Roon Extension: CD Ripper v0.6.1 (2022-12-24)

sorry for the confusion. Started new topic on ROCK CD Ripper performance.

Only on Rock or Linux system, none on Roon server Win10 ?

Iā€™ve a problem with my bluray device: when i launch the drive configuration, after a lot of attempts with differents offset displayed, the result is ā€œDrive offset canā€™t be determinated, try another discā€.
Ok, this in a problem not of the extension in particular (dbpoweramp show me similar popup) but i canā€™t find information nowhere.
Suggestion? Iā€™ve to change the device?
On Accuraterip the device is ā€œpurgedā€ :face_with_raised_eyebrow:
http://www.accuraterip.com/driveoffsets.htm
ASUS - SBW-06D2X-U [Purged]

I havenā€™t come across any purged drives before, so I had to look up the meaning (itā€™s at the top of the page you linked):

A small number of drives have [Purged] as the offset, these drives were found not to have a constant drive offset (perhaps different manufacturing batches, or firmwares), as such they have been removed from AccurateRipā€™s drive database (should you have one of these drives, 3 matching key disks will be required to configure AccurateRip).

So it might be necessary to perform the disk configuration on three different CDs to convince the underlying software that the offset is constant. I suggest to check the extension log to see if there is any hint about this in it (the status message is pretty generic). You get the log with the Docker command:

docker logs roon-extension-cd-ripper

The error message is probably somewhere at the end of the log. If you search for the status message and copy some lines above and below it then I can also have a look.

Unfortunately Linux only, Docker for Windows canā€™t be used due to the virtual networking it uses that isnā€™t supported by Roon.

But there are different types of Linux systems:

• Linux desktop or laptop PC
  • Single board computer running DietPi, e.g. Raspberry Pi
  • Small Green Computerā€™s sonicTransporter

stdout: "Analyzing drive caching behaviour 0 %" -> CONTINUE 1 Changed {"message":"Analyzing drive caching behaviour 0 %","is_error":false} -> CONTINUE 1 Changed {"message":"Analyzing drive caching behaviour 0 %","is_error":false} stdout: "Analyzing drive caching behaviour 100 %" -> CONTINUE 1 Changed {"message":"Analyzing drive caching behaviour 100 %","is_error":false} -> CONTINUE 1 Changed {"message":"Analyzing drive caching behaviour 100 %","is_error":false} stdout: "Analyzing drive caching behaviour 100 %" -> CONTINUE 1 Changed {"message":"Analyzing drive caching behaviour 100 %","is_error":false} -> CONTINUE 1 Changed {"message":"Analyzing drive caching behaviour 100 %","is_error":false} stderr: "INFO:whipper.command.drive:cdparanoia can defeat the audio cache on this drive" stderr: "INFO:whipper.command.drive:adding drive cache behaviour to configuration file" stdout: "" whipper exited with code: 0 stderr: "INFO:whipper.command.offset:checking device /dev/cdrom" stderr: "eject: CD-ROM tray close command failed: Input/output error" stderr: "ERROR:whipper.common.accurip:error retrieving AccurateRip entry: ConnectionError(MaxRetryError("HTTPConnectionPool(host='www.accuraterip.com', port=80): Max retries exceeded with url: /accuraterip/4/3/f/dBAR-007-000dcf34-0050a303-520b7d07.bin (Caused by NewConnectionError('<urllib3.connection.HTTPConnection object at 0x7f015641c810>: Failed to establish a new connection: [Errno -3] Temporary failure in name resolution',))",),)" -> CONTINUE 1 Changed {"message":"Drive offset can't be determined, try another disc","is_error":true} -> CONTINUE 1 Changed {"message":"Drive offset can't be determined, try another disc","is_error":true} stderr: "WARNING:whipper.common.accurip:entry not found in AccurateRip database WARNING:whipper.command.offset:AccurateRip entry not found: drive offset can't be determined, try again with another disc" whipper exited with code: 0

WARNING:whipper.common.accurip:entry not found in AccurateRip database

If you try with a different CD and get this same message then I guess you have to try with a different drive :slightly_frowning_face:

There is also a connection error when it tries to download a file: http://www.accuraterip.com/accuraterip/4/3/f/dBAR-007-000dcf34-0050a303-520b7d07.bin. This file exists. Can it be an internet access issue?

