Roon Extension : RHEOS 2-way control & 192Hz/24bit Playback and Grouping on Denon/Marantz HEOS devices now in Extension Manager

Assume you rolled back. I reinstalled roon extensions manger, but it’s deploying 0.8.6-0

Also, it’s not very bright. I stopped my test docker 0.9 install and it complains it’s already installed (vs removing, quicker to revert back) - wish it would also look at tags before making this assumption.

Let us know when you push 0.9 to room extension manager

If you want to use QNAP NAS (it’s what I use) simplest way is to run the container via the container station UI.
yes, extension manager will help but more than you need if only running HEOS.

Right now the latest version is working good for me (0.9.3-07)

Let’s see if this helps you.

pre-reqs:
If more than one HEOS device, change it’s friendly name (via AMP or HEOS app) and make it unique
This assume you have a simple network, QNAP and HEOS device on the same physical network
I have HEOS AMPs on WiFi, QNAP on ethernet

Enable Squeezbox support:
roon → settings → setup → click on “Enable Squeezebox support”

Login to the QNAP and open container station
Click on Containers
Click on “+Create”
paste in the “latest” image and click next (see URLs below)

under Network Configuration
disable “Default web URL port”
QNAP - Container - configure container

click Advanced Settings
Click Networks
Select Custom
Validate Bridge is selected and an Interface to your network is selected (your default vSwitch interface should work). If you have DHCP on the network, no need to use a static IP or manually configure DNS.

QNAP - Container - configure container - network

Click Apply
Click Next
Click Finish

Validate the container starts (enters a running state) and it gets an IP on your network
Check the logs if not

Configure HEOS
roon → settings → extension → HEOS → enable
roon → settings → extension → HEOS → settings (out of the box shouldn’t need to mess with it, but more settings here. I change player to “pass though”

RHEOS - Pass Through

Roon → Audio → Squeezebox → → enable (this device already enabled)

ROON - Squeezebox - Amp

Happy Streaming

URLs

HEOS docker hub repro: https://hub.docker.com/r/rheos/roon-extension-rheos/tags

QNAP container station docs: How to use Container Station 3? | QNAP

2 Likes

Yes he rolled back as it broke it for me completely couldn’t stop it playing. It was continuing to switch to HEOS without me doing anything. The Mrs wasn’t happy as she was trying to watch tv.

Is here a way to stop extensions in extension mangager updating? Does setting the check for update box to blank do this? Can’t see anything else as if I can stay on this version other can try the later ones as it doesn’t like my setup for some reason.

1 Like

as usual, a nigth’s sleep helps. thank you for all your advise.
now it’s working.
i have changed 2 thinks. roon extension manager has been added et rheos install with “host” network parameter instead of bridge.
now, I will change nothing at all it’s WORKING!!!

1 Like

I think we need some careful instructions and the combined experience of those able to use the test image.

It’s not difficult to pull a docker image to a raspberry pi without extension manager so long as you don’t try to run RHEOS in multiple settings.

I think the tv issue is interesting and am guessing it’s a name clash - thought I had avoided that possibility - could you share more?

There were several hundred downloads and only the conversations here reported issues.

Just confirming version that is working. 0.9x or 0.8.6.

The extension manager used the “latest” tag which I managed to revert to 0.8.6 and the “test” tag docker image is where we will try to explore these strange behaviors. Not setting newtwork to host will always cause a problem.

I propose I work to create a new user guide bringing together the learnings as I try to understand edge cases and setups different from my own.

Thank you for your patience.

I think leaving blank is the only way - but I would love you to be able to test- but with a reinstall rather than update. Could you share details of what happened exactly and the naming of whatever was controlling the tv - Is is a DLNA / UPnP device ?

One think I noted when reverting on to two raspberry pi’s - I had failure to pull the new image and had to repeat. A reinstall fixed it.

It was surprisingly hard to revert as somehow my system cached the 0.9 version and every time I pushed the old 0.8 - having done the necessary edits it still persisted as 0.9 x despite building the image with a no-cache option.

It’s always a journey for sure.

You are rapidly becoming a great help to us all.

Thank you for your clear information.

