Roon Endpoint/ bridge to replace RPi4b and Ropieee

Gooday, I live in the Philippines and recently my RPi4/Ropieee endpoint - bridge has been playing up, to the extent that it is a big hassle. It may be the local internet, software or hardware but I just need music 24/7, not when a green light flashes!

So, the Roon core is on my PC, ethernets to the bridge, bridge to a good DAC to amp and speakers. No need for wireless or cables, just a staright forward setup.

What Roon ready streamers are out there are you guys using? I’m not looking for highend as the thing is basically a passthrough to a DAC what what I’ve read.

If Harry reads this, I’m just covering bases as I can’t reflash every time there’s an update :slight_smile:

What connections types does your DAC support?

I might be tempted to suggest Wiim Pro or Wiim Pro Plus. However, they only support SP/DIF connection (Coax or optical) to a DAC.

https://roon.app/en/partners/186/wiim

Having said that, I don’t see any reason why an Rpi4 should not be the basis of a perfectly good Roon endpoint.

Hi, thanks for that. Regarding the RPi4, it is having connection problems that just won’t go away. I’m having to reflash on every new update and life is too short, LOL. It’s down to the internet - the local ISP, PLDT, has issues when downloading from europe. I have to use a VPN on my PC but my modem can’t connect to a Express VPN. Just a lot of hassle.

I’ve gone ahead and am waiting for a WiiM pro. I don’t know what is causing issues with the RPi4 and Ropieee in the Philippines (the ISP is now working OK) but too much hassle. I’ve reflashed 5 times and direct to PC is OK but networked a no go even though same kit for 3 years.

For my circumstances the Wiim’s price seems a nobrainer

Cheers.

The WiiM is working and while I can’t say it works better than the RPi, my Allo Shanti runs it and it trouble free.