Roon DSP settings for Meridian MS200 and M6 speakers

Wondered if anyone is using Roon into a Meridian MS200 directly into a pair of M6 speakers, and if you are (other than RC settings) what DSP settings you use?

Moved it to meridian section.

Do you mean Roon or Meridian DSP settings?

Roon - I can’t remember how to get into MS200 but I remember config was limited. Has anyone played with DSP and Para Eq etc in Roon to bring the M6 to life?

I know rooms / correction etc are dependant just interested,

thanks
wasn’t sure where!

Meridian tone/tilt controls and enhanced boundary compensation, room height etc are pretty flexible for tuning. I think if you want to use DSP in Roon with any accuracy, then you might need to measure your room with REW and go from there. Whether that should be done with all your M6 settings in their default positions is hard to say. I’m not an expert with REW as I’ve never used it. Everyone says it’s relatively easy, but I haven’t used Roon DSP so far.

There is no such thing as a predefined setting for one type of speaker. Even identical speakers can sound very differently in a room where dimensions are slightly different, or when walls are of different material, … , secondly, and as moderator on room dimensions, the type of amplifier also can change the sound even more. This is why expensive speakers might sound like heaven in the store, but may sound like s**t in your living room.

To give you an example in annex you have 2 IR’s measured with REW all starting with the same input signal and exact the same input volume on the DAC.
2 x IR-tests of Klipsch Heresy-III assisted by 2 SVS-SB16 Ultra subs. the only difference was the end amplifier from the main channels. The rest all the same (Subs, input volume, room, distance, measurement point, angle … )

I suggest looking in to REW, it will take you a while to get into the specifics, and to get to know how to optimise sound in a specific room.
Here are some tips for starting measuring out the room.

• Buy a calibrated mini DSP Umik (85 dollar)
  • Download REW ( it is free ) and works perfectly with Roon DSP, as the DSP-WAV file can be imported into ROON
  • Measure your sound on the theoretical sweet spot.
  • Start playing with the EQ functionality in REW and test (a lot) of scenarios, and play with all kinds of EQ simulators and upload them into Roon.
  • Look for Fletcher-Munson sound (house)curves on the internet (Harman / JBL ones are free, and serve as a good basis you can modify) as they will help you to modify your filters according to the volume perception of frequencies of the human ear. These curves can be converted into structured text files, so the REW EQ-simulator can match the improvements as much as possible to the Fletcher Munson curve. (meanwhile sound decays and overkill will be corrected as well. )
  • Foresee “overhead dB’s” in ROON DSP, and make sure your required overhead in dB in REW-software is in the same area, as otherwise your sound will be clipped and distorted. ( between -3 to -4 would be OK)
  • On YouTube you can find some good tutorials on EQ and DSP settings
  • Look into the potential of investing in good “Bass traps” and “diffusors”

/Chrißt’ll

It is not difficult, but it will take some weeks. Good sound will take so time to create.
PS

2 Likes

Guess if you have weeks to do this, your lockdown is somewhat more restrictive than mine (and you’re not as busy at work as I am!!!)

Simpler version, plug my 861v8 into the M6 and run all the room correction software, then copy that across onto Roon DSP.

May not be quite as comprehensive but all done in under an hour and sounds pretty smashing to me!

Thanks though, very informative and interesting to learn more!

You are welcome, …

Room correction software is OK-isch, but then you are limited within the boundaries of a brand or a automated software, this way you don’t let your ears do the work. In my experience, the sound quickly sounds dry and dead. That is the reason I started to look into this in detail.

I don’t want to confine myself in preset boundaries set by others, I’d rather explore my own options.

:slight_smile: This is not something you do during lockdown, it is a process of learning, testing, adapting, and learning for over more then a year at interval times. (and btw I never stopped working during lockdown)

My time is also limited, like yours, …, I have two jobs (full + part time as independent) and a psychology study.

/ Chrißt’ll