Roon Extension: Publish to MQTT broker

It worked now. Thanks!

1 Like

Hi, big thanks for creating this extension.
I am using it on a QNAP with the extension manager in a docker container. My mqtt broker is running without any problems or advanced settings (no auth or ssl)
Currently, I must enable it daily (by Settings > Extensions).
Is there any way to keep it enabled?

Does the docker container stay online, or is it restarted daily? If so, maybe the config volume is not mapped/mounted correctly inside the container.

Seems like the extension manager starts update at 1:00 and stuck on (get a few hunderd of these messages)
-> CONTINUE 1 Changed {ā€œmessageā€:ā€œUpdating: roon-mqtt-extensionā€¦ā€,ā€œis_errorā€:false}
until I connect to Roon again manually
Core lost: [CoreName]
Iā€™ve set the logging on debug now, letā€™s see what tomorrow brings.
Seems like a roon-extension-manager related issue?

I think so, probably related to an issue with the docker volume not mapped to the config directory in the container.
When that is the case and the container is re-created or restarted it will have an empty configuration and will have lost the association with the core.

@Jan_Koudijs Did I miss something in the repository entry for the extension?

Hi @Robbert_N,

Please try the steps listed in this post:

In order to keep the configuration of the installed extensions it is important that you create a Docker volume for the extensions when you create the Extension Manager container.

At the command line this is done with:

-v roon-extensions:/root/.RoonExtensions/lib

If you use the web interface of the QNAP you have to check how to create volumes there.

Iā€™ve de-installed, uninstalled and installed the MQTT extension. Currently itā€™s on 2.2.0.
Yes, my compose file is as follow:

version: "3"
services:
  roon:
    image: theappgineer/roon-extension-manager:latest
    container_name: roon-extension-manager
    restart: unless-stopped
    volumes:
      - ./roon-extensions:/root/.RoonExtensions/lib
    environment:
      - PUID=1000
      - PGID=1000
      - TZ=Europe/Amsterdam
    network_mode: host

volumes:
  roon-extensions:
    external: true

You specified a relative path in the volume definition (./roon-extensions), I donā€™t know how that is treated by Docker. Please remove the leading ./ and create a new container.

1 Like

Damn, that must be it! thanks!

1 Like

Hey there,
i just tried this to embed in my openhab3 panel, but i still get only the black ā€œroonā€ displayed in my frame, no cover. i think the issue is that there is no support. in my chrome-browser its working after activating in roon settingsā€¦but i cant activate the display for openhabā€¦
how did you get it working?
Thx fpr help, Hannes

Hi. you must enable/select the display from the ā€œvolume menuā€ (looks like a TV next to the DSP button).
hope you find it :wink:

Hi, yes, i know this Well- That ist exactly the Problem! This Display Icon just doesnt Show Up when ii try to connect via openhab as it usually does with chrome Or Firefoxā€¦does it work in your setting with openhab3?

Hi. sorry not tested in OH3.0 but works fine in olderā€¦ Would be soo nice with a Roon Binding for OH3ā€¦ HA have oneā€¦ (not tested)ā€¦

Just wanted to say thanks ! Iā€™m controlling roon using a magic cube with this :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi @eFJee

Can you please point out what I might be doing wrong to get this error?

Here are my (unchanged) settings:

Iā€™m running the extension under Docker on a Synology NAS. In the Docker GUI I enabled auto restart and use the same network as the the Docker host.

In your reply, please bear in mind that my knowledge is limited to configuring items presented in a GUI!

And finally, has volschin taken over updating this fjgalesloot? I found almost identically named images on docker, but the volschin version has been updated more recently. When theyā€™re running, they both appear in Roon as Floris Jan Galesloot.

Thanks

1 Like

If you are running the docker image, than probably your MQTT broker is not running on 127.0.0.1. You should enter the correct IP adress of your broker.

Iā€™m not aware of a newer docker version. Maybe volschin just wants to create his own docker images. Donā€™t now. The one at fjgalesloot/roon-extension-mqtt is updated when the github master branch is updated, so should always be up to date.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply. Entering the IP address doesnā€™t improve matters:

What should I try next?

1 Like

So there is a connection issue between the extension and your MQTT broker. Did you enable the need for encryption, or username/password in your broker config? You could try to connect to the broker with MQTT Explorer and see if that works. https://mqtt-explorer.com/

1 Like

Thanks @eFJee . Itā€™s connecting now to the broker (eclipse-mosquitto running in a Docker container on my Synology NAS) with both the broker and extension (also in a Docker container) using localhost.

But Iā€™m still stuck! Iā€™ve installed the MQTT Broker binding and OH3 tells me itā€™s Online. But when I try to add an Item to OH3 I get told there are no Channels reported, so Iā€™m stumped at this point. Sorry to pose such a noob question, but can you give me a pointer please? Many thanks

Hi @John_Warden. I think the OH3 configuration is not something to discuss here. It can be rather complicated. :wink:
I am using Domoticz with with Node-Red mostly for MQTT and just a little bit of OH in that mix. I think you should add those Channels manually in your MQTT Thing.

See: MQTT Things and Channels - Bindings | openHAB.
But maybe someone at https://community.openhab.org/ can help you with the setup.