Roon doesn't "see", for database backup, my 2TB ROCK internal drive (where I have all my music stored) and offers me only a Dropbox backup

… and as the free available space in Dropbox is not enough to save even a single backup, I am being forced to buy space in Dropbox… what is happening?

Use a USB drive or thumb drive.

The additional internal drive in a ROCK NUC is entirely dedicated to music storage. It deliberately will not appear as a potential storage location in Roon’s Backup system. See the KB article on Backup, and take note of this section:

We also strongly recommend that you do not set the location of Scheduled Backups to be within any Watched Folders. Keep the locations separate.

As @Jim_F says, use a USB drive, or a network location to store your backups.

1 Like

of course… that will me an alternative… but I rather not have the USB ports active as it affects the sound quality… besides, what would be the reason for that inconvenience…? I have 600GB of free space in that SSD, a disc (not being the one housing ROCK), is a disc… and if for some formatting reason that is not possible, devise a situation in which a user can choose what remote cloud storage use to backup… I have all my systems in the Google Drive ecosystem… BTW… if the idea is to allow cloud backup storage, why not allow (instead or along) a far more popular (provided with every single Android phone in the world) Google Drive account, that provides 15GB of free storage, instead of the obviously insufficient 2GB allowed for the free Drobox account… seems far more logical… or is in Roon interest that users pay extra to get their backups in Dropbox…? if no the case, which I assume is not, why doesn’t Roon get an agreement for Roon users to be able to back up the database in Dropbox without extra payment? I find not fair to pay a fee, that is said to be “whole”, to later find out that some amenities are extras…

A USB drive plugged into your Nucleus/NUC for scheduled backups is not inconvenient nor does it affect sound quality.

3 Likes

in my ears, it actually does affect sound quality… but there is no point to discuss that…

1 Like

You cannot backup to watched storage, like Roon internal storage. Put a USB drive on to hold the backups, much faster and cheaper than Dropbox.

You can back it up to another computer or Nas if you prefer. You just need to mount the shared drive folder on the Rock like you would for music. This is how I do it. I have a cd drive and external usb drive for music on my Rock doesnt change a thing sound wise, so not sure how a very low powered usb stick can but hey it’s your system you using a usb DAC to it?

No need to keep the USB Stick mounted when the BU is finished. And i’m sure you can stand the sounds made during these few minutes, when the backup is performed?

1 Like

Not only that but

Roon will be temporarily unavailable while the “snapshot” of your library is created, so make sure to schedule the backups for a time you’re rarely listening to music, like the middle of the night. If music is playing when your backup is scheduled to kick off, Roon will retry the next day.

2 Likes

In my opinion it is not a matter of power consumption, the single fact of having an active USB involves clock signal, processes and circuitry active as well… bottom line, in my personal experience, when ROCK has no USB activity at all (meaning nothing plugged into a USB socket), my system sounds better…

thank you, I agree to a degree that precisely that is what I have been doing… but, so much for the “automatic” backup… :wink:

@Rugby @Jim_F @Geoff_Coupe @CrystalGipsy @Mikael_Ollars… Thank you all for your answers, I really appreciate you spending your time on my issue… I was just hoping for a ROCK local alternative that allowed me to keep it automatic, and didn’t involve USB drives… I now understand that the only available alternative (besides using Dropbox whose free version is useless to that purpose) is to implement a LAN device backup as CrystalGypsy suggest…

That works too. Although some people have a hard time setting up a share on a different computer and then pointing the linux device to it. That is why I suggest USB, as it will work without any hassle.

1 Like

In general, you don’t want the backup on the same device as the thing you’re backing up. If you lose the drive — hardware failure, spilled coffee, power supply spike, burglary — you lose the backup too.

In this specific case, what I am backing up is the Library Database Backup which is pertinent only to the music file stored in the drive, and not the music files themselves… in the case you mention if, for any reason, the SSD/HDD gets lost or corrupted, there would be no point in keeping the database of a library that is already lost…

Of course you want to keep a backup of the music as well. You paid for it, no? Or at least did all the labor of ripping CDs?

Or lives are digital, everything needs to be protected.

Why useless? I have used Dropbox free version for 5 years with no problems.

Not enough space? Too slow to finish a Roon backup within a mans lifespan? :smiley:

My database backup of 50k tracks takes less than 5 minutes & I keep 10 historical backups, all in the free version with space for my documents as well.