Roon Endpoints disappearing from Roon and halting playback after latest software updates

Roon Core Machine

Mac Mini, Mojave 10.14.6, Roon Core 1.8 (913) ethernet to Cisco switch

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Cisco Switch, ASUS Router RT-AC88U Firmware (3.0.0.4.384_21045)

Connected Audio Devices

Roon Endpoints :

Ropieee Pi4 (4.017)
Auralic Aries G1 (8.1 firmware)

Denafrips Pontus DAC (tried 3.6 and 3.12 firmware)

Number of Tracks in Library

10,000 tracks

Description of Issue

My Roon endpoint keeps disappearing during playback. It was occurring every 20 minutes or so until I moved the USB interconnect between Ropiee and the Denafrips DAC from USB2.0 to USB3.0 now the playback is extended and the endpoint dropouts are appearing every 1 hour or so. This behaviour appeared after I upgraded Roon to 1.8 (913) a few weeks ago.

Playback is initiated though a Macbook.

I have tested the following combinations and resulting behaviours. The timing is a guesstimate of sorts.

Roon Core β†’ Wifi β†’ Ropiee Roon Endpoint β†’ USB β†’ Denafrips : 60 minutes playback fails
Roon Core β†’ Wifi β†’ Auralic G1 Roon Endpoint β†’ USB β†’ Denafrips : 60 minutes playback fails
Roon Core β†’ Wifi β†’ Auralic G1 Roon Endpoint β†’ AES β†’ Denafrips : 60 minutes minutes playback fails

Spotify β†’ Wifi β†’ Ropiee Spotify Endpoint β†’ USB β†’ Denafrips : OK and does not fail

Roon Core β†’ Wifi β†’ Roon Macbook β†’ USB β†’ Denafrips : OK

Mac Flac Files Shared via SMB β†’ Wifi β†’ MacBook β†’ VLC β†’ USB β†’ Denafrips : OK

Roon Core β†’ Wifi - Auralic G1 β†’ USB β†’ Aqua La Scala DAC : OK
Roon Core β†’ Wifi - Auralic G1 β†’ AES β†’ Aqua La Scala : OK
Roon Core β†’ Wired - Auralic G1 β†’ USB β†’ Aqua La Scala : OK
Roon Core β†’ Wired - Auralic G1 β†’ AES β†’ Aqua La Scala : OK

I’m seeing somewhat similar issues with Core running on iMac 2017 with macOS 11.6.4 – endpoints suddenly disappearing only to reappear in a 5-10 seconds. Happens even to the endpoint on that very same iMac, and have also noticed it on Ropiee as endpoint.

This is also relatively new issue for me, might very well coincide with the latest Core version, but can’t tell for 100% certainty.

1 Like

The plot thickens for me.

Roon Core β†’ WiFi β†’ Ropieee β†’ La Scala DAC no playback issues

Roon Core β†’ WiFi β†’ Aries G1 β†’ Pontus disconnects after 50 mins to an hour

Roon Core β†’ Wired Ethernet β†’ Aries G1-> Pontus No playback issues.

My issue seems to be the combination of WiFi and Pontus irrespective of the streamer choice.

There were some threads about the pontus being susceptible to usb cables. Have you tried swapping the connecting cables around?

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply Ged,

Yes I have tried two different cables both exhibit the same behaviour. The same cable was working fine until something changed…the only thing I can think of is the Roon update. I did see an improvement, less dropouts, when I moved from the USB2.0 to USB3.0 ports on the Pi. The same dropout behaviour also does not appear when Spotify is used through the same hardware.

Hi @Paul_Burgess ,

Are you still seeing this behavior at the present time? Is there any correlation between the file type or sample rate when the issue occurs? What happens if you try to temporarily use a fresh database, are you still able to reproduce? To perform this test:

• Create a Backup of your current database
  • Exit out of Roon
  • Navigate to your Roon Database Location
  • Find the folder that says β€œRoon”
  • Rename the β€œRoon” folder to β€œRoon_old”
  • Reinstall the Roon App from our Downloads Page to generate a new Roon folder
  • Verify if the issue persists on a fresh database before restoring the backup

Hi Noris,

Yes the behaviour still exists.

I’ll try your plan however I am not seeing this behaviour in another setup I have which uses the same core.

Cheers

Paul

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.