Roon downsampling DSD256 to 128 though Linn DSM supports 256

Let me know what you think Mick! :grinning:

I doubt you will be disappointed :).

Except in the inability to play DSD256 through Roon.

2 Likes

Luckily, I don’t have any DSD256 content to play. But I sympathise with those users who do.

So far, so good Mick!

A definite step-up from Katalyst :smiley:

1 Like

Excellent! Just got home with mine - quick coffee then I’l get it up and running!

1 Like

With plain-old RB sounding so good now, there’s no need at all for High-Res or DSD now! :smiley:

1 Like

@beka

Any updates?

1 Like

Got a new Linn Selekt DSM Surround. It supports DSD256. However, when I try to play DSD256, Roon down samples it to DSD128 - see below image

1 Like

Yep. Kinda sucks. The ball is in Roon’s court and has been for a long time. Very frustrating.

2 Likes

@Support - any news to this problem?

It’s not Roon’s fault, it’s a documented Linn limitation, see quotes and links below:

• Supports DSD64 (2.8224MHz) and DSD128 (5.6448MHz) sample rates.DSD256 is only supported on Klimax DSM (2020 variant).

Support for FLAC, Apple Lossless, WAV, DSD (64/128), MP3, WMA (except lossless), AIFF, AAC and OGG at up to 24-bit 192 kHz resolution

https://docs.linn.co.uk/wiki/index.php/DSD_Support

It is still Roon’s issue with respect to the DSM/3, DSD 256 support is still not there.

The documentation I linked to states that DM256 is only available on Klimax DSM (2020), and that only on its analog outputs. I have such a system at my other place, but I’ve never tried DSD with it.

Yes, you already said it on your earlier post, one of these is the next gen dsm/3 (organik). I did play dsd256 at home via kazoo.

The analog outputs are where you want it after the DAC converts it from DSD.

If you read the entire thread, you will understand that the problem is that Roon downsamples DSD 256 to 128 even though the DSM3 supports it.

Linn had some work to do. They did it last fall. It’s in Roon’s court since then. @beka has given us insight before but there has been radio silence for a while.

1 Like

Lol
Pretty sure he was replying to @Fernando_Pereira there.

1 Like

Yes I was replying to the Jorge fellow. Not to Quinn. I am as frustrated as he is.

It strange how the forum doesn’t quote the post you are replying to when directly replying to one.

1 Like

Apologies , I was wearing a wrong pair of glasses, so I did not read the post carefully (clearly) :frowning: I thought it was from the mister who had the misconception about who was at fault.

I am frustrated by Roon @support.

Thanks @AceRimmer for pointing it out.

The thread is getting confusing because some of the Linn gear discussed does not support DSD256, for example the Selekt that @Torben_Rick wrote about recently, which is what I was replying to.

Did another test :frowning:

When playing the above no sound. But Linn Selekt DSM Surround do support DSD 128.