Roon Extension: Deep Harmony - rich feature set for Logitech Harmony

I would expect so - M6si appears to be supported by Harmony.

1 Like

Awesome. Thank you. Is it possible to run the Deep Harmony on a RaspberryPi 4? I do not have a place to run dockers at the moment as my Roon is running in a Rock.

I run it here on an R-Pi 4 using dietpi and likewise I run Roon on Rock.

Just install dietpi on it, follow instruction to get extension manager up and running (in another thread on here) and then install the extension from extension manager.

2 Likes

Great, thank you. How ā€œheavyā€ is the DeepHarmony docker image. I have one RasberryPi 3B that I do not use. Shall I get a better user experience with Rasberry Pi 4?

Also, if I go with the 4, is the 2GB version enough?

Hello, I go the DietPi and Extension Manager running, but I cannot see DeepHarmony in the Extension Manager. Just the other Harmony Extension by Doc Bobo.

How can I add the Deep Harmony?

You need to activate docker in dietpi software config, then you will be able to see it as an extension to install in extension manager. Docker is a prerequisite for installing docker extensions via extension manager.

1 Like

Thank you that did it. :slight_smile:

Is there a performance (user experience) difference running the docker on Rpi3 vs Rpi4?

Not that it would effect the extension much if at all. Pi4 draws more power and runs hotter so cooling is more a problem. If all its doing is running extension manager then a 3 is all you need.

1 Like

Thanksā€¦ I got everything working. Nice extension.

1 Like

Continuing the discussion from Roon Extension: Deep Harmony - rich feature set for Logitech Harmony:

Got deep harmony running on docker on my Synology DS218+ 6GB 2 Bay NAS where Roon Core is running on the SSD disk 2 there.

Iā€™m very glad to have the Roon play/pause and track skip buttons working on my Harmony hub/elite remote, thanks.

I looked to send a donation, but the liberapay sign-up looked too complex. Any way to send as a paypal gift?
regards,
Rob.

Hi,
I setup my Harmony Hub, Roon Deep Harmony extension on Docker and everything works fine.
I just have this problem : when I stop the activity, or change activity, the concerned zone doesnā€™t stop playing music.
In the wiki itā€™s mentioned : Auto stop linked zone when Harmony selects another activity or powers off
But it does notā€¦
Does anybody have the same issue ?

Works for me - but I suggest you double check your settings for the extension and the device. Here are what mine look like:

and

Thank you !
I didnā€™t set up the External Source Controls section.
It works now :slight_smile:

Is it just me or did the radio stations drop off from the options to select as a favourite?
I had some radio stations setup, but now can only see playlists.

Yes - the name of the radio list changed. I will be updating later this weekend.

3 Likes

Hi thanks for this wonderful extension
In fact radios cannot be seen no more in the Roon favorites list
I understood you plan to update this?
As of now I cannot see any update (I am running deepharmony extension as a docker in a Qnap NAS)
Can you please keep us informed ?
Thanks so much for this work

Got it. Thank you very much!
You guys rule with this extension
So easier audiophile life
Ps : when I think some audio brands (#Lumin) did not initially include a remote control with their expensive stuff and now ask their existing customers 250 or 300 bucks for an IR remote control with a big IR receiver on usb, I feel very good to know deep harmony!

@Adam_Goodfellow Thank you very much for this extension. I just installed it after putting it off for two years:) Its a fantastic extension. Everything works as expected.

I have one small problem in the category of first world problems. When I switch activities Roon stops playing and Plex starts as it should but my DAC is not released from exclusive mode because Roon stops so quickly (usually takes 5 sec in pause mode). So I wanted to put in a stop command in the shutdown sequence (that would instantly release my DAC) but that command is not available because its mapped to the power off button in the Ruko mapping. Stampie had the same problem earlier in the thread: Roon Extension: Deep Harmony - rich feature set for Logitech Harmony. Is there a possibility for using a different mapping for the stop command so that Harmony would let me use it?

Iā€™ve been through the entire thread but I couldnā€™t find anything about the volume slider not appearing in Roon when choosing DeepHarmony for volume control. Is it something to do with feedback from Harmony?
Thanks again for an awesome extension.

When you switch activities in Harmony, Deep Harmony detects the activity change in Harmony, but can do nothing about it but this time. All it does is to tell Roon that the source (the harmony activity) is no longer selected.

Roon then pauses the transport itself - Deep Harmony has nothing to do with this.

Re the remote buttons: What you see as a mapping of stop -> Roon power off is beause Roku has no stop command and so I use something else - the Power off command instead. Internally, Deep Harmony treats Power Off from Roku as a Transport Stop command.

What you may want to do is instead change the Device Power Setting of the Roon Control Roku device in Harmony device settings to ā€˜Turn Off when not in useā€™. I believe it is probably set to ā€˜No power buttons on my original remoteā€™.

If you do this, then Harmony itself will send the Power Off command to Deep Harmony which will cause Deep Harmony to send a Transport Stop command to Roon for the zone associated with the outgoing harmony activity.

If you try this and have any issues let me know. If others wish to try this as well - please give feedback about it (pros/cons) so I can consider whether it is safe to make this the default setup recommendation.

As for the volume slider disappearing, this is because Roon only shows the slider for devices with a absolute control over volume. Harmony remote however only have up/down buttons and so can only exert incremental control and there is no concept of the absolute value that Roon need to display a bar, so Roon removes this and leaves only the + / - buttons.

I have in the past experimented with a psuedo absolute control, but removed it because I considered it to be far too dangerous with the potential to crank an amp up to full volume. In additional I already take precautions to limit Harmony ability to crank the volume to the max by limiting the command rate, for eg when a network stall (that I can do nothing about as it is in Harmonyā€™s domain) causes the user to keep pressing volume up due to lack of response. When there is a network stall, then typically all the pending volume up commands come through very quickly one after another, so by limiting the volume up command rate, it hopefully prevents accidents :slight_smile:

As I noticed a minor issue in the latest update (in the embedded web UI - nothing that impacts use with Roon) then I will be issuing another update in the next few days, so any feedback before then would be good :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you for the detailed answer. I understand about the slider and also prefer safety when it comes to sudden changes in volume :slightly_smiling_face:

Regarding the stop command I tried your suggestion setting the power setting for the Roon Control (Roku device) to ā€œTurn off when not in useā€ but it did not work for me. I then tried adding a ā€œmedia keyā€ stop command with and old ir remote I have through a Flirc device. The media key stop command stoped Roon playing (and released my DAC) when using it in normal use. But when I added the command to the shut down sequence for the Roon activity it did not work.

Then I tried putting a 10 sec delay both before and after the media key stop command in the shut down sequence. I then noticed that Roon stopped plaing as soon as the shut down sequence was initiated and then 10 secs of delay. The stop command still did not work after the 10 sec delay and Roon did not release my DAC as it would normaly do after only 5 secs of pause.

So it seems that communication with Roon stops as soon as the shut down sequence begins. I also tried putting a play command in the shut down sequence before the stop command but Roon does not react after the shutdown sequence has been initiated.