Roon downsampling DSD256 to 128 though Linn DSM supports 256

I am away from my my DSM for a while😭. Did they fix this in 2.0?

Nope. :frowning:

Have Linn submitted the latest KDSM for Roon testing yet? That’s probably the problem.

If so, Roon @support should have said something about it this in this thread?

I asked about this in the Linn development forum, and according to Linn, all is in place on their side.

1 Like

This was my understanding as well.

If I remember correctly, someone in Roon support said that it was their work item now.

1 Like

Slightly off-topic, but…

With Organik, DSD is irrelevant IMO. The new board does so well with something as basic as 16/44.1, that I find High-Res/DSD irrelevant now.

3 Likes

I think DSD is less important with any DAC, but it is still not an excuse to skip supporting it, and another issue which I think is very critical is not supporting the Linn Organik 384/24 sampling rate.

2 Likes

Hi @Torben_Rick ,

When you try to play DSD 64, does that fail as well? Or is the error only on DSD 128?

I wonder if this could be because it is a “Surround” model? Are you using the Analog outputs of this device?

@noris - Hi Noris. There is no need for any analog outputs because it is a “all in one” unit. So only ethernet and HDMI Out (ARC) to TV.

Yes - that is the problem. Linn has been informed and is working on a fix for DSD

1 Like

@danny

It’s been a year since this thread saw any action and two and a half years since the device came out.

What is the status of this? Is Roon blocked somehow? As I understood, Linn had made the necessary changes for Roon to pass DSD 256 to the DSM3.

Do you need access to the hardware and can’t get it? We could help apply pressure on Linn.

There are a lot of these devices in the wild now. It’s time for this to be rectified.

Michael

1 Like

It would appear that Linn have ‘ditched’ Roon, but have failed to make their decision public?

Pathetic. And this comes from a loyal Linn customer, with KDS Organik, and all the other kit around it.

Re: ditched. Can you elaborate on ‘ditched?’ I am all kinds of curious. What’s weird is that they support the Selekt DSM and its newer that the Klimax DSM.

No, I think the Selekt DSM was released before the KDSM/3?

It seems that Linn ‘gave up’ on Roon shortly after the Selekt range was released.

The new(er) Majik DSM isn’t listed as ‘Roon Tested’, and neither is my upgraded Organik KDS. Never mind their flagship KDS/3. As I say, pathetic :rage:

I thought that Linn had done all of the work necessary for Roon and the DSM3 to play nice with DSD256 content. That the ball was in Roon’s court.

I don’t believe Linn. There is no reason whatsoever why Roon would ‘hold up’ certification for the KDS/3. It’s Linn. I’m as sure as I can be.

We can only speculate about that. I contacted Linn via email about this topic some time ago. Linn’s response was that they had implemented all the requirements for Roon certification. It is therefore impossible to say with certainty who is on the brakes here.

Anyway, it looks like a kindergarten where everyone burdens each other. An issue like this is dealt with professionally and together among adults.

Yes, the consistent message from Linn is that have done all the work necessary for certification.

The problem is that the issue is not being dealt with - adult or otherwise.

It’s quite clear that the ‘adults’ don’t have the ability to solve the problem, whomever they may be.

So perhaps it would be better to leave it to the ‘children’! :rofl:

1 Like

Hi, Linn employee here. There are a few misunderstandings in this thread. I’ll try to clear them up.

Linn DSMs do not use RAAT to integrate with Roon. Instead, we worked with Roon to define a different network protocol that we both implemented. The first pass at this didn’t include support for determining highest supported sample rates (a big oversight in hindsight but easily missed when over a decade of products had the same limits). We agreed an approach to advertise this over the network and updated DSM firmware accordingly. The remaining step will be for Roon to update their side to make use of this information. They have confirmed that they intend to do this but (quite reasonably) do not share timescales for internal development work. ARC is a large new feature which clearly required a lot of development effort so I can understand why it is taking time to schedule this work.

Since we don’t use RAAT, we also do not go through standard certification testing. Since we don’t fit into a standard workflow for Roon, some requests for icons or product status to be updated were missed. Once it became clear that nothing bad happened because of this, we’ve become a bit careless about requesting updates for more recent products. Apologies for any confusion this has caused. Rest assured it does not affect the integration of your DSM with Roon.

For DSD256, these tracks will still play through Roon, albeit they’ll be downsampled to 128. As a temporary workaround, you have the option of playing them at native resolution through Linn’s control point, switching back to Roon for other listening.

Pre-empting one likely question, we don’t use RAAT as it won’t run on some DSM models. Linn was first to HiFi quality network streaming and we started working on the first iteration of our core digital platform in 2003. This led to us making choices about hardware and operating system that were completely appropriate at that time but very different from people who entered the market much later. RAAT makes assumptions about Operating System and available memory that match most of the market but are incompatible with earlier DSMs. Roon explored changing RAAT but concluded that the bespoke integration I mentioned above was more practical. It would be possible for later DSM models (everything released from Selekt DSM onwards) to run RAAT code so this may be a possibility in future. As an aside, this would offer another route to DSD256 support.

12 Likes