Roon Extension : RHEOS 2-way control & 192Hz/24bit Playback and Grouping on Denon/Marantz HEOS devices now in Extension Manager

Thanks Patrick.

0.6.5-0 is now out as the latest image and is working with Roon extension manager nicely again.

Reverted to having the fixed group controlled as the last entry in the group - but now have introduced a delete setting for a fixed group. Seems to work well for me!

Did you solve saving the config settings. It looks like you need to run the container with a volume mounted. I can post instructions but you may know better than me.

I will look at not having to restart for the device resolution settings to take effect. Next version ā€¦

Lots of small bug fixes.

Peter, I am very excited to test after I am back from holidayā€¦I will recheck my volume mount tooā€¦
I think I have:
Volume1/docker/rheos:/RHEOS
should it or should not be all CAPS

1 Like

Enjoy the holiday!

New to Roon since 3 weeks, Have been reading a lot on the community, but first time postingā€¦

I seem to be having an issue similar, if not identical, to the one reported by Bas.
The extension is showing 1 HEOS device, which is correct, but Squeezebox under audio is not showing any devices.

In addition, I can see that when streaming to the Marantz via Airplay, the RHEOS extension is ā€œseeingā€ this, and ā€œreportingā€ it in the extension.

Roon Core is running in Docker on Synology NAS.
Roon Extension Manager running in Docker on Synology NAS.
RHEOS installed via Roon Extension Manager. I also tried installing RHEOS directly in Docker on the Synology NAS without Roon Extension Manager, with the same result.
Roon Core and Marantz are in the same subnet. Both are given a fixed IP from my Unifi router via DHCP.

Iā€™ve tried multiple updates, restart and reinstalls of the extension. Iā€™ve removed the different versions in Roonā€™s Extensions Authorizations, and Iā€™ve even restarted the Roon Core. Unfortunately all without luck.
For what itā€™s worth, I started playing around with the extension earlier this weekend at which time I believe it was still Version 0.5.x.

1 Like

Thanks for reporting.

Could you share a little more information please?

Did this work with the previous 0.5.x version - you have started on a weekend when I just pushed the new version (which shouldnā€™t be impacting this)

How are you running the docker image (i.e. have you specified network host in your docker run command?)

On the Settings ā†’ Audio page are any Squeezebox players shown or is the frame filled with a message saying ā€œsearching for squeezebox playersā€ (have you enabled Squeezebox Support on Setup ā†’ Enable Squeezebox Support).

Are you waiting for more than the 32 seconds shown. It takes about 45 seconds to scan the network for all players and create the needed pseudo-squeezebox players.

If the problem persists I will ask you to test the old 05.5x version, which I will load up as a docker image tagged appropriately.

Peter

Thanks for the quick response Peter!

In response to your questions:

No, it was not working with the previous 0.5.x version. I meant to clarify that in my original post, but see that I didnā€™t and just mentioned that ā€œI started playing around with itā€

Not sure that I (correctly) understandg the question about how Iā€™m running the docker image. Are your referring to the docker image of RHEOS?

• In my current setup, the docker on my Synology was launched by the Roon Extension Manager. I donā€™t think thereā€™s anything I can specify when using this approach, or is there?
  • On my other attempt, I downloaded and launched the image from the docker hub through the Synology docker app. I selected ā€œUse same network as Docker Hostā€ when launching the image.
    Not sure if the below is of any help, but Iā€™ll add it just in case. The screenshot below is of the current image that was launched through the Roon Extension Manager

I have enabled Squeezebox Support on Setup. When this is disabled, I do not see a Squeezebox section in Settings > Audio. When enabled, the Squeezebox frame is filled with the message. No Squeezebox players are showing.

I have waited past the 32 seconds shown in my screenshot. The other day I left it running all night. Currently itā€™s been running for just over 5 hours.

Sven

1 Like

Thank you for clarifying. It seems that this is not related to the new release - for me thatā€™s helpful. For you we will need to explore a little more.

I would stick to running this with the Roon Extension Manager - that way we donā€™t need to deal with Docker run settings.

