Roon Extension Manager 1.x (currently at v1.1.2)

I saw your post and tried with
sudo su -
But I got the same error.

I thought I had messed it up during the uninstall of the previous version of roon extension manager so I reinstated an old os image. This evening I will try to do again the update to 7.2 and then the update the extension manager again

Did the whole thing again and it doesn’t work.
I tried using
sudo su -
before running
dietpi-software reinstall 86
but it crashes always at the same point

Can you try by using the root user instead of the dietpi user?

@Geoff_Coupe, @seagull,

The version of it’roXs! that is included in Snapshots is indeed an older version. The idea of Snapshots is not that it receives an update when one of the contained extensions gets updated, but instead, the updated extension should be converted to the new format and can then be removed from Snapshots. Meaning that, in the long run, only the extensions that are no longer maintained remain in it.

I understand that this doesn’t help you at the moment, but I’m in contact with @Boris_Schaedler to work on the conversion to the new format (no ETA).

1 Like

When I used the diet-pi version from January…
Logging in the first time, as root, it did a software update to latest as part of first login. Then I did:

sudo su -
dietpi-software

I checked extensions to install and installed (from the menu). It installed 1.x. Since I was already on the latest diet-pi (from the first time root login) I didn’t have to upgrade to 1.x; didn’t run the reinstall.

You can verify what version of extensions get installed from Roon settings or run:

dietpi@DietPi:~$ sudo systemctl status roon-extension-manager
● roon-extension-manager.service - Roon Extension Manager
Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/roon-extension-manager.service; disabled; vendor preset: enabled)
Active: active (running) since Wed 2021-06-02 03:21:00 BST; 17min ago
Main PID: 3018 (roon-extension-)
Tasks: 12 (limit: 4915)
CGroup: /system.slice/roon-extension-manager.service
├─3018 /bin/bash /root/.roon-extension-manager/roon-extension-manager.sh
└─3144 docker run --network host --name roon-extension-manager --group-add 995 -v rem_data:/home/node/.rem/ -v /var/run/docker.soc
k:/var/run/docker.sock -e TZ=Europe/London --log-driver journald theappgineer/roon-extension-manager:v1.x
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Sorry I should have explained better, everything I have done has been done as root.

I remotely logged in as root@[ip number] and tried to run the update command and got the error.
I also tried adding the use the sudo su - but it failed again.
Is any other way I should ssh to run the update?

@ipeverywhere To avoid to have to re-run the whole update to 7.2, before running the Extension manager update updated I did a system back up and when I failed with the last attempt I restore the back up so now I am back running Extension Manager 0.11.9

thanks
M

So this is new. I don’t think I’ve experienced this.

This is the same as logging in as root [see my note above]

You’re running the update the only way I know it should work. Without access to the system I’m not sure how to troubleshoot it.

If you can provide the output of:

│ See “systemctl status docker.service” and “journalctl -xe” for details.^M │

Login as root.
Run: dietpi-update (just to make sure we’re up to date)
Reboot!
Then try running the reinstall
If it fails you should get similar failure output as before with the above line and those two commands.

It might be faster to just do a fresh install of diet-pi though.

What I find strange is that the Docker install fails as well. This is plain DietPi functionality, there is nothing Extension Manager specific about it. If you do a plain reinstall of Docker does that then also fail?

dietpi-software reinstall 162

What model Raspberry Pi do you use?

I use a raspberryPi model 3 B+
Just to give you a bit of context. I have set it up with a touch screen and chromium running automatically.
These are the steps I followed and it works fine with the old version

Ok, this is very weird.

Instead than doing my usual ssh as root
I tried to ssh as dietpi user ssh dietpi@[IP]
then I switched to root with
sudo su -
then I run the upgrade

dietpi-software reinstall 86

and the installation went through without problems.

No idea why, connecting as root or connecting as user and switching to roo should be the exact same thing.

I then moved on installing extension snapshots and then form there up to
Roon web manager

I can not recommend strongly enough not allowing ssh as root. I am unsure what OS even allows that, it is usually not possible as the default and requires intervention to allow it.
sshkeys are far safer and a prefered method, you won’t even need any login.

Why even post though? all I need is your ip and I now know an active user, I can automate attacking the password.

DietPi does that by default.
If people now are worried here how to change it

Easy to do just follow the instructions.

2 Likes

Thank you, I had no idea.

Hi @Jan_Koudijs, thank you for all the hard work!

I’m pretty much of a noob although I’ve managed to install the Docker version of your extension manager some time ago on my Synology.

In the settings section on Roon it says it is checking for updates every night but I’m unable to tell whether that check is meant for the extensions I’m running or for the extension manager itself. The build (?)/version for the extension manager is displayed as 0.11.9.

The container in my Docker states it is running “theappgineer/roon-extension-manager:latest”

Is there anything I should do to get the functionality you describe (auto-updates) or am I ensured of the latest version with my current setup (think not the way you described the new version used with Docker)?

Thanks again for your efforts,
Kind regards,
Marc Geerts

Hi @Marc_Geerts

The upgrade from 0.11.9 to 1.0.0 has to done manually for all installation types, they are too different to provide an automatic approach for this.

When you manually create the Docker container on your NAS, then Extension Manager updates always have to be performed manually. The extensions that are installed via the manager will be auto updated. I added a description of the update procedure to the Wiki, as I missed that previously.

If there is anything unclear, just let me know.

Apologies I’m really not a technical person.

Installation failed for my NAS on the TimeZone detection and other stuff:
Roon Extension Manager setup script - version 1.0.0

Checking for root privileges… [ OK ]
Checking for Docker socket… [ OK ]
./rem-setup.sh: line 75: groups: command not found
Adding user to docker group… ./rem-setup.sh: line 79: usermod: comman d not found
[ OK ]
Downloading shell script…
Redirecting output to ‘wget-log’.
[ OK ]
Detecting timezone… [FAIL]
Setting up service… mv: cannot move ‘roon-extension-manager. service’ to ‘/etc/systemd/system/’: No such file or directory
[FAIL]

The setup script cannot be used on a NAS, you have to use the manual method. But since you are able to run commands on the NAS, let me lead you trough it.

First step is to stop and remove the old Extension Manager:

docker stop roon-extension-manager

docker rm roon-extension-manager

Next we have to collect some system information, write down the number that is outputted by this command:
stat -c '%g' /var/run/docker.sock

And find the name for the timezone you are in, possible values can be found in the TZ column of this list.

The last step is to create the container for the Extension manager. Replace the <docker-gid> part with the number you wrote down previously and replace the <timezone> part with the name of the timezone (make sure that you also remove the < > characters):

docker run -d --network host --restart unless-stopped --name roon-extension-manager --group-add <docker-gid> -v rem_data:/home/node/.rem/ -v /var/run/docker.sock:/var/run/docker.sock -e "TZ=<timezone>" --log-driver journald theappgineer/roon-extension-manager:v1.x-standalone

If all went well you should now find the 1.0.0 Extension Manager in Roon.
1 Like

Thank you Jan, will let you know once done!

Hello Jan,

Finally the commands returned errors from my NAS. I loaded the v1.x-standalone version from the registry in my Docker app directly on the NAS and I added the TZ variable. I now get an error when starting the container in Docker stating that the extension manager requires Docker. I don’t quite get it but the good news is that the 0.8 version is still operational :slight_smile:

Not sure which variables I’m missing if any or whether this method of starting a container is valid.

The container log in Docker is as follows:

And the variables are:

The web interface of the Synology NAS doesn’t provide input fields for all the required options, this has been reported before.

That is why I supplied the list of commands, these have to be executed in a command window, like you did before when trying the setup script.