Roon Extension: Art Scraper

The Art Scraper is a small tool to create thumbnails from the albums and artists in your Roon library. It uses a fixed thumbnail size:

Type Thumbnail size
Artist 300x250 pixels
Album 250x250 pixels

Usage

Open the Settings of the extension, select the thumbnail type and press save.

art-scraper

Background

I created this extension to generate input images for the creation of Album Cover Mosaics. More info can be found in this thread:

If you have a use case that requires a different thumbnail size, native image resolution or something else, let me know.

Installation

The extension can be installed via the Extension Manager. First update the Extension Repository to version 0.3.8. After that the Art Scraper can be found in the Tools category.

5 Likes

@Jan_Koudijs, I’m probably missing something really obvious, but where can I find the thumbnails after they’ve been scraped by Art Scraper? I’m using a Mac.

They end up in the art subfolder at the extension installation location.

Thanks. I was searching for a visible folder - didn’t think to check the hidden extension folders.

Hi, Jan

my roon server on qnap nas and the roon extension manager installed on a windows lapton. Where could I find the thumbnails when Art Scarper completes it work? Thank you.

You should find the thumbnails at the following location:

%appData%\RoonExtensions\node_modules\roon-extension-art-scraper\art

Thank you Jan.

I only found 6 thumbnails at the location. Don’t know if that’s because I was using the V0.5.3.

Encouraged by the art mosaic shared by you, I decided to give it a try for the dietpi route even though I don’t have enough knowledge about it. Thanks to your guide, I had the roon extensions shown on my roon settings. The same question, where could I find the thumbnails after the art scraper completes?
Roon Core on Qnap NAS, dietpi run in virtualbox in windows pc.

John

When using Extension Manager 1.0 it works a bit different. When you are at the DietPi prompt in Virtualbox you give the following two commands:

mkdir art

chmod 777 art/

Then you open the Extension Manager on your Roon remote and select Art Scraper. If you now select the Update action you can set the Local Art Share, here you enter the path you just created (if you logged in as root it will be /root/art), then you Save.

If you now use the Art Scraper to generate the thumbnails you should find the result in /root/art.