@peter_richardson Yes, I may do this. It makes sense to host it all on one device. What are the specs of your server? The one I ordered is i7, 16GB ram and 250GB SSD.
I run on an older i713 BNK.
My wife treated me to a Nucleus Plus for my birthday a couple of years ago (:-). Pretty, but really not needed.
Any modern i7 with 16G ram and a nice SSD will serve you well. Lots of recommendations on the forum. Running RHEOS is bery low demand even with 16 devices created and multiple fixed zones.
You are up and running? Which version?
I run it all on a small mini pc from geekom cost me Ā£335, for 11 series i7 annd 16gb ram, install dietpi for x86 and itās all a doddle runs everything really well. You can buy 2nd hand nucs pretty cheap.
I know it is hard to follow my changes
, but the Protectli is not the Frankenstein setup. That was the windows box running Roon and Synology running containerized RHEOSāthis didnāt work unless I fired up the DietPi with RHEOS installed, but deactivated.
The current setup with the Protectli/Ubuntu/Roon & RP4/DietPi/RHEOS works fine but is clearly high on utilization and stressing the hardware a bit (but working fine right now). I, however, need to get a 2 TB library attached and managed, and I suspect it will be really unhappy about that combined with Roon DSP.
I like the idea of a slightly higher-end Linux server running Roon and RHEOS in a container. Iāll try this first tomorrow and see how it goes. If this acts up, Iāll go simple and install ROCK.
ROCK is great - but doesnāt allow you to run anything else. Its really an appliance.
A straightforward Ubuntu and Linux ROON sever is really trivial and we can help with the docker stuff.
My point of the Proctelli was if that was on the network at the same time as your NAS/Pi/Windows Server all sorts of ports may be blocked by it ā¦
I want to upload 0.9.3-10 but am hesitant if you are using 0.8.6-0 on extension manager. You may want to switch off updating?
Thanks - now I remember It was failing on the last 0.8.6 version and I āfixedā that with 0.9x.
Hence you had the problem when yo pressed the button. Suggest you keep it switched off when I load up the 0.9 again! Interesting - but confirms its to do with that functionality (which is used by very few I think).
So just checked this out carefully on my SR6013. the delay on power on works nicely - and doesnāt switch the input unless I select a zone control.
Iām afraid there may be an interaction here with Deep Harmony - which Iāve never used and the code is not available to look at :-(.
This also uses āsource-controlsā to interact with your device via the harmony IR. How exactly does the macro appear in your device control section. Do you use this in ROON to switch on and off the TV and switch to that input? As I donāt think Deep Harmony is actively supported any more, I may need to work on providing similar functionality in RHEOS for your Marantz amp as you wouldnāt need Deep Harmony except on other devices ā¦
Source control is set to Deep Harmony on the Marantz, you set which macros are used in the configuration It doesnt do anything for the TV stuff at all. All it does is trigger the harmony hub macro to change to the Roon setting, where only the amp is on and it uses a fake Roku device to control Roons play/pause skip etc. If its off Harmony hub sends IR command to turn on a device and can set inputs, I dont set inputs as HEOS doesn that auiomatically when playback is triggered, I dont use it for volume all though you can if Roon cannot see its device volume you can just use IR to do it from the Harmony Hub, This has worked for years and no issues and only had this issue with RHEOS yesterday.
NEW TEST tagged VERSION NOW AVAILABLE in DOCKER, NPM and GitHub
Version 0.9.3-11 has been uploaded to GitHub and to the TEST Docker images.
This addresses some minor issues in the earlier 0.9 versions
-
Autoplay (on/off and delay play) option for Denon/Marantz devices with power on and off capability is available without having AVR control switched on.
-
Addressed issue of invalid UPnP server IP address preventing creation of players
If anyone is using Deep Harmony please report any issues
Kent,
Regarding Frankenstein - so it is my understanding that with or without enabling rheos, the software is still finding the devices and configuring them and since they have been configured before, Roon can see them but the controlling either doesnāt work or is sporadic. Hence, why when you have an old rheos enabled and a new one installed but not enabled, it partially works. You are seeing the same behavior.
I think all the issues stem from networking multi-cast and broadcast issues between the devices. This is why Peter pushes for host-networking ā but you can see on this thread bullclan has bridged working well (curious if he had to do anything for multicast) and myself and a few others have a macvlan (more for separation). the cool thing about macvlan [not suggesting we add it now] is we CAN put it on the host network and carve out a segment of your host networkā¦I do this for my vpn, but I digress]
-
Sorry if you told me before, but how were you running rheos on your synology before: there are three ways, the unofficial package someone created (so its like any app install), the container manager UI, and lastly, the container manager project with yaml file or copy/paste on the screen.