A new device is in on the way. For my rips with the notebook i use an old Liteon device (perfect for cd that have problems) but itā€™s ugly close other hi-fi stuff :sweat_smile:
So iā€™ve tested my other bluray slim unit (nice :smiley: ) with this results :roll_eyes:

My connection work fine, how i can investigate this error?

Have you tried the extension with this drive? (assuming it is external). A drive from the CD/DVD era has a good chance of being well supported. I use the same approach with my Plextor drive from the thrift store.

This might also give a hint about the meaning of the connection error.

No, i can try today.
Today also will arrive the new device, so iā€™ll test both and iā€™ll let you know the results

Ok , iā€™ve tested the new device (succesfully tried on dbpoweramp) but same errorsā€¦
I think the problem is ā€œwhipperā€

stdout: "Analyzing drive caching behaviour 0 %" -> CONTINUE 1 Changed {"message":"Analyzing drive caching behaviour 0 %","is_error":false} -> CONTINUE 1 Changed {"message":"Analyzing drive caching behaviour 0 %","is_error":false} stdout: "Analyzing drive caching behaviour 100 %" -> CONTINUE 1 Changed {"message":"Analyzing drive caching behaviour 100 %","is_error":false} -> CONTINUE 1 Changed {"message":"Analyzing drive caching behaviour 100 %","is_error":false} stdout: "Analyzing drive caching behaviour 100 %" -> CONTINUE 1 Changed {"message":"Analyzing drive caching behaviour 100 %","is_error":false} -> CONTINUE 1 Changed {"message":"Analyzing drive caching behaviour 100 %","is_error":false} stderr: "INFO:whipper.command.drive:cdparanoia can defeat the audio cache on this drive" stderr: "INFO:whipper.command.drive:adding drive cache behaviour to configuration file" stdout: "" whipper exited with code: 0 stderr: "INFO:whipper.command.offset:checking device /dev/cdrom" stderr: "**ERROR:whipper.common.accurip:error retrieving AccurateRip entry:** ConnectionError(MaxRetryError("HTTPConnectionPool(host='www.accuraterip.com', port=80): Max retries exceeded with url: /accuraterip/2/b/4/dBAR-015-002ad4b2-01e6ff46-da120f0f.bin (Caused by NewConnectionError('<urllib3.connection.HTTPConnection object at 0x7f08f6b94a50>: Failed to establish a new connection: [Errno -3] Temporary failure in name resolution',))",),)" -> CONTINUE 1 Changed {"message":"Drive offset can't be determined, try another disc","is_error":true} -> CONTINUE 1 Changed {"message":"Drive offset can't be determined, try another disc","is_error":true} stderr: "WARNING:whipper.common.accurip:entry not found in AccurateRip database WARNING:whipper.command.offset:AccurateRip entry not found: drive offset can't be determined, try again with another disc" whipper exited with code: 0

Can you do a quick check regarding the connection issue?

Open a console on the container:

docker exec -it roon-extension-cd-ripper bash

And then download the specified file:

curl -O http://www.accuraterip.com/accuraterip/4/3/f/dBAR-007-000dcf34-0050a303-520b7d07.bin

Does it download?

You already tried with different CDs, right?

Ok, it work. And iā€™ve successfully setted the offset. Butā€¦
First tentative ripping:

