Networking Gear & Setup Details

AirPort Extreme
Have tried connecting Mac Mini via Ethernet and Wifi with similar results

Connected Audio Devices

Two Bluesound NODE 2 and one Bluesound POWERNODE 2 connected via Wifi

Library Size

11,000 tracks stored on QNAP but primary music source is Qobuz

Description of Issue

Music is garbled and cuts out whether the Core is connected via ethernet to Apple AirPort Extreme or Wifi. Music plays fine when I just use the Bluesound devices without using Roon. Since I am having the issue whether I play from my library or from Qobuz you probably don’t need to know that my internet is Fios so I get very good internet performance.
The distance between the MacMini and the 3 Bluesound devices is not more than 30 feet max.

Hi John,

Not official support. The Apple Airport Extremes is mentioned in Roon’s Network Best Practices FAQ:

Applicable Excerpt from above FAQ here:

Finally, we strongly recommend against using Apple network devices such as the Apple Airport Extreme and Airport Express (note: it’s fine to use the Airport Express as an Airplay device). To ensure the best performance, we recommend against using these devices.

Hello @John_Cavner,

Thanks for choosing to let us know of the behavior you ran into - we’re sorry about that, and about the extremely delayed reply on our part :sweat:

Thanks to @Rugby for stepping in in the meantime :pray:

I was wondering if there’s anything we can help, albeit late?

I have upgraded my home network to Netgear Orbi Wifi 6. No other changes. I am getting an excellent signal thru out the house. My issue has gone from garbled sound to a fairly frequent ticking sound. It sounds like I am playing a turntable and have a scratch on the record.

Hello @John_Cavner,

Thank you very much for remembering to keep us in the loop :pray:

I’m very sorry things are still not looking up. Just to make sure, have you disabled IGMP Proxying on your router? If this setting is not disabled, it might interfere with Roon connecting to your devices.

Rebeka,

I have a Pace 5268AC router from AT&T and am unable to determine anything about IGMP Proxying. I know you don’t support AT&T routers but can you give me some advice on how I could determine how to disable it?

Thanks

John

Hi @John_Cavner,

Do you have both devices set up? The IGMP option Rebeka mentioned was specifically for the Orbi device.

Are you hearing this ticking for all endpoints? What if you play to System Output?