Roon Extension: Deep Harmony - rich feature set for Logitech Harmony

Could I ask you to repeat this and then extract and send logs from Deep Harmony (ill PM you details and email address).

Thanks

Was this an IR command directly to the DAC? (Ctrl+T I assume?)

I have been looking at what Roon is doing in response to a transport stop command via the API and it now seems to be entering a reported paused state and not a reported stopped state, though it does look like the transport is stopped (Roon status indicator goes grey immediately).

So, it does look like both Ctrl+T in Roon and Stop button on the remote are doing the same thing, it is just that something in Roon appears to have been broken over the past year or more since I last looked at this in detail.

This was an IR command through Harmony to a Flirc reciever that converts the IR command to a a key press (Ctrl+t) on the Windows computer that runs an active Roon remote window. This has been the way I have controlled Roon before Deep Harmony.

The way I observe the difference between the “stop” and “pause” command in Roon is through my DAC connected by USB (WASAPI). In normal use if I press pause (spacebar) in Roon my DAC will display the last used sample rate for 5 secs and then shift to display ready indicating it is no longer locked. If I press stop (Ctrl+t) the DAC will display ready right away.

Anyway I have tried this again in Deep Harmony: In the shutdown sequence for the Roon activity I have added:
10 sec delay
A Ctrl+t command through Flirc
10 sec delay
A Play command with the Roon Control (Roku device)
10 sec delay
As before nothing happens except of course it takes 30 secs to change activity but my DAC is still locked. I have emailed the logs to you.

Merry Christmas:)

1 Like

Thanks for the update. Back to its usual level of awesomeness!!! :partying_face:

1 Like

I’m trying to wrap my head around volume control for different scenarios. Is there any way for Deep Harmony to control DSP volume?
I’m thinking of a setup where no external devices have volume control. eg. Roon – Streamer – Active speakers.

Setup the activity in harmony such that the remote control volume buttons are assigned to the Roon device’s (roku emulator) volume buttons. This will cause the remote to control Roon’s volume by sending commands directly to the associated Roon zone.

If the associated Roon zone has controllable volume then it will control it whether it be DSP or Device or even another volume control extension.

I have several zones (each being a unique activity in harmony) that I use with harmony:

1. there is my main zone where the volume is controlled by harmony directly to my amp so in this case the volume buttons on the remote are mapped to the amp device IR codes. In harmony, I have deep harmony added to that zones volume controls in Roon to allow Roon to control the amp’s volume.
  2. there is my AVR that roon can talk to via airplay - in this case, I have the remote volume buttons mapped to the Roon device (roku emulator) so that tells Roon to adjust Airplay volume when I press buttons on the remote.
  3. Another DAC connected to my PC - this uses DSP volume and otherwise has buttons configured as above so that the harmony remote controls the DSP volume in Roon.

I have Roon core on an intel NUC running ROCK, and this extension is hosted on a raspberry pi running diet pi OS build.

D’oh! I tried what you described before but forgot to set the remote control volume buttons to the Roku emulator. Now it works controlling DSP volume and combined with this explanation: Device volume control on where the DSP volume happens I think I (finally) understand :slightly_smiling_face:
Thanks again for a very clear and detailed answer.

I have one more question about running the extension on Windows as a console app. Is there a way to make the script run in background. Right now I have an open console window running that I minimize but could this run indivisibly?

When I shut down my Windows computer at night I like it to be like an appliance so I just push the power button that is set to shut down Windows. I don’t close the Deep Harmony script first. Is this bad for the app or process. Can I accidently corrupt something that way?

1 Like

Just killing the process will at most result in a truncated diagnostic log so long as settings view is not open and being saved.

The consoles apps are really just a side effect of the build process and never intended to be the main way to run the extension.

For running always - you could use the windows task scheduler (type task scheduler into the search box). Create task with a trigger type of logon. I think there is a setting for ‘hidden’ too. Set the program to be the path the the batch file.

Thanks. Will give it a try.

This works for me now. It took a little trial and error to get the task hidden but works beautifully now. Very happy with this🙂

1 Like

The extension worked great
on my mac mini Catalina (10.15.7), but since a week or so I got each time the extension is launched the “allowing incoming network connections” dialog. I have given permission for incoming network for the extension in the firewall settings, but still the dialog pops-up every time it is launched. Because I shut down the mac at night this is a bit annoying. I have tried to get around this by using codesign to create a certificate, but this did not work either. Anyone a trick to solve this?

Does it still works with 1.8 ?

For me, I can report yes. I had to stop and restart the extension in Docker before 1.8 found the extension, and then it worked.

The only problem I’ve encountered so far is that the BBC Radio 3 and 4 stations are “no longer exists” but I think this is a, hopefully temporary, glitch with 1.8 (or the BBC!)

Fantastic.

Was waiting to hear if extensions were still working before upgrading … well … I won’t upgrade just yet after reading the horror stories of the new version :slight_smile:

Roon’s server problems with Live Radio were fixed yesterday, so my BBC Radio 4 favourite button on Deep Harmony is working again this morning. So I’ve no problems at all with 1.8 now - with core and Deep Harmony running on Synology 418Play, controllers on Android and MacOS 11.2 M1 chip

1 Like

Hi Deep Harmony People. I succeeded in getting Deep Harmony working on my Roon and on my Harmony Remote!

Two issues:

1. When I close the CMD window in Windows, Deep Harmony disappears from the Extensions list in Roon. When i open the CMD window back up and type run.bat on the CMD line, Deep Harmony then reappears in the Roon Extensions list and works again. Clearly I’m doing something wrong!

2. The Fastforward and Rewind buttons only jump ahead through the song, they won’t go to the next or last track on a single click. How do I get these buttons to skip tracks as if I were selecting >I or I< in the Roon app?

Thanks for the help!

First of all, many thanks for the fantastic extension. It certainly helped the case for continuing to use Roon.
In my setup, I am using a RPI4 connected to a DAC which again is connected to an amplifier. Both DAC and amplifier are controlled via a Harmony remote. I believe I have set up the extension correctly and for the most part it is working as expected. There is only one issue I am not able to resolve:
When skipping to the next track, the remote/extension seems to go through the start sequence of the harmony activity again, i.e. it is selecting the input for the amplifier and DAC again which results in a slight delay and the display of the amplifier coming out of standby. This does not happen with any other command (skip back, volume up/down). This behaviour stops when I remove the extension from the “external source controls” section in the device settings but that also removes the on/off button in the Roon U/I as well as the auto-stop functionality when stopping the harmony activity.
Does anyone have an idea what the issue might be?

1 - If not using a docker host, then I would suggest using the Windows Task Scheduler application to run the script in a hidden window at startup.

2 - See the documentation for Deep Harmony section on ‘Options’ configuration. GitHub - Khazul/roon-extension-deep-harmony-release: roon-extension-deep-harmony releases. Assuming remote buttons have bneen setup as suggested, then try the Reversed dual buttons setting.

1 Like

I do not recall having come across that before, however knowing how harmony works, then I can imagine a scenario that could cause it.

Please check that the setup of the remote and harmony is exactly as described in GitHub - Khazul/roon-extension-deep-harmony-release: roon-extension-deep-harmony releases.

In particular, make sure there is no input selection on the extension’s Roku emulator device in the startup sequence of ANY activity in harmony. I dont know if this would indeed cause such a problem, however I wouldnt be at all surprised if it did.

Many thanks. I will double check everything again. One more question: does the button mapping as described in your setup guide need to de done in the settings for the activity and/or in the settings for the Roku device?