfectly with my KDS for a week or so now :+1:

1 Like

And as I thought, there was dropouts again after the update. But the usual fiddlings with some NIC advanced settings helped and it has worked again. Maybe you should just never update anything and it would always work. It’s truly a mystery how Roon + Linn works.

Hey guys,

how come you think this problem is related to some network/switch/hardware gear and is not just some software bug? I’ve never had any network issues with my Linn Klimax DSM oder Majik DS running with Kazoo or Bubble DS.

There has never been a proper follow up on Roon’s side, so the question whether it can be fixed by Roon oder Linn is pending, imho.

I’ve went through this problem with Roon support and they at least tried to be very helpful but nothing was ever really done on software side to fix it. I’ve also reported this to Linn but same story.

I guess not everyone is having these problems since Roon + Linn should be quite common combination so your only option is to try to fiddle with hardware and settings.

Well, two vendors blaming each other is a standard situation in software development. :wink:
I do think a lot of people have this problem, since is some of us posting this here – not everyone is posting.
It’s very unsatisfying.

Possibly because managed switches can introduce some bizarre effects. Roon Labs also advise dumb switches unless you know what you are doing…

1 Like