Nucleus+, internal SSD

Network Details
Linn DSM >Etherregen <Nucleus

Audio Devices
Linn Organic DSM

Library Size
5TB

Description of Issue
Just got a brand new Linn Organik DSM. It supports DSD256. However, when I try to play DSD256, Roon downsamples it to DSD128.

Any idea why? Or how to get it to stop?

@beka
@dylan

Hello @Michael_Faoro,

Congrats on your purchase :partying_face: and thanks for reaching out to make sure it’s being used in the best possible way.

I was wondering, could you please send us a screenshot of:

• the Signal path, while playing a track
  • the Device Setup (expanded by clicking on Show Advanced on the pop-up window). You can find this in Settings → Audio by clicking in the gear :gear: icon next to the device.

Thanks in advance :pray:

Thank you!

I hadn’t notice that device setup UI was there.

My understanding now is that this is a known issue and will be corrected. Correct?

The 2016 Katalyst DS/DSM will play up to DSD128.

The Organik will play DSD256.

https://docs.linn.co.uk/wiki/index.php/DSD_Support

I think the problem is, is that you’ve misidentified your Organik DSM as a Katalyst variant, and so Roon automatically downsamples DSD256 to DSD128.

I notice that the Organik DSM isn’t yet featured on Roon’s Linn page.

Perhaps the Organik DSM has yet to be approved by Roon/‘Roon Tested’?

1 Like

@beka

Any thoughts on this bug. I’ve read on multiple forums that this a known issue with Roon?

Is it? If so, when will it be addressed?

It’s not a ‘bug’. The new/Organik DSM has yet to be ‘certified’ by Roon.

You won’t see any changes until that happens. I would have thought that it’s ‘work in progress’ and that Linn have supplied a unit to Roon for approval.

1 Like

Hello @Michael_Faoro,

Thanks for following up on this conversation (and sorry for the delay on my part :sweat:).

As @Martin_Kelly has mentioned (thanks @Martin_Kelly), this is not a bug. For a device to be Roon certified (Roon Ready and Roon Tested), there is a close collaboration between Roon and the device manufacturer; this process requires testing + technical feedback from both our end and the other company.

If you reach out directly to the manufacturer, they might be able to provide some more details of how certification is going on their end, but on our end the answer here will always be the same - the device will only be certified once it’s ready and passes all the necessary checks.

Whenever that is, all devices are listed on our partners page. For Linn, it is this one:

1 Like

For serious listening, as far as any linn streamer is concerned, I think Linn Kazoo would sound better than Roon, but Roon provides a far better experience as its user interface is far superior than the Linn Kazoo app.

@beka , any update from your end? The Linn DSM/3 (Organik) is a very important, high-end streamer, and I would have thought Roon would give it a very high priority?

Btw. as an owner of the new Linn DSM/3 and a Roon Nucleus, I am forced to stop using Roon because it cannot do DSD 256 and 24 bit /384 kz sample rate.

Roon Labs might notify the manufacturer, but the actual implementation would have to be done by the manufacturer, then if needed, Roon Labs will test it. Whether or not Roon Labs give this a higher priority or not has not much relation to what a manufacturer will or will not do, or at what priority even if it wants to do it.

thanks @wklie, I am just looking for any update from @beka (and Roon developers) as I think Roon would be more responsive, and of course I would seek the same details from Linn.

Roon Labs cannot tell you the progress for any Roon certification work, perhaps due to NDA, policy or any other reasons.

It’s good to know, and then it is not very useful/helpful to the end-users.
PS: Lumin could be a good alternative to Linn streamer products, but I could not find any Lumin dealer in my area who can really support your products on a personal level.

Like myself, I think you’ve been on this forum for a while now. Therefore you should know that Roon don’t comment/provide public updates on pending certification processes.

As an aside, it’s interesting to note that the 2020 line of the Majik DSM isn’t yet showing as certified by Roon. So I wouldn’t ‘hold your breath’ waiting for the KDSM/3 at the moment.

1 Like

I know, but I am still a bit disappointed on how things progress…
At a big tech firm in the SF bay area where I work, things are moving at microsecond speed.

1 Like

Linn and Roon have to work together on this, to pass certification. I must admit, I think having the DSM/3 Roon certified before launch should have been the way to go. But Linn obviously decided against this.

Hey @QuinnT,

I wish I could say something differently than what has been said so far… :pleading_face:

We can’t really comment on certification progress, as this is a collaboration between two companies (Roon and Linn, in this case) and requires testing + technical feedback from both our end and the other company.

If you reach out directly to Linn, they might be able to provide some more details of how certification is going on their end, but on our end the answer here will always be the same - the device will only be certified once it’s ready and passes all the necessary checks.

1 Like

Thanks @beka, I got it.

1 Like

Just to let @beka and others know that Linn fixed the DSD 256 bug by the latest firmware release Davaar 84 Build 415 (released on 8/30/2021).

1 Like