<- REQUEST 10228 com.roonlabs.settings:1/subscribe_settings {"subscription_key":"46"} -> CONTINUE 10228 Subscribed {"settings":{"values":{"share":"~/media/music_2/"},"layout":[{"type":"group","title":"Global Settings","items":[{"type":"string","title":"Share","setting":"share"}]},{"type":"dropdown","title":"Action","values":[{"title":"(select action)"},{"title":"Rip","value":3},{"title":"Rip & Push","value":4}],"setting":"action"}],"has_error":false}} <- REQUEST 10231 com.roonlabs.settings:1/save_settings {"settings":{"values":{"share":"~/media/music_2/"}},"is_dry_run":true} -> COMPLETE 10231 Success {"settings":{"values":{"share":"~/media/music_2/"},"layout":[{"type":"group","title":"Global Settings","items":[{"type":"string","title":"Share","setting":"share"}]},{"type":"dropdown","title":"Action","values":[{"title":"(select action)"},{"title":"Rip","value":3},{"title":"Rip & Push","value":4}],"setting":"action"}],"has_error":false}} <- REQUEST 10234 com.roonlabs.settings:1/save_settings {"settings":{"values":{"share":"~/media/music_2/","action":4}},"is_dry_run":true} -> COMPLETE 10234 Success {"settings":{"values":{"share":"~/media/music_2/","action":4},"layout":[{"type":"group","title":"Global Settings","items":[{"type":"string","title":"Share","setting":"share"}]},{"type":"dropdown","title":"Action","values":[{"title":"(select action)"},{"title":"Rip","value":3},{"title":"Rip & Push","value":4}],"setting":"action"}],"has_error":false}} <- REQUEST 10236 com.roonlabs.settings:1/save_settings {"settings":{"values":{"share":"~/media/music_2/","action":4}},"is_dry_run":true} -> COMPLETE 10236 Success {"settings":{"values":{"share":"~/media/music_2/","action":4},"layout":[{"type":"group","title":"Global Settings","items":[{"type":"string","title":"Share","setting":"share"}]},{"type":"dropdown","title":"Action","values":[{"title":"(select action)"},{"title":"Rip","value":3},{"title":"Rip & Push","value":4}],"setting":"action"}],"has_error":false}} <- REQUEST 10238 com.roonlabs.settings:1/save_settings {"settings":{"values":{"share":"~/media/music_2/","action":4}},"is_dry_run":false} -> COMPLETE 10238 Success {"settings":{"values":{"share":"~/media/music_2/","action":4},"layout":[{"type":"group","title":"Global Settings","items":[{"type":"string","title":"Share","setting":"share"}]},{"type":"dropdown","title":"Action","values":[{"title":"(select action)"},{"title":"Rip","value":3},{"title":"Rip & Push","value":4}],"setting":"action"}],"has_error":false}} -> CONTINUE 1 Changed {"message":"CD Ripping in preparation...","is_error":false} -> CONTINUE 10228 Changed {"settings":{"values":{"share":"~/media/music_2/"},"layout":[{"type":"group","title":"Global Settings","items":[{"type":"string","title":"Share","setting":"share"}]},{"type":"dropdown","title":"Action","values":[{"title":"(select action)"},{"title":"Rip","value":3},{"title":"Rip & Push","value":4}],"setting":"action"}],"has_error":false}} <- REQUEST 10239 com.roonlabs.settings:1/unsubscribe_settings {"subscription_key":"46"} -> COMPLETE 10239 Unsubscribed stderr: "INFO:whipper.command.cd:using configured read offset 6" stderr: "INFO:whipper.command.cd:checking device /dev/cdrom" stderr: "INFO:whipper.command.cd:reading TOC..." stderr: "WARNING:whipper.common.program:release not found: (NotFoundException(ResponseError(),),)" stderr: "WARNING:whipper.common.program:continuing without metadata" stderr: "INFO:whipper.command.cd:FreeDB identifies disc as [u'Magic Pie / Circus Of Life']" stderr: "CRITICAL:whipper.command.cd:unable to retrieve disc metadata, --unknown argument not passed" -> CONTINUE 1 Changed {"message":"unable to retrieve disc metadata, --unknown argument not passed","is_error":true} stdout: "CDDB disc id: 500f0b07 MusicBrainz disc id kvO924r_eWW9ND3ALCiM7D8XXl4- MusicBrainz lookup URL https://musicbrainz.org/cdtoc/attach?toc=1+7+288980+150+15435+43521+79843+178144+205694+246163&tracks=7&id=kvO924r_eWW9ND3ALCiM7D8XXl4- Disc duration: 01:04:11.066, 7 audio tracks Submit this disc to MusicBrainz at the above URL." whipper exited with code: 255

Do you know what made it work?

Whipper uses MusicBrainz to get the metadata, for the disk you try to rip no metadata is available. The purpose of the CD Ripper is to rip a CD and push the result to your library in a single run. For this reason I decided to do nothing when there is no metadata available. The alternative is to rip the disk and move it to your library without metadata, but then Roon will probably not identify it and you end up with an unidentified album. Iā€™m not a fan of this approach.

How do you look at this? I could add an option to even rip when there is no metadata available.

