Roon Extension: Deep Harmony - rich feature set for Logitech Harmony

@Adam_Goodfellow

Just a quick note of thanks. This extension has basically solved the major outstanding usability issues with Roon in my system. Great work!

1 Like

@Adam_Goodfellow

I have moved my Harmony Hub to a separate VLAN.

My integration platforms (e.g. Home Assistant and NodeRed) are able to see the Harmony Hub in the other VLAN if I enter the IP address of the Hub.

It looks like the Harmony Extension uses the Discovery mode only. There is no way to enter the IP of the Hub directly. Do you have plans to enhance the extension by this feature?

Thanks

Michael

This is a great extensions and works fine on my configuration: Roon Core 1.8 on a Mac Mini (2012) running Catalina.
However every time when I reboot the MacMini I get the ā€œdo you allow incoming connectionsā€¦ā€ dialog for roon-extension-deep-harmony even if in the firewall this has been set already.
This happens because the binary has not the correct signature. I tried to resign ā€œroon-extension-deep-harmonyā€ using codesign but without success (error: main executable failed strict validation).
Of course I can keep the mini always on, but I would like to schedule on-off cycli. Does someone has a solution for this?

adam, this may have been discussed earlier, so forgive the repetition. I hope one day your favorites function will include the ability to shuffle a playlist.

MANY THANKS FOR THE EXTENSION!

I dont have any plans for this, however, added to todo list.

Unfortunately, there is nothing I can do about this. As I understand it there have been requests logged with the tool that produces this executable to resolve this for at least a couple of years. There does not appear to be any packaging work around to make this compliant either.

Iā€™d just like to say that I asked my tech savvy son to follow this thread and build it so that I could control Roon via my Harmony hub remote. He put together and loaded a raspberry PI and after a bit of fiddling, it works flawlessly. Now I can grab the remote and hit Pause when the phone rings/wife needs me. Heaven!

2 Likes

i second this request. I want to have my hub not on the same vlan as Roon but currently it wont see the any hubs on other vlans.

Hi, This is a bit off topic, but you guys may be able to give me a pointer.

Iā€™m a big fan of this extension, and have been using it for some time. Using the favourites is great, particularly as you can set up an activity that launches a favourite - so ā€œRoon Radio 4ā€ is an activity that gets started first thing in the morning every day in our household.

However, my wife has Alzheimerā€™s, and frankly, the Harmony remote is beyond her, sadly. Iā€™m always looking for ways to maximise her autonomy and control of her environment, and I want to find something simpler for her, if I can. The ideal would be a simple display on the wall with images that she touches: one for Radio 4, one for Sting, one for Sara Bareilles ā€¦ each linked to a playlist through one of the Deep Harmony favourites which I can maintain and change as she requests. And one to turn off Roon (and the associated hardware of course). But I have no idea on how to achieve it.

Iā€™ve a Synology NAS on which the Roon core runs, and Deep Harmony runs in a Docker container on the Synology too. Thereā€™s a Philip Hue in the house too, but although itā€™s a Zigbee device, itā€™s unlikely to be of use I guess. But Iā€™m just demonstrating my ignorance here. Any pointers from the community would be welcome. Thanks

Hey Adam, wanted to extend my appreciation for this wonderful extension. Iā€™ve just gotten the docker up and running on my Synology NAS. However the latest image Iā€™m seeing from your repository is 2.6.0+354 and I see no documented means of updating to the newer builds elsewhere. Fairly certain Iā€™m missing something obvious.

Hi David, If youā€™ve got the earlier version running, go to Room - Settings - Extensions - Deep Harmony. Under Tools you can find the update setting. Once you set that to update, Save and DH will update to the latest version

1 Like

I totally looked there, and completely missed it.:laughing:

Thanks John!

Looks like I may have found the answer to my own question here. Today I installed openHAB 3 under Docker on my Synology NAS. Thereā€™s a long way to go with this yet, but at least openHAB can see the Harmony Hub as a ā€œThingā€ and all the associated equipment too, so Iā€™m hopeful that this is a route that will work

Hi John,

I know of openHAB, but you might take a look at HomeAssistant. I like it better because easier to use and it is also available as a docker image.

Cheers,
Joost

1 Like

Thanks @Joost_Hoogland, Iā€™ve got it running now under openHAB 3 (which is GUI rather than text based, making it accessible to us that donā€™t program) running in as a docker image. But thanks for the pointer

Linking a newly identified issue with my Deep Harmony implementation:

I posted this to Support, presuming that the fix will need to be on the Roon side (ie, perhaps an option stating ā€œexternal source control powers RAAT device,ā€ which will cause Roon not to send the duplicate power signal).

Any advice here would be appreciated.

Bad news: Logitech officially discontinues its Harmony remotes - The Verge
Canā€™t decide if I should buy a spare one while supplies last.

I believe harmony ecosystem is very cloud dependable and doesnā€™t make sense to sustain the infrastructure for a product that they no longer sell (no that they make any sense at all for that matter). You may end up with an useless piece of vintage gear (nothing wrong with that though). By the way, I wrote all of this with my last Logitech keyboard ever!!! :slight_smile:

I think youā€™re right. Even though Logitech says they will continue the servers and support I think they are gonna stop as soon as everybody looks the other way. Now only problem is how to find something that does what Harmony didā€¦

I am not surprised by this. As long time software developer, then I have never been a fan of their software and it has always seemed to me to be a bit of a cheap minimum effort, OTOH the hardware is good, and to be fair, this is what Logitech are good at. I just dont think they have the will to do more than bare minimum software. Maybe those involved have moved on too as often happens.

The biggest problem with these in future is they are highly tied to their cloud and if they switch that off without a final de-clouding update, then basically the units will be semi-bricked - it wont be the first time
logitech decided to brick outgoing hardware.

I suspect part of the reason from dropping it is an increasing number of products are wifi and having to implement new control protocols (rather than just a bunch of standard IR codes) is an expensive process to keep on top of the hundreds or thousands of new product launched every year.

When I was implementing this, it turned out there just wasnt many network devices implemented (I needed to emulate one to allow it to control Roon) and as far as I know, then have not added any in several years.