-
next lets confirm your synology setup: how many nicās are active and are they bonded, or separated, or are you just using one nic?
-
if multiple nicās are in play AND they are not bonded, can we look at the static routing between them - if not properly setup, you can get cross traffic between nicās as the container manager will expose all nicsā¦[infinite ways to deal with this, of course]
-
once we confirm the synology setup and rheos container are working OK, then the variable will be the roon boxā¦
-
lastly, we can look at the setup from psense to the endpoints and what do you have in between (i suspect all connected to a main switchā¦managed, unmanaged?)
ā
I wouldnāt mind having you spin up roon and rheos as containers on the nas to see if your multicast goes away - but doing so you would lose all your history and settings on the roon side⦠[i have restored roon one time in these years and forget how much it keeps or loses]
ā
Would you like a container manager yaml file for rheos - NOTE: you can even skip the config file mapping - I ran that way for a year⦠you just ahve to re-setup your cd vs hi-res when you update the image from peter ā its a great way to take that mess out of the testing mixā¦
Peter, I am not sure how you got the appengineer to add your image to his allowed list⦠do you think he would allow you to publish a āpreviewā or ābetaā alongside the stable one?
Seems more people here like the appengineer [me, I am not much of a fan of it] and this would allow users to stay on the stable version and you to publish the betaās for the users to test to get feedback of the beta releases via the appengineer tool.
And those of us using your dockers directly can give you feedback that wayā¦
just a thoughtā¦
Patrick
I had the same thought - but no its not possible.
Howās the test version working for you?
Peter
@peter_richardson - it looks like :test is also back to 8.6 right now - I just double checked my yaml and i am pulling the test labelā¦
ā
crazy week for you⦠you need a ābuy me a coffeeā link on github
Stopped and restarted portainer stack - new image running⦠0.9.3-11ā¦
let the games begin
Yep - off to the racesā¦
Patrick,
Thank you so much for the detailed response. For a little background, I have been successfully running RHEOS with only minor issues prior to 0.9⦠My setup was Roon running on my desktop Windows 11 box and a Raspberry Pi 4 running DietPi with Appgineer. I saw some issues with the 0.9 release and just wanted more control so I installed RHEOS on Synology in a container. This is when the trouble started.
My network is pretty simple, with no vlans or subnets. It is WAN to PfSense to the netgear switch. It is a smart switch but not configured to do anything smart at this point. Synology has only one NIC in use.
I have a new NUC coming in tomorrow and plan to install Ubuntu, Roon Server and RHEOS (in docker). I should have this up tomorrow, so I want to see what happens with this setup before trying to diagnose anything on my current setup.
Kent
I think Id the issues with v 0.9 and interfering with airplay.
Iāll see if I can post a fix to test tonight ā¦
Peter
Ok, I canāt wait to see how it works out⦠my roon seems to run fast enough for me but others want faster hardware⦠curious to see if you get improvementsā¦and if its worth it to move Roon to real hardwareā¦
regarding your issues, my money is on a things: Peter had some issues with .9.2 to .9.3 trying to add features, speed up detection etc., I wonder if it was some of those updates. And two, your two instances of rheos: were they sharing the same guid for identification but roon thought they were different so you had issues where it wasnt really enabled but roon thought it was?
I am not sure if roon just uses the guid in the config file to identify the extension or if its the guid and some other hash signatureā¦
@peter, Running Stableā¦
A. first testing of your Fixed Groups since I donāt know whenā¦
Working great, volume is almost no bouncingā¦
- I created the group in HEOS
- saved it as Hi-Res in RHEOS
- renamed it in Audio Settings (it had an old name already enabled)
*question 1: should I set the Resync Delay to 500ms here or leave it at zero? - UNGROUPED in Roon
- Selected the Fixed Group and started.
- main fixed group vol was zero but others were set from old tests
- set all volumes to zero, moved main vol so they all got to the same number (no bounce)
- tweaked each volume so they were different (plus/minus keys)
*each moved independently - moved main volume with PLUS/MINUS key
*this is where one āplusā push moved some of them more than one⦠kind of like watching a bit of a wave affectā¦
HOWEVER, not outside of tolerance (one speaker moved plus 2 while another moved plus 1 or plus 3)
I will keep stress testing itā¦
Please break it - itās how we make progress!