Iā€™ve tried with 5 different CDs. With this one Boston the device successfully configurated

stdout: "Read offset of device is: 6."
-> CONTINUE 1 Changed {"message":"Read offset of device is: 6.","is_error":false}
-> CONTINUE 1 Changed {"message":"Read offset of device is: 6.","is_error":false}
whipper exited with code: 0
-> CONTINUE 1 Changed {"message":"Drive configuration successful!","is_error":false}
-> CONTINUE 1 Changed {"message":"Drive configuration successful!","is_error":false}

The previous test ripping faild for metadata missing. I can understanding your point of view about no metadata available but i think is better give an option (preferably at setting level so you can choose one time and not for every rip). For example i buy a lot of new albums or minor albums without relative release in musicbrainz.In this cases i add manually the entry on musicbrainz but not immediately (a couple of hours, a dayā€¦) but i prefer have the album folder available in Roon (also with ā€œtrack 1, track 2 ā€¦ā€ and nothing else) and ready when Roon will recognize the new release or for the tag editor process that iā€™ll do.

Iā€™ve performed a second ripping test with a bad result:
in this case the metadata are available (my release is this one )

https://musicbrainz.org/cdtoc/4LiXYTpkuzFaxsh8nHzsIKno26M-

<- REQUEST 1019 com.roonlabs.settings:1/subscribe_settings {"subscription_key":"13"}
-> CONTINUE 1019 Subscribed {"settings":{"values":{"share":"~/media/music_2/"},"layout":[{"type":"group","title":"Global Settings","items":[{"type":"string","title":"Share","setting":"share"}]},{"type":"dropdown","title":"Action","values":[{"title":"(select action)"},{"title":"Rip","value":3},{"title":"Rip & Push","value":4}],"setting":"action"}],"has_error":false}}
-> REQUEST 0 com.roonlabs.registry:1/info
<- COMPLETE 0 Success {"core_id":"188e1010-6d8a-420d-952a-8ca428d11515","display_name":"DESKTOP-54G1987","display_version":"1.6 (build 416) stable"}
-> REQUEST 1 com.roonlabs.registry:1/register {"extension_id":"com.theappgineer.cd-ripper","display_name":"CD Ripper","display_version":"0.3.0","publisher":"The Appgineer","email":"theappgineer@gmail.com","required_services":[],"optional_services":[],"provided_services":["com.roonlabs.settings:1","com.roonlabs.status:1","com.roonlabs.pairing:1","com.roonlabs.ping:1"],"website":"https://community.roonlabs.com/t/roon-extension-cd-ripper/66590","token":"75919df3-4d02-4ace-b3a6-f29caf19e4b1"}
<- CONTINUE 1 Registered {"core_id":"188e1010-6d8a-420d-952a-8ca428d11515","display_name":"DESKTOP-54G1987","display_version":"1.6 (build 416) stable","token":"75919df3-4d02-4ace-b3a6-f29caf19e4b1","provided_services":[],"http_port":9100}
<- REQUEST 1 com.roonlabs.status:1/subscribe_status {"subscription_key":"3"}
-> CONTINUE 1 Subscribed {"message":"unable to retrieve disc metadata, --unknown argument not passed","is_error":true}
<- REQUEST 2 com.roonlabs.pairing:1/subscribe_pairing {"subscription_key":"4"}
-> CONTINUE 2 Subscribed {"paired_core_id":"65b91824-c76c-4371-bdc3-727f882954e3"}
<- REQUEST 1030 com.roonlabs.settings:1/subscribe_settings {"subscription_key":"14"}
-> CONTINUE 1030 Subscribed {"settings":{"values":{"share":"~/media/music_2/"},"layout":[{"type":"group","title":"Global Settings","items":[{"type":"string","title":"Share","setting":"share"}]},{"type":"dropdown","title":"Action","values":[{"title":"(select action)"},{"title":"Rip","value":3},{"title":"Rip & Push","value":4}],"setting":"action"}],"has_error":false}}
