Roon Extension : RHEOS 2-way control & 192Hz/24bit Playback and Grouping on Denon/Marantz HEOS devices now in Extension Manager

@peter_richardson - This is really outside of your docker setup, part of creating the docker instance from the image is defining the network…

[the following may give the impression I understand this stuff in detail, reality is, I dont :slight_smile: ]

by default most docker hosts have ‘bridge’ and ‘host’ - in my NAS’s case (and I suspect any docker server with multiple network cards) I have different vlan ports for some of my network ports…

so macvlan’s is a way docker to carve out a section of a network and directly assign ip addresses…
when configuring the macvlan, you tell it which physical port (or bond) it is going to attach to… now, any docker image you tell to use the specific macvlan is forced to use that port only… problem solved…

I suspect you could do this with bridge mode too IF you can fix a bridge to a specific nic

Patrick

Hi Peter,
One thing I noticed was when I stream to my AVP is 16/44.1content shows on the screen of the AVP as 24 bit / 96kHz. Is this a known issue or is the AVP actually upsampling the stream?

The Heos player has been reported as showing a different sampling from that reported by ROON. If you have selected HIRes in the options it may be that this is upsampled - but I have no control of this in the app and report what is delivered from the stream via squueze2upnp.

So Roon can actually upsample? I didn’t know that.

Roon can upsample using its DSP engine.

But in this case upsampling is being done later in the chain - as the signal path shows:
and my DAC as well as HEOS app show 192/24.

It doesn’t happen when I run pure LMS-uPnP. In that case Roon resolution is visible also on DAC screen and HEOS app. So it must be connected with the way @peter_richardson uses LMS-uPnP and HEOS libraries.

To be honest not sure how this is working. Will investigate! How’s the sound and other functionality?

I’m not sure I can tell the difference between 44/16 and 192/24 on the AV10. So I was questioning if roon was actually indicating the true sample rate. If in fact it is upscaling its heard to tell the difference. I might have to listen to more music and focus…

Well I’d love to be able to hear the AV10. It looks amazing!

Hope you enjoy the high res - I’ll see if I can find out more snot what’s happens!

Let me have any other feedback.

Just crossed 700 downloads - via extension manager alone!

Yea I think this AV10 is in a league of its own. Congrats on 700. Mine running on a Ubuntu vm from my NAS has been very stable. My one complaint and I don’t think it’s related to RHEOS is when using the room app from my smart phone tends to slow the phone down and lock it up sometimes. Maybe creating a high CPU condition.

Very interesting for my HEOS 7 HS2 speakers. :slight_smile: But… 89 messages… Who wants to help me with instructions: where can I find the instructions to test this wonderful piece of software!?

Let me know if you need more help.

Thank you @peter_richardson. My Roon core is a Synology NAS. Do I have to download and install the node.js on my Windows computer or do I have to do something on my NAS?

You will see that several folks have been successful loading onto their NAS.

The easiest is to install the roon extension manager

Some people have had trouble with the virtual ports that are used when on a NAS but have overcome this.

Profile - patrick_mccarthy - Roon Labs Community has had the best experience on this and may be willing to help. Please see the content in the thread so you can decide what’s best for you. If you already have docker running on the NAS your are likely already there.

Let us know how it goes and we will try to trouble shoot.

Kind regards

Peter

Mine is on QNAP. I had success spinning up an ubuntu vm and following all the guidance. It wasn’t easy but be patient and you will be pretty happy. I will say I’ve noticed roon core eats almost 3gb of Ram on my NAS.

Hello @MartijnDD I run the Roon on my NAS as a docker image. Are you running it as a docker image or the Synology package option (I originally ran it via the unofficial package (was it called Roon on NAS?) but wanted to separate the networks so moved into docker).

Either way you currently run it, I think you can still run the RHeos extension as a docker image on the Synology NAS and your Roon image will see Peter’s extension. (we will have to test using a bridge vs host network setup on the docker image)

I also originally installed Peter’s docker image using the Docker UI on Synology - pretty easy and I believe I have screenshots of the settings… I have now moved to using Portainer on Synology (it’s a docker container itself) and I can share the docker-compose file with you if you like…

let us know you Synology setup for your Roon and we can go from there…

Patrick

PS - I could never get the roon extension manager to properly work - I am sure it is just a mapping and permissions issue in the docker-sock setup but I didn’t have the expertise or energy to chase when I can just run the rheos on its own container and I don’t need any other extensions).

@peter_richardson Congrats on the 700 downloads (and counting)! Is version 0.5.2-1 still the active version inside the Roon-Extension Manager or was it upgraded to the latest branch of software you have published on GitHub (0.6.2-0)? Portainer is still showing the 0.5.2-1 as the current image (the docker image hasn’t been updated) - just checking “for a friend” :slight_smile:

Patrick

1 Like

Might upload the new and improved docker images this weekend if I can build them.

Very happy with how it’s working for me and now time to test more broadly.

I was hoping to have an option for users to not update until more testing but Roon extension manager doesn’t have that capability.

I’ll post if and when it goes live.

I wonder if the Roon extension manager developer would allow you to create two extensions one called rheos-beta or -Dev, and the other one the main extension for your our rheos tool.

this way users could activate the dev extension and test it out, but revert back to the main extension. I use this feature on some plug-ins on my pfsense firewall.

1 Like

@peter_richardson What is the recommended memory amount for a linux VM running RHEOS? I had mine set to 2GB and lowered it to 1GB and RHEOS seems to run fine. Roon core on the NAS does go up and down on the RAM especially with Hi-Res set for all speakers.

Please - can someone refer me to very specific, line by line, instructions to install RHEOS on my QNAP NAS? I have created ContainerStation in my QNAP. Do I next install Ubuntu, then NodeJS, then Roon Extension Manager, then RHEOS? Do I need to set up a network pointer in ContainerStation preferences docker0? I tried to go right to installing Roon Extension Manager but found “Warning: Docker not found.” I can’t get past this warning. Any help appreciated.