Roon downsampling

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Roon core running on latest generation i5 laptop with Windows 10
Latest Roon software

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Netgear Nighthawk r3000 router via wifi 200mbps when tested

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Cambridge Audio CNX V2 Streamer connected to router via ethernet
Musical Fidelity M3si amplifier
Monitor Audio Silver 300 speakers

Description Of Issue

Why when using DSP does Roon downsample everything to 48khz when my equipment is more than capable of handling much higher samping rates? It does this when using Qobuz and Tidal Hires music.

I want to get the best quality possible and Roon is actually reducing it which defeats the object.

Thanks in advance for your response.

Cambridge Audio only supports Airplay for Roon playback as it’s not Roon Ready. Airplay max resolution is 48/24 so that’s why it’s downscaling. Anything above will be down sampled. Using DSP Roon will upsample bitdepth to the highest it can and perform DSP then output back at the highest bitdepth the endpoint can take. It won’t change the sample rate unless you have told it to or its outside of the devices capabilities.

Thank you for your reply. I am not using Airplay, as I know that only supports up to 48khz. The original CXN wasn’t Roon capable, the V2 is (part of the reason I bought it) and I am using the chromecast built in to stream which does support the higher sampling rates.

It’s like Roon just copied and pasted the abilities of the original CXN for the V2’s settings without updating the V2’s capabilities within the software.

This is from the Cambridge Audio website:

Chromecast Built-In (only available on EDGE NQ & CXN v2)

EDGE NQ and CXN v2 are Roon Capable. This means if you own a smartphone or tablet and are using the Roon Remote app, you can Cast to play files up to 24Bit/96kHz wirelessly.

Same issue here though. Roon relies on the device to feedback it’s capabilities, not all ChromeCast do this correctly so it’s mireporting to Roon that it only supports up to 48/24. It’s the same for a lot of ChromeCast enabled devices including my Naim Atom, Google devices seem to do this correctly. Your not alone here as it crops up all the time @support this may be work getting the dev team to look at as it seems most ChromeCast enabled devices don’t follow the system your using to identify a devices capabilities.

Ah brilliant response, thank you. I guess I’ll keep an eye on it and hope they fix it then. It still sounds great, would just be nice to take full advantages of the hardware in every respect.

Cheers again.

1 Like

Many non-Google Chromecast devices improperly report their capabilities to Roon. The fix would have to come from the manufacturer. If Cambridge is advertising it to work, then you should contact them to verify everything is working.

See the following:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.