<- REQUEST 1033 com.roonlabs.settings:1/save_settings {"settings":{"values":{"share":"~/media/music_2/","action":4}},"is_dry_run":true}
-> COMPLETE 1033 Success {"settings":{"values":{"share":"~/media/music_2/","action":4},"layout":[{"type":"group","title":"Global Settings","items":[{"type":"string","title":"Share","setting":"share"}]},{"type":"dropdown","title":"Action","values":[{"title":"(select action)"},{"title":"Rip","value":3},{"title":"Rip & Push","value":4}],"setting":"action"}],"has_error":false}}
<- REQUEST 1035 com.roonlabs.settings:1/save_settings {"settings":{"values":{"share":"~/media/music_2/","action":4}},"is_dry_run":false}
-> COMPLETE 1035 Success {"settings":{"values":{"share":"~/media/music_2/","action":4},"layout":[{"type":"group","title":"Global Settings","items":[{"type":"string","title":"Share","setting":"share"}]},{"type":"dropdown","title":"Action","values":[{"title":"(select action)"},{"title":"Rip","value":3},{"title":"Rip & Push","value":4}],"setting":"action"}],"has_error":false}}
-> CONTINUE 1 Changed {"message":"CD Ripping in preparation...","is_error":false}
-> CONTINUE 1 Changed {"message":"CD Ripping in preparation...","is_error":false}
-> CONTINUE 1019 Changed {"settings":{"values":{"share":"~/media/music_2/"},"layout":[{"type":"group","title":"Global Settings","items":[{"type":"string","title":"Share","setting":"share"}]},{"type":"dropdown","title":"Action","values":[{"title":"(select action)"},{"title":"Rip","value":3},{"title":"Rip & Push","value":4}],"setting":"action"}],"has_error":false}}
-> CONTINUE 1030 Changed {"settings":{"values":{"share":"~/media/music_2/"},"layout":[{"type":"group","title":"Global Settings","items":[{"type":"string","title":"Share","setting":"share"}]},{"type":"dropdown","title":"Action","values":[{"title":"(select action)"},{"title":"Rip","value":3},{"title":"Rip & Push","value":4}],"setting":"action"}],"has_error":false}}
<- REQUEST 1036 com.roonlabs.settings:1/unsubscribe_settings {"subscription_key":"14"}
-> COMPLETE 1036 Unsubscribed
stderr: "INFO:whipper.command.cd:using configured read offset 6"
stderr: "INFO:whipper.command.cd:checking device /dev/cdrom"
stderr: "INFO:whipper.command.cd:reading TOC..."
stderr: "WARNING:whipper.common.program:network error: (NetworkError(),)"
stderr: "WARNING:whipper.common.program:continuing without metadata"
stderr: "WARNING:whipper.common.program:CDDB protocol error: <urlopen error [Errno -3] Temporary failure in name resolution>"
stderr: "CRITICAL:whipper.command.cd:unable to retrieve disc metadata, --unknown argument not passed"
-> CONTINUE 1 Changed {"message":"unable to retrieve disc metadata, --unknown argument not passed","is_error":true}
-> CONTINUE 1 Changed {"message":"unable to retrieve disc metadata, --unknown argument not passed","is_error":true}
stdout: "CDDB disc id: da120f0f
MusicBrainz disc id 4LiXYTpkuzFaxsh8nHzsIKno26M-
MusicBrainz lookup URL https://musicbrainz.org/cdtoc/attach?toc=1+15+346885+150+19002+44852+65827+92330+115407+142307+159127+188752+214272+238197+261957+287577+307630+325090&tracks=15&id=4LiXYTpkuzFaxsh8nHzsIKno26M-
Disc duration: 01:17:03.133, 15 audio tracks
Submit this disc to MusicBrainz at the above URL."
whipper exited with code: 255

sorry for all this help request (and for my english :smiley: ), but i think that this extension can be great and really usefull :wink:

EDIT:
same issue for Boston album

<- REQUEST 1943 com.roonlabs.settings:1/subscribe_settings {"subscription_key":"21"}
-> CONTINUE 1943 Subscribed {"settings":{"values":{"share":"~/media/music_2/"},"layout":[{"type":"group","title":"Global Settings","items":[{"type":"string","title":"Share","setting":"share"}]},{"type":"dropdown","title":"Action","values":[{"title":"(select action)"},{"title":"Rip","value":3},{"title":"Rip & Push","value":4}],"setting":"action"}],"has_error":false}}
<- REQUEST 1945 com.roonlabs.settings:1/save_settings {"settings":{"values":{"share":"~/media/music_2/","action":4}},"is_dry_run":true}
-> COMPLETE 1945 Success {"settings":{"values":{"share":"~/media/music_2/","action":4},"layout":[{"type":"group","title":"Global Settings","items":[{"type":"string","title":"Share","setting":"share"}]},{"type":"dropdown","title":"Action","values":[{"title":"(select action)"},{"title":"Rip","value":3},{"title":"Rip & Push","value":4}],"setting":"action"}],"has_error":false}}
<- REQUEST 1947 com.roonlabs.settings:1/save_settings {"settings":{"values":{"share":"~/media/music_2/","action":4}},"is_dry_run":false}
-> COMPLETE 1947 Success {"settings":{"values":{"share":"~/media/music_2/","action":4},"layout":[{"type":"group","title":"Global Settings","items":[{"type":"string","title":"Share","setting":"share"}]},{"type":"dropdown","title":"Action","values":[{"title":"(select action)"},{"title":"Rip","value":3},{"title":"Rip & Push","value":4}],"setting":"action"}],"has_error":false}}
-> CONTINUE 1019 Changed {"settings":{"values":{"share":"~/media/music_2/"},"layout":[{"type":"group","title":"Global Settings","items":[{"type":"string","title":"Share","setting":"share"}]},{"type":"dropdown","title":"Action","values":[{"title":"(select action)"},{"title":"Rip","value":3},{"title":"Rip & Push","value":4}],"setting":"action"}],"has_error":false}}
-> CONTINUE 1943 Changed {"settings":{"values":{"share":"~/media/music_2/"},"layout":[{"type":"group","title":"Global Settings","items":[{"type":"string","title":"Share","setting":"share"}]},{"type":"dropdown","title":"Action","values":[{"title":"(select action)"},{"title":"Rip","value":3},{"title":"Rip & Push","value":4}],"setting":"action"}],"has_error":false}}
<- REQUEST 1948 com.roonlabs.settings:1/unsubscribe_settings {"subscription_key":"21"}
-> COMPLETE 1948 Unsubscribed
stderr: "INFO:whipper.command.cd:using configured read offset 6"
stderr: "INFO:whipper.command.cd:checking device /dev/cdrom"
stderr: "INFO:whipper.command.cd:reading TOC..."
stderr: "WARNING:whipper.common.program:network error: (NetworkError(),)"
stderr: "WARNING:whipper.common.program:continuing without metadata"
stderr: "WARNING:whipper.common.program:CDDB protocol error: <urlopen error [Errno -3] Temporary failure in name resolution>"
stderr: "CRITICAL:whipper.command.cd:unable to retrieve disc metadata, --unknown argument not passed"
stdout: "CDDB disc id: 6b08d808
MusicBrainz disc id Y1MqTFR_zUvb6EiIYS9Tni7.ytI-
MusicBrainz lookup URL https://musicbrainz.org/cdtoc/attach?toc=1+8+169981+150+21535+44304+79377+92903+112507+131387+148480&tracks=8&id=Y1MqTFR_zUvb6EiIYS9Tni7.ytI-
Disc duration: 00:37:44.413, 8 audio tracks
Submit this disc to MusicBrainz at the above URL."
whipper exited with code: 255

I happen to have the exact same CD (same release). I am now ripping it on my NUC running Arch Linux (metadata was found). When finished I will also rip it on a Raspberry Pi. This is a good reference CD for the moment (although ripping is slow for me, it might be a bit scratched).

You are running Ubuntu, right? On what hardware?

Your log again shows a network error, I donā€™t know what is going on there.

Ubuntu server 18.04 on a self-made server hd plex (asus strix mini itx, m. 2 and ssd for storage).
Network error probably is for a bad whipper configuration?

I could successfully rip the CD on both systems.

The Docker container should take care that everything is pre-configured. Did you install the CD Ripper via the Extension Manager?

Can you check the ip address that is reported by the following command:

cat /etc/resolv.conf

Run the command first in a command window and after that in a console on the container:

docker exec -it roon-extension-cd-ripper cat /etc/resolv.conf

Is there a difference in output?

Yes

nameserver 127.0.0.53
options edns0

# No DNS servers known.

We might be up to something.

Can you follow the steps in this guide, to see if DNS is the problem?

https://development.robinwinslow.uk/2016/06/23/fix-docker-networking-dns/

1 Like