I am going to push a new version to ā€œlatestā€ that you can try to update to from Roon Extension Manager.

Once you have it installed try restarting and go to RHEOS ā†’ Settings ā†’ RESET ā†’ RESET STATUS TO DEFAULTS ā†’ YES and SAVE

If you could then collect the log files ā†’ Extension Repository ā†’ Global Action ā†’ Collect Logs and send them to me I can take a look at what is potentially causing the problem.

I will pm an email address if you are successful.

So sorry for the inconvenience. The version will show as 0.6.5-1 once uploaded.

Uploaded to Docker :slight_smile:

Thanks, that was it! I had to enable Squeezebox Support and now it is working. I pulled the latest image, not the test image.

Cinema 50 is sounding great, I also purchased the Dirac live license today to perform a full room correction. Rheos is not working not superb so far, it plays decent but it is a bit slow when switching tracks and sometimes I lose volume control. Will play around with the settings a bitā€¦

2 Likes

Great to hear.

Enjoy and let me know of any feature requests or issues.

1 Like

Thanks Peter. Absolutely no need to apologise. Iā€™m grateful for all your efforts.
Iā€™ve sent you a PM with a link to the logs.

Thanks Peter for your help! Just a small question, with every track I hear a short stutter after 1 second after starting a track. Buffer already is on ā€˜largeā€™. Any suggestions? Do you recommend to use fixed IP for the AVR?

Yes - fixed IPs can be helpful (but not essential).

Try setting the Resync Delay in device setting to 500ms (and perhaps test other delays) and let me know if that resolves the ā€œstutterā€.

You get to the device setup by clicking on the device volume and then selecting the ā€œcogā€

Once again, thank you Peter for your continued support on my issue. Iā€™m answering in this thread rather than via a PM as I was able to identify the root cause of the issue of the issue I was experiencing. I believe this could be helpful for others who might encounter a similar issue in the future.

The problems turned out to be an issue of conflicting ports. As Iā€™ve never used LMS, I did not think too much of the message stating ā€œmake sure that LMS is turned offā€. However, as I had tried everything else, and the logs confirmed that the Marantz AVR was correctly identified, there was not much left but LMS related aspects.

I started doing some investigation on what LMS was, and more specifically what network ports it was using. It is here that I discovered that LM is using TCP port 9000 among others. This also happens to be the port Iā€™m using for a ā€œminioā€ docker that is running on my NAS.

I stopped the minio docker, toggled the ā€œEnable Squeezebox Supportā€ switch in Roon Settings > Setup and my receiver showed up a Squeezebox audio device!

For now, I turned Squeezebox/RHEOS off as I need the minio. I will do some investigation to see if/how I can switch it to a different port. Once this is done, I will certainly come back to RHEOS for additional testing.

Once again, thanks for all the help!

2 Likes

Thatā€™s super helpful.

Iā€™ll look into being able to change the LMS port as an option.

I will need to do some exploration.

Thanks for testing.

Peter

1 Like

Just to add - I have no way of controlling the port used here. If I am missing something or others know better please let me know.

Thanks for the update Peter. No worries. Now that I know what is causing the issue, there are a number of options to investigate. I will be able to solve this and learn something in the process. :smiley:

@SvenM have you thought of using macvlan on your synology docker? All my entertainment devices are on a vlan (20)ā€¦I dedicate a nic on my nas to the subnet 10.10.20.0 and setup dedicated paths on nasā€¦I can send screenshots when back from holiday ( no vlan on the nic in synology as the switch does the workā€¦unifi switch and pfsense firewall)ā€¦ With a macvlan setup the subnet for your roon et al can use all the ports again)

2 Likes

Thatā€™s pretty smart!

Thanks for the suggestion @patrick_mccarthy!

My entire network is using unifi and I already have different VLANs in place. In fact I had to temporarily move my audio devices into the Synology VLAN while figuring out a proper solution. Something I wasnā€™t too happy about, but I was too excited about Roon not to do it. This sounds like 2 birds with 1 stone :smiley:

I have no experience with that so I will need to investigate. Any screenshots would certainly be helpful. Enjoy your vacation.