Roon Extension and Android App: it'roXs!

@Boris_Schaedler it Works (since 3 days) for me.

@ComasSky :sunglasses:
Do you still get these NetworkErrors?

@ComasSky
The docker image from the ‘wrapper’ branch is not needed anymore, I merged this into master.

Ok, i will remove this tag.

No network error since 3 days :slight_smile:

Good morning,

Anybody already using Android 11 with the new media tray in the notification area? Could you please send me a screenshot what it looks like on your phone? I have to adjust things a little bit, so it would be helpful to have some screenshots other than from my Pixel phone:

Thanks!

Works great here and really enjoying it from the tray (from my OnePlus 8)

Regards

Mike

It appears in Google’s infinite wisdom I can no longer take a screen grab of this due to how its now done on the pixel 4.

Power + Vol Down should do it…

That’s a bit fiddly wish they would not change it every version.

Thanks @Michael_Harris and @CrystalGipsy
One thing I don’t like with this new notification style: I cannot display the zone name in the very top text line anymore, this was possible with Android 10 :confused:
I released an app update today with some minor Android 11 adjustments and fixes, and moved the zone name to the second line after the artist. I’m still looking for a better way to display the zone name…

1 Like

This must have happened when the extension connects to the core (port 9100 is used by roon), but unfortunately this is not part of my code, so I cannot directly fix this. But my approach to just restart the extension in such cases should help.
Any other issues or is everything running stable until now?

Yes I can see a couple of things but it is still nice to have that in one notification. I click on it if I want to change the volume or change the zone.

Mike

Boris I downloaded the update earlier but did not but not notice the subtle difference until I read your statement and then did a double take.

BTW I think part of the problem with your app crashing turned out to be the Pi running very hot. I have told it to run much lower powered now and ordered a couple of heat sinks for it to keep it even cooler.

Regards

Mike

Hi Boris having it on that line means its off screen with a long artist name.

Yes I know… I’m already looking for another possibility…

1 Like

Boris my heat sinks and fan arrived yesterday and running cooler seems to be really appreciated by it’roXs! as everything made it through the night working perfectly and I was able to start the last song playing last night through the notification panel (perfect).

If you want anyone to test new versions let me know as I will be setting up another Pi for a bit of tinkering

Regards

Mike

Thanks @Michael_Harris

It would be interesting to know why your Pi runs hot, did you have a look at the cpu or which process causes the cpu load?

I setup a Pi last week, DietPi with ExentsionManager and it’roXs, and I have it running now for several days without any issues or heat problems.

Any idea what causes your heat problem?

Boris there did not seem to be much going on, and at first I assumed that my power brick was pushing too much power in and causing overheating, but I opened the case and used an official Pi charger and case but it was still getting hot and going between 56 and 64 ish.

Since I put the new case in last night it is down at around 36 (with small fan and heatsinks) and was fully stable overnight. Not sure how much the Pi required heatsinks and a fan, as I have never used them with any the older ones I had, but this board was very hot before I made the changes

Regards

Mike

If it’s a Pi4 they are essential it runs really hot. After adding a flirc case to mine which acts as a large heatsink it reduced the operating temp massively.

Thanks Simon
Doing that has fixed the problem for me and everything has been rock solid since I added the fan and heatsinks. It’s a pity that the official Raspberry Pi kit ships without them as it gives the wrong impression.

Currently sitting at a nice cool 36C and even when I put another Pi on top and blocked the vents it only went up to about 43C. I may end up installing extension manager on a Pi 3 as I want to tuck it away out of sight, so it will stop it getting hot (but who knows, always seems effort to replace something that is working reliably :wink:

Thanks for the reply.

Regards

Mike