Roon doesn't start on monitor where it was closed [Roon Investigating]

I have 4 monitors setup on my PC, one of them being reserved for Roon.

However, Roon always seem to start on my main monitor instead of the monitor it was last used.

I consider this to be a bug.

Have you dragged/placed the Roon program shortcut on the screen you wish to use?

1 Like

I start Roon from the start menu, so no.

I don’t believe there is something I need to do. Roon should simply remember its last coordinates as almost all other applications are capable.

I’d try what I’ve suggested. It works for me, mostly.

And if you add it to the Startup folder it’ll run upon turning on your PC.

Tried - unfortunately, makes no difference.

Ok. Try this

To change which monitor an app should open by default, do the following:

1. Ensure all instances of the app are closed. (this step might not be required, but I’ve noticed that without it it sometimes refuses to work)

2. Open your program.

3. Move it to the monitor on which you would like it to open by default.

4. Hit the Windows key + Shift + Enter.

5. Close the application, and open it again - it should now open on the correct monitor

1 Like

Tnx for helping - I didn’t know about that one.

Unfortunately, still no difference (I use Win11 if it does matter).

Hmm, annoyingly I’ve just found this. Looks like it’s not supported without 3rd party software.

How do I make a program always open on a certain monitor?
As of now, Windows 11/10 doesn’t carry such a feature for the users. However, there are some third-party software such as DisplayFusion that help you in various situations while using a multi-monitor setup. Whether you want to open an app on a particular monitor or one monitor, you can do everything with the help of such tools.

Haven’t got a multi monitor setup myself to test, but just found following tip, if the above doesn’t work.

Sometimes, your PC might not be able to detect the move (very unusual case) between monitors. If that happens, apps will open on the same monitor all the time.
To get rid of that problem, open the app on your computer and resize the window. Make sure it is not maximized or minimized in any way.
Following that, move the window to another monitor on which you want to open.
Now close the app’s window without resizing or maximizing it again. After that, you can open the program on your desired monitor without any problem.

EDIT:
@AMT, haha, it’s from the same page you were referencing in your last post … well

1 Like

:joy:

I didn’t list this as a possible solution because the OP had an issue repeatedly moving the Roon screen to his chosen screen once opened. Minimising the app as described means it’ll have to be maximised each time when opened (does for me). So it could be seen as a nuisance just as moving it is.

If it works great, solution given. :+1:

1 Like

Hey @gmit2,

Sorry for the long delay in getting to your thread! We were able to reproduce this on our end, and are working on getting a ticket over to our developers for a fix.

I won’t be able to speak on specific timelines, but I can confirm that this issue has been added to their queue to work through. :+1:

1 Like

Hey @gmit2,

We were able to bring this issue to our team call today. As a next step, can you test moving your primary monitor on your setup to a different monitor? For example:

If you set primary to leftmost monitor, does Roon open on center monitor?
If you set primary to center monitor, does Roon open on right monitor?
If you set primary to right monitor, does Roon open on right monitor?

If you fully reinstall Roon fresh, does Roon open properly on the main monitor? Does Roon follow properly when switching main monitors?

Thanks!

Hey,

I can test what you’d like, but my setup is a bit incompatible with your current questions as I don’t have a center monitor and I don’t use Roon on my main monitor.

I have 4 monitors arranged as 2x2. Bottom-left is my main monitor, top-right is Roon monitor.

(Almost) all monitors have different resolutions and DPIs. :smiley:

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Hey @gmit2,

Sorry for the delay in following up!

We were testing to see if Roon always chose the monitor to the right of the desired option.

Were you able to test the above?

Thanks!

Hello,

no, why would that help? I presume you update stored window position either after moving the window or quitting the Roon client, which would also happen if reinstalling would clear all stored settings.

Hey @gmit2,

Based on our investigation so far, a reinstalled fresh version of Roon opens properly on the main monitor, and when switching main monitors, Roon follows properly.

Before doing anything, please make sure you have a recent backup saved. :+1:

But my Roon opens on my main monitor and I don’t want that. I would like to open on the last monitor it was on.

My apologies for the lack of clarity @gmit2, a fresh install should allow for Roon to save its place on the last monitor it was running on.

Please let me know if this is not the case after a fresh install.