I will continue to make minor modifications to the test tagged image - the latest has just updated the underlying node version and improved the interaction of the AVR / Streamer / DAC remote with RHEOS which I continue to test

I also use Deep Harmony so I have a Harmony macro that is for Roon and on for TV, Mrs G was watching TV, which the Model 40n is connected to via HDMI arc. It was switched to the TV macro, I pressed play on this zone by mistake as I had switched devices to control roon as my phone was running out of juice. It switches to the Roon macro so turns of the TV. As soon as I noticed I paused Roon. she switched back to TV macro but it kept switching back to the HEOS input and kept starting playing everytime. It’s never ever done this before even if I have done this many times before it only switches macro if you hit play in Roon which I hadn’t again. So something freaked out. I had to stop the extension. I then uninstalled it and removed the authorisation in readiness to reset it when you put back 8.6. So I can’t provide any logs unless it maintains them after doing all that?

OK that’s helpful.

I’ve not spent time thinking about that but will put in some things to try and control.

What I am please to hear is that it found and controlled your amp. This is different from the issues folks setting up on NAS based systems or with challenging networks setups.

Apologies to Mrs Gipsy. Mrs. Richardson has been subjected to even worse several times over the years. :wink:

I already pushed 0.8.0-6 out but think this is very much an combination of unfortunate events that it’s hard for me to anticipate. It may be that the same would have happened with 0.8-06 if you had done the same (maybe test when its not a critical time?) Would certainly be interesting to know.

Thanks for the ideas… Unfortunately, I’ve done (or verified) all that with no luck.

As of today, I am running Roon on a dedicated Protectli box running Ubuntu. I also have switched back to the RP4 running DietPi with Appgineer and RHEOS. It has been stable since about 6pm yesterday, so fingers crossed. My only problem is that the Intel Dual Core Celeron with 8MB RAM seems a little overmatched for using DSP and managing a music library. Utilization was running 90%+ but seems to have settled down to 50% or so this morning, but I have my music library disconnected. In the meantime, I have an Intel NUC i7 coming in and may switch to a ROON ROCK install on the NUC.

My guess is that Windows firewall was causing some problems but who knows. The windows install was also kind of pain since roon server would sometimes go offline for no reason and I had to reload it or reboot the box.

My hope is to get the ROCK server running with a local SSD music library and a Synology container running RHEOS. I’ll let everyone know how it goes.

I’d suggest not using ROON ROCK but running a server on a standard Linux distro.You can then easily play with docker containers and have the app run from the same box. Works really well and isn’t that difficult. (My set up when I am not testing)

Can you let me know how you have CEC control set up on the 40n and the TV?

(Auto-Play MODEL 40n)

Can you see what AUTOPLAY is set - this should override any macro if you control with the TV remote or a Harmony Remote to the TV.

It’s never done that before and I have done the same mistake many times.

I’ll check but in use currently I think I turned it off though. But not sure why that would make it keep switching to HEOS as switching macros stops Roon in this case Roon kept initialising playback.

Kent,

The protectli is underpowered to serve ROON.

  • Intel Quad Core Celeron J3160, 64 bit, up to 2.2GHz,

I believe the reason you are having issues is because this is also designed as a firewall device and that stopped connection for the needed ports between your diet pi and your windows server.

Thinking about your “Frankenstein” set up what was happening was that pi was able to find the HEOS players and the NAS server was able to configure the virtual squeeze devices that RHEOS creates. The connecting software (RHEOS) could speak between the two - hence it worked, but the firewall was blocking either discovering HEOS players from the NAS or Configuring virtal squeeze players on the pi.

A fix (hopefully) while you wait fro your NUC would be to run a docker container on the protectli …

You could then get rid of the pi if you are not using other extensions.

It would be a fail safe,I suggest so the TV can override.

There’s been no changes in the code that would result in a different behavior recently from my review. Have you made this mistake since I introduced the delayed start on power on - I could see that interfering potentially? That was a few weeks ago.

Auto play is on just checked. The delay doesn’t work on this version as I posted about that last week. It also doesn’t power off/on the amp during the macros so won’t change that behaviour. That should only affect from a cold start?

OK, that’s helpful - did you try to use the TV remote when you had the problem?

See if you can replicate with 0.8.6-0 installed.

I think I can see how this occurs. The power on/off control which appears when I create the zone will “play” ROON->HEOS after your selected time delay, irrespective of the source currently selected. This is convenient - except when someone is watching tv and you press it. x seconds later it will switch to ROON. Pressing again it should power down the receiver - but the TV auto play would override and keep it switched on potentially (but not switch back to the TV output).

To code this I will need to be able to identify that the amp is not switched to another input when auto play is selected - maybe only blocking if its the TV that is on? I like it to switch on and play ROON when I use this on my own gear.

I will play with the AVR. In the interim either turn off auto play for your 40n or don’t press the button when your wife is watching TV.

Let me know if the problem occurs with auto play off - that would be of concern.