Roon Essentials won't allow Tidal login - Bad username or password

Elac/Roon should have fixed this login problem first. Then do whatever updates they wanted to do. Not be able to listen to music and pay for Tidal Hifi is frustrating for me. This is not acceptable.

Roon Essentials is still at version 1.3, while Roon is at version 1.7. The codebase will have changed substantially in all probability, so adding in the new Tidal Login is not a simple process. It will take time and testing.

It also sounds as though Roon Essentials users will be getting an upgrade in features out of this. This could be thought of as recompense for the temporary frustration?

1 Like

It doesn’t sound like a workaround could be found any more easily and I think if Roon Essentials is effectively getting upgraded to Roon v1.6 as a fix that seems a good result (assuming the HW/Processor in the Discovery isn’t unduly burdened) .I’m not sure what features I would benefit from in v1.6 but I expect support of more recent versions is probably easier/better?

Some or all of this I guess.

1 Like

Sounds like a lot but not sure I would use much of it. I guess Roon would have added more vendor/device support to its database since v1.3 so that might be useful as I don’t remember v1.3 seeing chromecast devices as players/endpoints only Airplay? UI improvements always useful and Radio might be good if I understand it correctly. I expect the Qobuz addition might be good for some too. Wonder if all that DSP stuff might put a strain on the Discovery though?

Geoff -

Just for my curiosity, the Roon software in Elac’s DDP-2 is ‘Essentials’ or a RoonBridge that would be updated via Roon’s regular version update process?

Slim - I don’t know how firmware upgrades for the Roon Endpoint function are done. I just note that in the user manual for the DDP-2, it says:

FIRMWARE UPDATES
To check for or perform a firmware update please navigate to the About Page and write down the IP address for the DDP-2 (Please note that the DDP-2 must be connected to your home network to perform a firmware update).
Enter the IP address for the DDP-2 into a web browser on your home computer or tablet and select firmware update.

That would seem to imply that it is different to Roon’s regular version update process.

1 Like

So, like Elac’s Discovery, probably dependent on Elac’s somewhat spotty support.

Too bad.

There’s always the possibility that upgrading to 1.6 was considered to be easier than backporting a Tidal fix on 1.3. Software companies have been known not to be in favor of maintaining multiple code bases.

Disclaimer: this is is not me taking any sides, just listing some possbilities.

1 Like

Exactly.
/10char

It’s an ‘Elac’ problem, see the below message on the Elac support page. Tidal is also not cooperative in helping.

Thank you for your mail and sorry for the inconvenience.
There’s a problem with Tidal running on the Discovery at the moment. Right now our R&D team is working hard on fixing the issue as soon as possible. Please be patient for some time. We hope for a rollout in the next week…

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Thorsten Behrens-Brecht

Leitung IT / TK

ELAC Electroacustic GmbH
Fraunhoferstr. 16
24118 Kiel

T: +49 (431) - 64774-52
F: +49 (431) - 682101
E: tbehrens@elac.de

The IP adress of my Elac DS-S101-G is 192.168.68.115. After choosing this in the webbrowser, I cannot see the choice updating the software. The choices are: Diagnostics information and LED always off (submitting this works fine). The current version of Roon Essentials is 1.3. How can I update?
You’ll understand: I’m not happy with the Tidal issue :triumph:

My reply to Slim was for the DDP-2 - not the DS-S101-G. And I was only quoting Elac’s manual - I have no Elac products myself.

Hi Dirk, the update isn’t out yet. My guess is it’ll either be an automatic download by the Discovery or a manual install using the USB port.
Hopefully not much longer to wait now.

Thx. I hope it will work very soon on my Elac. I need to know when it’s ready and how it will be installed, automatic or manually. Tidal’s quality is important for my music.

I contacted ELAC Support this morning and below is the conversation that started on : Monday, June 15, 2020, at 15:05 (GMT+0)

Hi everyone,

First, I wanted to thank you for your patience as we’ve worked with the Elac team to get this issue resolved. There were some unexpected, unfortunate delays that resulted in this taking a bit longer than we had hoped to resolve, but we are happy to announce that the update which addresses this issue is now live!

Besides a solution to the issue mentioned in this thread, we’ve also worked with Elac to include a number of new features that will improve the overall experience of Roon Essentials. You can read more about this here.

Moving forward, we will be unlisting this thread from the site, as is standard with all Roon Essentials posts. Elac will continue to support Roon Essentials as they always have, but we wanted to keep this thread open while the issue was ongoing so everyone could see the latest updates.

In the future, you can always reach out to Elac here.

Once again we just want to thank you for your patience as we’ve worked with the team at Elac to get this resolved.

Happy listening :headphones:
The Roon Team

2 Likes

@dylan,
Hmm I opened the Roon app and it says there is an update, but after clicking Connect it states that I have the latest version installed?
But I have 1.3 on my Core, but on the same line it writes I got 1.7 build 57?

Anyone got the same problem?

Looks like Roon Essentials 1.7 is working for me. I previously was on version 1.5. Very smooth update. Tidal is back and I like the new Live Radio feature. Good job Roon and Elac.

Thanks