Roon Extension : RHEOS 2-way control & 192Hz/24bit Playback and Grouping on Denon/Marantz HEOS devices now in Extension Manager

@Piotr_Pekala - I have seen it show both ways and I thought the first time I did not see the second speaker was when I restarted rheos after they were already in stereo mode…clearly, you are on to something in that there is inconsistency of what shows up in roon… currently i see both paired in both apps but I suspect the next rheos restart will change it again…

patrick

Hi Todd,

Welcome.

Yes 192/24 is possible. Set to Hi Res in the extension settings.
You can stream Quobuz - I do all the time.
Both an ARM Linux and windows are available. Various ways to install depending on your preference.

https://hub.docker.com/repository/docker/rheos/roon-extension-rheos

You think it might run from a virtual windows workstation/server on a NAS?

I’d avoid that complexity!

So you are suggesting a desktop windows computer to run this?

@TODD_LEWIS i don’t see any issue with the VM so long as you can deal with the network in the VM image seeing the roon server…

As for the roon core, well audiofiles will tell you dedicated hardware of course (less electronic noise) but I think that is diminishing returns

Best setup - Roon extension manager running on raspberry pi or whatever linux machine you have

As previously stated if its install on an ubuntu server on the NAS, as long at it can access the Roon Core on the NAS I should be good right? Core is seen on my wifi so if I make ubuntu/extension manger seen on the wifi they should see each other hopefully.

Should work - try it and see and we will try to help. This is tinkering !

Hi Peter,
I got it running but I don’t see rheos extension in the roon app, only see extension manager.
I’ve attached screenshot of config running on ubuntu 22.04. It was a bit painful fixing the errors but it looks ok I’m just not sure I’m seeing what I need to see in the roon app. My HEOS endpoints haven’t been rediscovered yet.

Ok - that looks like it should be loaded.

Here are the instruction’s from Jans wiki:

If running correctly go to Settings → Extensions and select Roon Extension Manager Settings

Choose Category Device control and Rheos should appear as a selection in the drop down

Not quite, hmmm

Gonna go back and reinstall the hreos extension as it doesn’t seem like its installed properly or it would be showing in the list. The Denon/Marantz AVR is showing but that is listed in ubuntu as a denon extension.

Ok, think I got it now. Installed newer version of extension manager.

Baby steps. Now its having issues finding devices. It seems to be using the docker address on eth0 and not eth1 which is the network all the devices are on. I have the correct roon extension address in there which is same as where all the devices are.

Yes. That’s progress and its the HEOS discovery protocol that is having trouble with your specific set up. I’ve had trouble when there are multiple ethernet adapters available. Could you help me investigate by letting me know more about the system. Firstly though, have you tried setting the DEFUALT IP ADDRESS FOR HEOS PLAYER in settings.

This may help - and should be the IP address of a hard wired (preferably) HEOS enabled AVR or player. Shutting down your ROON sever and the NAS and then restarting now you have this all set up can also give a “clean” start and may work.

If this doesn’t work I’ll pm you when I get chance so I can look at more info on your setup which you may not want to share here.

Good luck.

Peter

Reboot, didn’t change anything. The default address of the HEOS player is set to the Marantz AV10.The roon extension address is set to an address on the same network as the AV10 and all other HEOS endpoints. Thanks for all the guidance look forward to hearing from you.

So I had the same issues as my nas has 6 nic ports…my solution was to setup a macvlan in docker and put roon and rheos image on that network…this way they become first class members of the lan…

1 Like

Thanks Patrick - super helpful!

I have some reading to do to understand how I can address this within the Dockerfile. Any advice appreciated.

I switched from the QNAP Linux station running ubuntu to Virtualization Station and imported a ubuntu VM. Configured it per all the roon-extension guidance and its works!! The difference is the VM doesn’t try and use the QNAP container resource so it doesn’t add the IP address of that resource. It only has a single address which is on the same subnet as my endpoints. Now to get the album art to work…

1 Like

Album art won’t work on the HEOS app. Use the ROON app - much better.