Roon dropping Linn DS from source list when desktop wakes up

Core on Windows desktop/64 bit/Roon V1.5 Build 571

Linn KDSM/wired ethernet to Plusnet router via a couple of Netgear switches/Desktop wired to same router.

Hi there. I’ve looked at a couple of similar posts but can’t find solution. I’ve posted my problem to one of those posts but no reply.

When Roon is opened on Desktop, KDSM shows as Roon tested source, whether KDSM is on or in standby mode. Other networked sources like Sonos and iPad also show. Problem is, as soon as Desktop is awoken from sleep mode, KDSM disappears from source list. Sonos and iPad continue to show. To get KDSM to show, I have to close and re-open Roon. KDSM never goes into sleep, just on or in standby.

KDSM goes through a Netgear switch in lounge and back into another Netgear switch in study where router is situated. Sonos and iPad wireless so that is an obvious difference.

I am currently half way through a trial and I like Roon and am happy to subscribe, but I can’t live with this behaviour and will not be subscribing if a solution can’t be found. I had wondered whether transferring the core to my NAS would solve this problem but would like some advice from you guys on this problem before experimenting.

If the solution is already out there could you point me in the right direction. Thanks very much.

1 Like

I am not sure Roon is happy returning from sleep mode in some instances. I think it is happier always on, or switched completely off when not used meaning each switch on does the full discovery thing. Switching to running Roon on a NAS could well fix this but depending on how powerful your desktop and NAS are relatively, you may see some performance degradation as the trade off.

Thanks Henry. I guess it’s happy with Sonos and iPad but not Linn? No way am I an expert in these things but it seems a software issue that ought to be rectifiable. I have a WD MyCloud NAS, off hand do you know a thread which shows me how to transfer the core.

I don’t think you can use a WD NAS it doesn’t have an x86 processor.

Thanks Ged. Looked at NQAP NAS with bells and whistles that Roon recommend. At over £1K, forget it. Hope support will respond within next 5 days.

Unfortunately this is a common problem with Roon and Linn devices. I run Roon on a Sonictransporter, which doesn’t go to sleep per se, so it always maintains the connection to my two Linn boxes (KDMS Katalyst and KDSM Renew), but if the Sonictransporter restarts for some reason (e.g. a power failure), it won’t recognize the Linn devices until I restart Roon again. It has no problem with an Auralic Aries Mini or an UltraRendu. I suspect it has something to do with these other devices being Roon Ready, whereas Linn is only Roon Tested - compatible but not fully integrated. It took a long time for Linn to open their system enough for Roon to work, but they have not fully adopted Roon’s RAAT system so this may continue to be a problem until Linn does that.

There are cheaper alternatives to the fully loaded QNAP: a SonicTransporter i5 from Small Green Computer will do the job well for US $895. I don’t know if they’re available in the UK though. The other alternative of course is to set your pc to not go to sleep - not very energy efficient, but if you can configure it to sleep the screen and stop the drives it shouldn’t be too bad.

In my experience, I own Linn Klimax DSM and Kiko, as well as a couple of other non-Linn systems, communication between Roon and Linn systems is a bit touchy, maybe because it does not use Roon’s RAAT client-server protocol but instead Linn’s own. I’ve had the Klimax system disappear from Roon a few times since I’ve had it (1 year), only solution was to reboot it. I run my Roon server on a fanless Intel NUC that does not go to sleep. However, I reboot it relatively often when I update its Ubuntu Server OS, and the two Linn systems show up consistently on restart.

I am using Roon with a couple of LINN Streamers and cannot recall it loosing connection once.
But I am using an “always on” setup (ROCK) which may make things easer.

So I dont think its the Linn protocol causing a problem, the waking up seems to cause issues.

Thanks all for your replies and experiences. It all makes sense. Not putting my Desktop to sleep gets around problem but I’m not on the PC all the time and I like the ability to save power/component wear. My Sonos 5 is not even listed as Roon ready/tested but it always shows after wake up ??? Maybe that uses RAAT protocol. What is ROCK? Is this a substitute for Core on my Desktop? Cheers.

ROCK is a Roon-packaged Linux distribution for the Intel NUC. The idea is to have the NUC as a kind of appliance running Roon Core and nothing else. I run my own Linux setup rather than ROCK because I’m very familiar with Linux, but I could have had ROCK on my fanless NUC instead.

That is probably using Airplay? Simpler but sonically limited.

Hi @Andre_Edmunds,

Thanks for reaching out!

I’ve passed this info on to our hardware team and I wanted to touch base with some good news, which is that our technical team has been able to reproduce this behavior and we’ve opened up a bug report with our developers.

While I can’t say for certain when this bug will be fixed, getting things reproduced in-house is a critical first step, and I will keep this thread up to date as the team passes along feedback and work begins to get this resolved. Thanks again for the report!

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.